SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Musing of the day....would the world be better without Religion/faith??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musing of the day....would the world be better without Religion/faith?? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Religion, sex, and politics have a long history of being intertwined. One might say they are part and parcel of being human.

Politics - the act of achieving power and influence -- is part and parcel of being human. That's how rulers got to be rulers, some realized it was much better to be king than to be a peasant.

Religion has been used by the political ruling class to support their power. Most ancient civilizations viewed their rulers as diety. Even today, in "godless" North Korea, the attributes ascribed to the 3 generations of its latest leaders can only be described as godlike. For example, being born on a sacred mountain, bowling a perfect 300 and golfing spectularly on first time doing so, etc. Even in America, one can argue politicians are using the religion of "mother earth" to garner power vis a vis climate change and its likes.

I have to throw in sex because it's been there all along with the first two. In Greece, temple prostitution was part of the prevailing religion.

To ask would the world be better off without religion is the same as asking would the world be better off without people. When you have people, you get politics, religion, and sex.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20019 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Religion, sex, and politics have a long history of being intertwined. One might say they are part

To ask would the world be better off without religion is the same as asking would the world be better off without people. When you have people, you get politics, religion, and sex.

Funny you put it that way. I have often expressed the view that I'm OK with God, we get along just fine. It's God's children who give me the vapors.

Other times, I realize that if everybody always acted and talked like I believe they should, I would have had to go to barber college. So I'm grateful for that.

Mark Twain wrote at some length how in the Christian depictions of heaven, there is no provision for sex, no mention.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Religion, sex, and politics have a long history of being intertwined. One might say they are part and parcel of being human.

Excellent point;
And also related to the tenuous validity of those atheists who claim they can be "moral" without invoking a deity. The very concept of what we consider "morality" is influenced by being emersed in cultures that have all been dominated by religious beliefs throughout all of human history.
So it is sort of like asserting that "I can kill my children without having to have it be a sacrifice to Baal."
I don't know if that anaolgy really captures the meaning, but it is like they claim they can do what religion advocates without admitting that religion is the source of the reason society considers it "good".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Crom,

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post