SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Musing of the day....would the world be better without Religion/faith??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musing of the day....would the world be better without Religion/faith?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 28 | Registered: November 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palooka84:
Yes

quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Nope.

And that's the way it is; Wednesday, May 10, 2017

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
That's the point. Morality was driven by religion. People wouldn't adhere to an set of moral precepts for the sake of public civility, they had to be threatened with eternal damnation in order to get them to do it.

Of course we understand a lot more about how things work in the universe now. We're far from understanding everything, or even a small fraction of everything. But we do understand independently much more about things where the major religions attempted to establish a monopoly of understanding, and those religions have been shown to be wrong. This has much of the population questioning the validity of those religions themselves. And the more their validity is questioned, the more the morality those religions imposed, breaks down.

So if people won't believe that god (whoever that might be) demands they adhere to moral code, how do you keep civilization from breaking down?

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Many conclude that religion in some form is essential to motivate humans to some form of morality. You'll be "good" if you risk going to hell.

That may be a misunderstanding of people of faith.

The threat of hell doesn't really motivate the believers I know. Gratitude may have more to do with why many people of faith act the way they do.

Of course, different religions may motivate adherents in a variety of ways.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just have days where I picture Jesus/God rubbing the sides of his head sighing as he looks down on us thinking "you dumb shits".

I am not a Biblical scholar, but I study the Bible because to NOT is to be woefully ignorant of what it teaches and reveals.

The Book of Romans, otherwise known as Paul's Letter to the Romans is the clearest example of what it means to be a Christian. He describes man's sinful nature due to our rebellion against God. He then explains how we are saved by the blood of Jesus.

And it is ONLY through accepting Christ's life, death and resurrection that we are granted salvation. This is Grace. There is nothing we can do, buy, earn or work that will get us into Heaven.

But that's where many sects of Christianity stray. My Bible memory verse is Ephesians 2:8-9: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—- 9 not by works, so that no one can boast." (NIV)

Many religions require sacrifice, atonement, tithing, missions and so on. While the intent of some of these may be admirable, they are NOT tenets of Christianity.

I've worked with Buddhists, Hindus, Islamists, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, Catholics and so on. The Hindu religion consists of some 33 MILLION gods. Buddhism is a works-based faith, based on the idea of achieving godhood through living a holy life. Most of the people I know who profess to be one religion or another are in truth, not. Most "Christians" are what I call "checklist Christians:" I'll go to church on Sunday and check the box off my list.

Yet all the horrors propagated by those in the name of religion, the number pales in comparison to the sheer evil perpetrated by the "godless" types.

No, I think we would be worse off without religion.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's the point. Morality was driven by religion. People wouldn't adhere to an set of moral precepts for the sake of public civility, they had to be threatened with eternal damnation in order to get them to do it.

I don't see it that way at all.

My faith does not keep me in line with threats of hell.

It gives me a path to heaven. I respectfully think you are looking at it wrong.

For God so LOVED the world...

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Why eliminate religion (the following of one's faith)? Why not just eliminate hate, greed and jealousy?

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:

quote:
Many conclude that religion in some form is essential to motivate humans to some form of morality. You'll be "good" if you risk going to hell.

The threat of hell doesn't really motivate the believers I know. Gratitude may have more to do with why many people of faith act the way they do.

That may be true to a certain extent now, but has not always been thus, over the 2,000 years of Christianity as it has from time to time existed, been practiced, and evolved.

Some of my ancestors were itinerant preachers, going around preaching hell fire and brimstones, I imagine, that good old time religion. I heard some stemwinders in my youth, not from long ago ancestors but from their successors.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Two sides of the same coin. Behave how the religion dictates and be rewarded. Don't, and be punished.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:

I don't see it that way at all.

My faith does not keep me in line with threats of hell.

It gives me a path to heaven. I respectfully think you are looking at it wrong.

For God so LOVED the world...

-----------------------------------------

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You're bringing politics into this thread?

Apologies, Parabellum. Politics was not my intent although I see that the politics of Global warming does eclipse the point that those who are true believers treat it as a religion. There are many, even published, parallels. PITA people are the same as well as Feminists/FEMEN, so called social justice or more benign, fly fishing, and sports team loyalties. My intent was to illustrate how human nature is to seek faithful enthusiasms and in doing so, the more he invests himself, the more enthusiastic he becomes. Global warming was not a good choice for my illustration. Regardless of my intent, it did introduce politics into a clearly non political thread. That's bad form, I know. I'll be more careful.

I would like to note that not all enthusiasms are equal in value to humanity. I think moral religious teaching has the highest value of them all.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
My question is, would the world be a better place sans religion? We have killed ALOT of people in the name of our chosen deity (whom I believe to be shaking his or her head at thinking we are idjits).

Who is this We?
I have killed no one.

For whom are you responsible?

"The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son.
The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself."
- Ezekiel 18:20

This passage teaches the principle of individual responsibility in salvation. Each person is accountable before God for His own life.

Oh, I've killed a few, or assisted materially in same. And for a lot more pragmatic reasons than the name of a diety. And I think they deserved it, and I believe the Diety in whom I believe would approve. A trusted friend once told me "If you have no enemies, you have no principles" and I sincerely believe that. So the presence of absence of "religion" in isolated context does not improve or worsen the human condition, but the principles behind whatever faith or belief, or absence of, either raise men from death, chaos and destruction, or promote it, in the least and greatest of things. And we have seen this played out on the world stage again and again, centuries before and in living memory, even with our breakfast cereal this morning. I like to believe I have chosen wisely; I expect some day to find out.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Tubetone
quote:
quote:

quote:

That may be true to a certain extent now, but has not always been thus, over the 2,000 years of Christianity as it has from time to time existed, been practiced, and evolved.

Some of my ancestors were itinerant preachers, going around preaching hell fire and brimstones, I imagine, that good old time religion. I heard some stemwinders in my youth, not from long ago ancestors but from their successors.

I am not commenting on conversion. Fire and Brimstone is often discussed in salvation messages in the Christian tradition.

BUT . . . what motivates actions in life after conversion is not usually born of a fear of going to hell. Christian life, unless in a non-mainstream "good works" sect, emerges from gratefulness, humility and a sense of obligation to give to others in light of what was given to a recipient of grace - at least in my experience.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How does it figure in that Jesus Himself spoke more of Hell than Heaven?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16899 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tubetone
quote:
quote:

quote:

I am not commenting on conversion. Fire and Brimstone is often discussed in salvation messages in the Christian tradition.

BUT . . . what motivates actions in life after conversion is not usually born of a fear of going to hell. Christian life, unless in a non-mainstream "good works" sect, emerges from gratefulness, humility and a sense of obligation to give to others in light of what was given to a recipient of grace - at least in my experience.

Nor am I.

You have to be reminded to stay "converted" in some quarters, apparently.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best people that I have known and the worst people that I have known were very religious. Religion can be a vehicle for good but it also is all too often a vehicle for evil. I believe that religion is not the problem it is the people that exploit it for their evil purpose.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
No, I do not think the world would be better without religion.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Variants of this notwithstanding, the point remains --

“Without God all things are permitted.” -- Dostoyevsky

I'll add --

"I don't know if God exists but I do know I am not God." -- David Horowitz

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I am Catholic. I go to church at least once a week. I participate in the sacraments regularly.

I've found that so often people who do not practice religion speak of it as if they are an authority. They seem to think it's something you can read in a book or study the history of and then understand faith and what it is to practice. Or even more amusingly, they'll say I was raised religious...and thus we are to believe them to be an absolute authority.

I used to fight these fights but with age have learned not to.

Simply put, if one doesn't practice religion, really practice it, they don't know the first thing about it. Unfortunately, these people often speak authoritatively on the subject.

Religion can't be studied and thus understood. It must be lived, period.

Christ told us what to do. Pretending he didn't would not make the world a better place at all.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them . . . .

It would seem the Founders looked to a "higher source" for guidance on moral principles.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
Probably.

-Loungechair

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post