SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How prevalent on other boards is the practice of giving away goods (what we refer to as a "karma")?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How prevalent on other boards is the practice of giving away goods (what we refer to as a "karma")? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Many years (2006) ago the nicoclub forum had some pretty good giveaways. The Tacoma forum I am still (sort of) a part of, has the human centipede giveaway. It’s a bunch of guys that join. Everyone has that water bottle from the gym that’s still new, or that old _____ out in the garage. Pack that stuff up and send it. On the “go” date, everyone takes the package they put together and mails it.

So that being said, no. There is not a public forum that one can join, ad free, with no membership fees, that also has members who just give to each other. It’s like nowhere I have ever been on the internet. Most blood relatives are not as generous as many of the members here are. It’s a pretty amazing place.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wait. What?

There are other forums?

SigForum, best place on the planet.

Thanks Para, for all you do. Thanks also to the other mods.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Didn't member Chance pull the plug on his karma selector software? How are we even conducting karma's now?
I believe mark123 has created and published a replacement karmanator. IIRC he also offered up his code for community review. Perhaps he could comment?

Yes he did. Mark is awesome.

Here it is: Mark123's Karma Kreation Thing

Karma picker, Youtube Embedder, and SigForum Search Engine.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't been in a lot of other gun boards, but I don't recall seeing any giveaways, "karma" style or otherwise, on any of them, let alone anything as expensive as watches, firearms, gift certificates, etc. I'd have to say this one is unique.

Circa 2014, I posted that I had bought a new gun and what do I find in my e-mail but an offer to give me some magazines for it that he wasn't using. I was floored. (The member wanted to remain anonymous then so I assume he wants to now.)

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It's not unique to this board, but its MUCH more prevalent on this board. I'm routinely astounded by the generosity of the folks here. It's a quality group of people.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
A blacksmith group I am a part of will donate time and things we make. These get purchased, some are a silent auction. The proceeds support either the group, or a member in need.

but I have never been involved in anything like Sigforum. I have told some of my stories in other threads, but I love this place and deeply value my membership here.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's further evidence of the remarkably generous nature of forum members.

It seems konata88 has been quite busy these days. Today, I received a very fine watch from forum member Dave Truong at Mimi's Jewelry, compliments of konata88. This is easily the finest watch I've ever owned and probaby ever will own.

It's perfect for me- a supertough, straight-up timepiece with tritium illumination. Not even a date window and that's great. I love it. The steel bracelet will be going on it.

My sincere thanks to you, konata88, and to you as well, Dave. As I told Dave, I feel it's too much, but you ain't getting it back. Wink

Seriously, thank you Smile

Everyone of us who feels the world is falling apart right now should take heart- the good people are still out there, and some of them are in this forum

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hi Para, it's difficult to express how invaluable this place you provide is, at least to me. It serves many foundational pillars of everyday life. It's a place of education, of information, of entertainment, of expertise, of opinion, and of friendship.

For this, I'm truly appreciative and thankful. I'm honored to have been a guest and member here for the past 10+ years.

And a shout again to Dave for enabling such fantastic karmas, in addition to the ones he provides. Dave is absolutely good people. If anyone should require products or services for which Dave could provide, he is definitely the go-to man. My advice to the forum given multiple experiences with Dave.

Thank you Para. And thank you Dave. And thank you to the forum members.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am a member of just a few fora, but only one has any form of karma in our sense. And that forum's members do not give items away with the frequency of our members.

I am a member on one Facebook group where the members do the occasional give a away.

We may not be unique, but are more generous than any others I know.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Okay, that gets me thinking...

I've sent a few "surprises" to my favorite members. And obviously other member are doing it as well, so that means the amount of Karmas being given are likely WAY higher than we see.

That's pretty cool to think about. He'll I got several bottle of soju alone to pass out on my road trip Smile one members haul is looking like it might need its own checked bag!!!

I love this place.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don’t really know about other forums.

But the kindness and generosity here in this house continues to surprise and amaze. Huge shout out to stickman428 as a recent example.

Good people. Good company. Good food. Good protection. What a great place.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I haven’t seen it. Sometimes I offer stuff up for free if the mood strikes and the circumstance allows.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
When my son was born just shy of 10 years ago...a bunch of members here showered me with gifts. Not just gifts, personal, handmade, thoughtful and useful gifts. When my wife and I were going through a tough financial time about 6 years ago, another very generous member here gave us a very generous gift again...helping me to bless my wife in a rough season, beyond my means at the time.

I've seen other forums, typically verified combat veteran groups...have similar generous giftings and people looking out for the brotherhood type stuff, but honestly enough of them are a scam that it makes everyone leery. Never once have I had that impression here.

I try to give back, here, and have felt the pull to do more so. Not by any single person, or peer pressure, but rather I'm often so overwhelmed by the generosity I see constantly on this forum, that I WANT to be as generous as others have been to me and others.

I hope this is coming out right.

To answer your question, Para, yes I've seen it on other boards I'm a part of. It is simply not the same though. The culture of this forum has been distilled down to a special place. Not a perfect place, but something rare and difficult to repeat nonetheless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
...have similar generous giftings and people looking out for the brotherhood type stuff, but honestly enough of them are a scam that it makes everyone leery.
I can't help but be curious about this statement. Without getting into the specifics of where and who, how would a scam work when giving away things? I am not challenging your statement. I'm just curious how that would work.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
...have similar generous giftings and people looking out for the brotherhood type stuff, but honestly enough of them are a scam that it makes everyone leery.
I can't help but be curious about this statement. Without getting into the specifics of where and who, how would a scam work when giving away things? I am not challenging your statement. I'm just curious how that would work.

Sorry for the delay in response

This incident comes to mind as a good example of what I'm talking about, it took me a while to track down a post where a link could be shared and viewed without a membership:

https://www.rallypoint.com/ans...zRF2Nr7w4s60tEn8Nk8M

The situation started in what appeared innocent enough, members of a vetted group just helping out a brother in need. Later it came out he was a professional scammer. He even got prosecuted for it. Prior to that, it was extremely common in the group to raise money, pay for food, help out with rent, even lend cars and significantly more generous outpourings. It all came crashing down when Robert Jones, and a few others, were finally exposed.

Several employees of wounded warrior project were caught skimming and scamming the groups also.

**edit: The "where" was primarily on the OEF/OIF Nation facebook group, but this particular scammer was hitting up Rallypoint, and other veterans forums also. The old Warriorpointe organization, before going bust, was one of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Para, that watch is a beauty. Big fan of Luminox.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5912 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Only other forum I am a member of is related to RV. Have not seen a single Karma.

This is the ONLY forum I have seen that have generous members.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Maryland Shooters has had numerous karma's. None as nice as 12131 or David Truong however.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1729 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
The uniqueness of this community is built on the human element of the community. We authentically care about one another and help elevate one another. Sure we'll bust each other's balls but we are like one big family.

Gosh...when I joined I think there were only like 10k or less members.

Thank you all for all you do!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6015 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Here's further evidence of the remarkably generous nature of forum members.

It seems konata88 has been quite busy these days. Today, I received a very fine watch from forum member Dave Truong at Mimi's Jewelry, compliments of konata88. This is easily the finest watch I've ever owned and probaby ever will own.

It's perfect for me- a supertough, straight-up timepiece with tritium illumination. Not even a date window and that's great. I love it. The steel bracelet will be going on it.

My sincere thanks to you, konata88, and to you as well, Dave. As I told Dave, I feel it's too much, but you ain't getting it back. Wink

Seriously, thank you Smile

Everyone of us who feels the world is falling apart right now should take heart- the good people are still out there, and some of them are in this forum

ALWAYS wear it in good health my friend

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6015 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post