SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How prevalent on other boards is the practice of giving away goods (what we refer to as a "karma")?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How prevalent on other boards is the practice of giving away goods (what we refer to as a "karma")? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although as noted the computerized karma selector is still available, it’s not necessary to have something like that to make a totally random selection. What’s necessary? A single die (half of a pair of dice) or even a coin of some sort.

The process is time consuming at first, but quickly leads to a result.
Make a list of the entrants and throw the die or flip the coin for each one. Decide in advance which result will eliminate someone from the running: even number or heads in, odd number or tails out.

After running through the list the first time it will be reduced to about half, and half of that will be left after the second run. When you get to six or fewer, assign each a number and throw the die one last time.

Example with 50 entrants:
First run, about 25 left.
Second run 12 or 13 left.
Third run about 6 left.
Fourth run: a winner.

With a die, it will go even faster if the “in” group is selected by those who get a single specified number. If you start with 50 entrants and only those who get a 6 when the die is tossed continue to the second run, 50 becomes about 8 or 9.

If you expect a large number of entrants, use the die toss and a single number to screen people as they enter rather than waiting until the end.
“Okay, Jones, you got a six, so you’re in for the second run. Smith, you got a four, so you’re out.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The only other forum I currently use is a very small group of good friends for over 20 years and we help each other out from time to time. Let’s not forget the instant karmas that happen here also. I’ve posted before that I was looking for some small item and BAM email asking me for my mailing address with no payment required.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Like most of the posts so far other forum karmas seem to be few and far between.
Actually the diversity of the karmas offered here is one of the things that initially interested me in becoming a member. That’s not to say I joined to win something but that I wanted to be part of a group that cared enough about it’s members to offer these karmas.

I have won one or two over the years and have offered one up. I guess it’s time for another one soon!

Thanks Para!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It isn’t just the karmas. The kindness I have witnessed first hand and myself received from this forum’s membership is unrivaled.

This. I've had several of my "imaginary friends" go out of their way for me. I've tried to do the same when I can. It's a tribe.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I've seen other boards where members post Karmas plus one where there is a pages long "Pay It Forward" thread that has been going for quite a while.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3455 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are a couple other forums that I frequent where folks will post about needing a certain small part, and someone will offer it up for free. That's usually about the extent of the giveaways.

Nothing like on SigForum.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I belong to one other forum that has periodic Karma's and a couple of big giveaways over the fourth and Christmas holidays, which may include a firearm as top prize.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2093 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Haven’t really noticed the kindness and giving on other forums. While i am a member on many other forums i hardly ever got to them.
I have seen lots of acts of kindness here and i have given small items and received a few one really meaningful gift was given to me by member Bytes. I was in the hospital for ten days and was having problems seeing and using my Iphone 6. V-Tail started a thread seeking an Ipad and member Bytes purchased a new Ipad and had it sent to me while i was in the hospital. This was before covid but the whole stay was really stressful and the whole effort and well wishes were very meaningful at the time and still to this day. It meant a lot to me.

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

member Bytes purchased a new Ipad and had it sent to me while i was in the hospital.
I do not know Bytes personally, but he impresses me as one cool dude.

On a similar note, after surgery to implant supporting hardware for fractured hip and thigh, I was incarcerated in a residential rehab center for a month and a half, learning to get out of bed without assistance, get onto walker or into wheelchair, to start regaining independence.

During that time, Brecaidra and Bryan11 sent me a care package that lightened life a bit.

The rehab facility's wifi had a block on many websites, including SIGforum. The Monkey sent me a hockey-puck type thing that grabbed SIGforum from the cellular network.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
When I was active on a couple of other forums, I did see some small giveaways from time to time. I've never seen anything near the level of generosity demonstrated by Sig Forum members anywhere else, whether it be karmas or other offers to help others.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I "won" some Colt Officers ACP mags on another forum. I quote "won" because I always kind of thought the fix was in, mostly likely in response to an ongoing good deed I did for about a decade.

I've seen lots of stuff given away on forums, in all types of ways, but nothing as consistently or with items of such high monetary value as goes on here.

Posts: 21115 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Can't say that it's common on anything else I'm on, but have to admit I've cut the boards down over time. It's certainly used more on SF than any I'm on...

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I only seldom visit one other forum. I have joined others in the past but haven't gone back. I visit here very regularly because I like it here and I always find the info I need here.

I have learned so much here. Many times I just read and find what I need. Sometimes I make a post and ask. I found this place as a very young newly sworn-in policeman and never looked back. Now, years of real life experience and firearms instructor experience under my belt I still have much more to learn.

With all that being said, I haven't seen karma anywhere else with my limited experience. This place is truly a needle in a haystack and I'm glad to be here. I'm even more glad, that everyone else is here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Posts: 3447 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Didn't member Chance pull the plug on his karma selector software? How are we even conducting karma's now?
I believe mark123 has created and published a replacement karmanator. IIRC he also offered up his code for community review. Perhaps he could comment?

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly active on 3 forums (including here & this being my 'home').

The Karma & generosity shown here have no equal, by a large margin.

As others have mentioned, there are the occasional 'pay it forward' type events, but on a pretty tiny scale, and usually in response to someone's query for a recommendation.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have won a few Karma’s and have given out several Karma’s.

The way I have chosen is to count the # of entries and ask someone to choose a # between 1-total number of entries.

It’s a fair and random way to pick the winners.

The other forums I frequent have give away contests once in a while.

Nothing like the way the SIGforum gives. Not even close.

I have also never seen a forum come together and save people’s life like I’ve seen here….

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3490 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No, not like here.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy it here and the the generosity of the membership here can't be beat.

I respectfully don't enter Karmas of something I don't need.

This place is awesome.

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I've belonged to a couple of car forums and a book discussion forum over the years. None had anything similar to SF's karmas.

I currently belong to a forum with a lot of international members. In that particular forum the members are really good about offering up stamps, coins, and other small tokens from all over the world. Someone sent me coins from the German Empire dating from the late 1800s. Made my day! Smile

So, in my limited experience, this forum is unique in its spontaneous generosity. I also recall instances where SF members rallied to help another forum member with a serious financial or personal problem.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I am only on one other forum. There are no Karma posts. I peruse several others looking in the classified sections.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post