SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grand Canyon tour
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Canyon tour Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My family went several years ago (7 I think), and we visited in late April or early May. We walked the south rim trail from the visitors center west and took the shuttle back. We then drove out if the visitors center heading east along the south rim ending up in Cameron. We had made Flagstaff our hub for four days, and on the day we went to the Grand canyon, we left at 5am to get to Grand canyon village by sunrise. I think we made it back to our hotel around 9pm that night.

Looking back, I'd break it into 2 days, and do a helicopter ride into the canyon, and do more hiking. If you are simply looking to see the awe and grandeur of the canyon, take the route mentioned above. Stop at all the points east of the visitors center (yaki, Grandview, Moran, lipan and deset view). If you are a photag, you can loose yourself and get some out of this world shots on the drive to Cameron.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I did a helicopter tour, it was absolutely amazing!

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Sn3uppy, that was good, solid info to share with the forum. You mentioned cars being looted, is that location remote, or just a bunch of thieves roaming?

The place where cars get broken into isn't at the south rim areas frequented by most tourists, but parking for the hike down to Supai falls (sometimes called havasupai falls); it's part of the havasupai reservation, and it's the locals that will rip off the cars. It's been going on for a long, long time.

quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
We got snowed in at Jacob's Lake a few years ago.

I did an ambulance run up there many years ago, just east of Jacob Lake. Snow was six feet deep in many places. A car was off the road, against a tree, doors open, nobody around. We couldn't find enough footprints to track them, searched the area, and found no one. Mother with a baby traveling, from what I recall. Someone must have picked them up; we never found anyone, and I don't recall much else. I do remember putting on turnout gear to go up there, though; it was quite cold.

quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
Good suggestions so far thanks all. I wonder what the possibility of snow will be as it will be in the dead of winter so I’m not sure how much snow they get. Is it better to go in spring or summer?

Webcams, current info:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn...ltimedia/webcams.htm

From Sunday:

(south rim entrance)

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post