SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grand Canyon tour
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Canyon tour Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So my wife and I are going to Vegas soon and we have been kicking around the idea of doing a Grand Canyon tour. I’m not really wanting to spend 4 hours in a bus each way though it looks like the south rim is more beautiful than the west rim so if I’m gonna do it then I’m gonna go for it. Was also kicking around idea of helicopter tour though we really want to actually hike a bit so not sure what’s best tour for a day trip from the strip. Any ideas?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
A day trip to and from is a waste, IMO. Consider a stay in Williams for the night and then get up the next day and drive the last 50 miles to the GC.

It's a longer trip RT than you think from Vegas.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I think you mean the North Rim and the South Rim, not sure where you got “West.”

South Rim is much more developed than the North Rim—much more. I prefer the North Rim, especially since the Kaibab Plateau is so beautiful. Old growth Ponderosa pine are referred to as “yellow barks,” because the bark on old ones turn a golden yellow. The Plateau has a bunch of old growth P pine. Big and majestic. The famous Kaibab mule deer herd is found on the north side too. This may be the toughest tag to draw for muleys in the country.

On the other hand. If you get to Williams, AZ on the south side (where we used to live), you can take a train up to the South Rim. That’s enjoyable enough that we did it a couple of times.

My wife gave me a helicopter flight at the Canyon for my b-day. It was aw-ii-ight. Quite a few years ago enviros sued to stop flights below the rim, and they were successful. It’s still pretty neat, but you don’t get to drop down into the Canyon so...

Looks like the person posting below me had a different experience. Guess I don’t know as much as I thought I did

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
a few years back I did a Helicopter tour and expensive but was money well spent.

We got to land in the canyon and was still about 700-1000' below the rim and a long ways down to the river. Lunch/snack was provided there. Another hop over to Hoover Dam for a quick view and back to Vegas. At the end you also got a tape of the ride or sent a tape? The view of the strip from a Helicopter is also a nice view. They have different times to go out.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I think you mean the North Rim and the South Rim, not sure where you got “West.”

South Rim is much more developed than the North Rim—much more. I prefer the North Rim, especially since the Kaibab Plateau is so beautiful. Old growth Ponderosa pine are referred to as “yellow barks,” because the bark on old ones turn a golden yellow. The Plateau has a bunch of old growth P pine. Big and majestic. The famous Kaibab mule deer herd is found on the north side too. This may be the toughest tag to draw for muleys in the country.

On the other hand. If you get to Williams, AZ on the south side (where we used to live), you can take a train up to the South Rim. That’s enjoyable enough that we did it a couple of times.

My wife gave me a helicopter flight at the Canyon for my b-day. It was aw-ii-ight. Quite a few years ago enviros sued to stop flights below the rim, and they were successful. It’s still pretty neat, but you don’t get to drop down into the Canyon so...

Looks like the person posting below me had a different experience. Guess I don’t know as much as I thought I did

The North Rim has a hard closure on Oct 15 so that's that. There is a West Rim but it's on an Indian reservation and the least popular of the 3. The entrance fee is $80 or so, IIRC.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
The North Rim has a hard closure on Oct 15 so that's that. There is a West Rim but it's on an Indian reservation and the least popular of the 3. The entrance fee is $80 or so, IIRC.
That would be the Havasupai I guess. Like I said, I don’t know as much as I thought I did.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be the Havasupai I guess. Like I said, I don’t know as much as I thought I did.

West rim is Hualapai. I used to fly tours in there before it was paved, just a dirt scratch on the rim, and none of the tourist stuff that's there now. You can drive there via Peach Springs.

Havasupai are found down inside the canyon; the Havasupai reservation draws much of its income from tours to Supai Falls, which are spectacular. You can drive to the top of the trail, but be aware that there's a high probability that anything left in your car will be stolen while you're gone. There are helicopter rides down to Supai falls, but expensive, and the landing site down there is mostly used for river emergency extractions.

North Rim is closed, snowed in, in accessible this time of year. You can get as far as Jacobs Lake up on top of the Kiabab, but that's it. The road will be closed just south of there, and isn't open or maintained down to the park.

South Rim is open year round. You can get flights from Vegas at North Las Vegas airport. If you visit the canyon on the ground, you'll only see a small portion of it. The park covers 277 miles of river and canyon; there's a lot more to see from the air. I flew the grand canyon for several years, doing tours, river runners, photography, and fire, including a lot of takeoffs and landings down inside the canyon and a lot of flight in the canyon.

You should be aware that the pilots who fly the canyon are, in most cases, low time and inexperienced; for many those are time building jobs. The flights are generally safe. There have been a few wrecks out there, however, that leave one scratching one's head. There's a place opposite Parashant Wash called "gus's plateau." You won't find it on any map, but it's where a Piper Navajo full of tourists flew head-on into the cliff, and the arc of the propellers is still inscribed in the rock. Some of the wreckage is still out there (there's some wreckage of an F-100 out of Nellis that hit a wire near Quartermaster Canyon, too). The pilot (gus) made a wrong turn in the canyon when flying with low weather, and left himself no way out.

The nature of the canyon changes considerably depending on the time of year and the weather. In the winter, it can be quite cold and sometimes icy, but it's a spectacular place when white with snow and layers of clouds down inside.

You'll have plenty to see from the South Rim.

If you have the time, you can catch the train at Williams. It makes a stop at the Valle airport. The air museum there is good, but only open April to October. You can take the train to the Grand Canyon, and you can overnight and take the train back the next day.

I never tired of the canyon (the "ditch"). I spent a lot of time in, on, and over there, and when I first moved to the Canyon area, I read everything I could find, Powell's journals, everything, studied the history and geology. It's a fantastic place.

Past the north side, Zion is worth visiting, as is Bryce Canyon.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
The most frequently asked question to the Park Rangers on either side of the canyon...…????

Wheres the bathroom???

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I think you'd want to overnight on a trip to the South Rim. If you ever get the chance, book a room at the North Rim, I like it a lot better than the South, you'd want to sit at the Lodge for Sunset/Sunrise.

Terrific info from sns3guppy.

We got snowed in at Jacob's Lake a few years ago.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
A day trip to and from is a waste, IMO. Consider a stay in Williams for the night and then get up the next day and drive the last 50 miles to the GC.

It's a longer trip RT than you think from Vegas.

My family took a LV vacation in early 2016. We also took a bus to GC and with teenaged kids, it was a long, LONG, L O N G trip. But worth it, even though we only got 2 hours along the (likely) south rim (very commercial).

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Sn3uppy, that was good, solid info to share with the forum. You mentioned cars being looted, is that location remote, or just a bunch of thieves roaming?

I visited the Grand Canyon years ago, but only for a half day at the South Rim. Staying in Flagstaff, and rode a small bus round trip, part of my Amtrak trip. But thats okay, All the scenery was new to me. Only was at the South Rim for a half day, so really couldn't see a lot other than the trails. I hiked from the Visitors Centet to the end of trail and rode a shuttle back.

I did buy some souvenirs from the gift shop there. My understanding the gift shop changed . ownership in recent past years.

Yes, the South Rim is very commercial, but at least on my tight schedule, I got to visit the Canyon. I thought northern Arizona was beautiful, and spent 4 days in Flagstaff, which I really liked.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I took the bus trip 10 years ago. You could still drive across the dam then. On the trip back, got to see the dam at night.

It was worth it to me.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

West rim is Hualapai. I used to fly tours in there before it was paved, just a dirt scratch on the rim, and none of the tourist stuff that's there now. You can drive there via Peach Springs.

Havasupai are found down inside the canyon; the Havasupai reservation draws much of its income from tours to Supai Falls, which are spectacular.
I’ve been gone too long from N Arizona. Sitting here thinking about it now and it’s been 19 years...wow.
I reversed the two tribes.

There was a fire on the Hualapai Res and I was asked to take a truck with supplies to fire camp. I left Williams in the evening and reached the reservation in total darkness. Two of the biggest elk I’ve ever seen crossed the road in front of me. Monsters. Royals with antlers that swept all the way back to near their rumps.

I loved N Arizona, and only left because of my career. In fact, I loved Arizona.period. I was there before Prescott was ruined by cancerous population growth. Hell, Bell Road in Phoenix still had citrus groves on it when my, now wife, and I would drive from Wickenburg to visit her folks.

I thoroughly enjoyed my college experience, both CC in Prescott, and the University of Arizona in Tucson. It was a great state. I’m homesick, albeit for the Arizona I used to know.

posted Hide Post
Have done them all. North rim is my favorite but may not be open and is the hardest to get to. Best done Spring to Fall in conjunction with the Utah Big 5 parks when you have 10-14 days to dedicate to doing it right. Some excellent hiking to be had.
Helo tour was cool as hell. Do the afternoon tour to catch return along the strip all lit up at dusk. Pro tip, they rotate you through the seat positions after each stop. You want to be in the front when you take off from the canyon stop.
West rim is expensive and commercialized but does have the sky walk. And it can easily be done in one day. You will drop $100 a head on this option. You can do it and the Dam tour in one long day of you want.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Helo is your answer.

https://www.google.com/search?...i7i10i30.6mYvWzyU1u0

When we went , we got there
( just outside the park)
at 9: a.m.

price for the 1/2 hour tour was $150.00 for both of us.
at 1: p.m. the price was $100.00 for both of us.

at 3: p.m. we took a one hour tour with two other people for $80.00 for both of us

woo hoo !

it was awesome, maybe the best $80.00 we spent on holiday

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54668 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions so far thanks all. I wonder what the possibility of snow will be as it will be in the dead of winter so I’m not sure how much snow they get. Is it better to go in spring or summer?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have been to the canyon 3 times while traveling with wife's best friends from Germany.

South rim, hike down the trail and if you are in good shape, all the way down to the river. Long hike, especially in the summer. An all day trip. Take LOTS of water!

I did a 15 day private float trip down through the canyon with a private group. That was a life time experience. I had done some white water stuff before, but NOTHING to compare with that canyon. Especially a place called "Lava Falls"! Never made it to the N. rim so can't say anything about it.

A trip truly worth the time!! Take plenty of film, especially if you walk down to the river. That hike down, and back up, will test you. Remember the elevation! Air thinner!.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We walked the entire South Rim trail. Easy and flat mostly. Starting from the Visitor's center. Went east the first day and west the second day. Totaled 17 miles. There is a shuttle that parallels the route you can jump on if needed.

Not in shape to do the down into the canyon trip and over weight for the donkey ride down.

Trail going in from the South Rim Visitors Center area...
The one we DIDN'T take!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The North Rim is better than the South Rim, and physically cooler due to the elevation, but the North closes before the first snow there. The West is OK, but unless you really like heights and have no desire to hike, not really worth it. Havasupi Falls is worth the hike down to the Colorado River, if you are up for it physically. If you have the time and money, a raft trip through the Grand Canyon on the Colorado River is a once in a Lifetime trip.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
https://www.maverickhelicopter.../mobile/default.aspx

This operation is one of the best for tours.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post