SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are we Alone in the all of Space ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we Alone in the all of Space ? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Considering the size and age of the universe, it is very likely that there is intelligent life out there.

We need to develop viable FTL flight, so we can go either fuck or kill whatever it is.

It is also possible that advanced civilizations either haven't found us, or are ignoring us. If there are advanced spacefaring civilizations, then hopefully they aren't going to just kill us all if we haven't made it off this rock yet.

We do need to find a way off the planet, and other worlds that can support life. It's going to get crowded here, and/or we'll wipe ourselves out one way or another.

Maybe we're the Australia of the universe.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Putting aside attenuation, radio signals would in fact have theoretically travelled 100 light years from earth. If Alpha Centaurans were monitoring our broadcasts, they're getting it on a 4.2 year delay.

But 100 light years is a tiny fraction of the universe. Like almost none of it. And the signals we put out are extremely weak.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We are not alone.

I have my cat. Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A matter of perspective. It's only a long way away when think about it with your very limited human brain. "Distance", how quaint.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The nearest star is 4.2 light years away. We have only had ham radio for little more than 100 years.

Those guys haven't even heard us yet, let alone answered. This assumes they might want to after they hear what we talk about.

Light, and radio waves, travel from earth to Alpha Centauri in 4.37 years.

Like I said,

quote:
The sun's closest stellar neighbors are three stars in the Alpha Centauri system. The two main stars are Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, which form a binary pair. They are an average of 4.3 light-years from Earth. The third star is Proxima Centauri. It is about 4.22 light-years from Earth and is the closest star other than the sun.
Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I think that it’s nearly certain that the first alien intelligence that mankind will encounter is is artificial intelligence – right here on earth. Dr. Stephen Hawking thinks so too, and that it might be very dangerous for mankind.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Putting aside attenuation, radio signals would in fact have theoretically travelled 100 light years from earth. If Alpha Centaurans were monitoring our broadcasts, they're getting it on a 4.2 year delay.

But 100 light years is a tiny fraction of the universe. Like almost none of it. And the signals we put out are extremely weak.

Tiny fraction is an understatement. It would take another 100,000 years for any "signals" to reach outside our own Milky Way, and at that point they would need an additional 2.5 million light years to get to Andromeda, the next nearest galaxy.

Attenuation addresses your second point.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alone in the entirety of space. No.

Alone in this tiny, infinitesimal part betwixt Pluto and the Sun...maybe.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Are we alone ?

Absolutely not.

How many extra terrestrials have you met?

Well, there was that time on Venice Beach, and that time in Vegas, and New Orleans.

I may have met a few dozen already, though it's hard to say for sure.

Regardless, the notion that we're the only intelligent life in the universe seems ridiculous.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You dont need an antenna to talk with God. Just take a knee- space is up to you Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope someone smart has a plan if we do meet aliens. Think of all the diseases that wiped out native people after meeting europeans.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
The nearest star is 4.2 light years away. We have only had ham radio for little more than 100 years.

Those guys haven't even heard us yet, let alone answered. This assumes they might want to after they hear what we talk about.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If earth has sent out ham radio emissions for 100 years, how could they not traverse 4.2 light years? Your second point I understand. Smile

All of this assumes of course that light speed is a constant.

Well, after internalizing those ideas, I've stopped worrying about intergalactic DXers and worry about intelligent life at my house. Frown

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
You dont need an antenna to talk with God. Just take a knee- space is up to you Wink

Smile

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thought about this after following this thread:

"The Invaders, alien beings from a dying planet. Their destination: the Earth. Their purpose: to make it their world. David Vincent has seen them. For him, it began one lost night on a lonely country road, looking for a shortcut that he never found. It began with a closed deserted diner, and a man too long without sleep to continue his journey. It began with the landing of a craft from another galaxy. Now David Vincent knows that the Invaders are here, that they have taken human form. Somehow he must convince a disbelieving world that the nightmare has already begun."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invaders

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
I hope someone smart has a plan if we do meet aliens. Think of all the diseases that wiped out native people after meeting europeans.

Thank God that we have Trump and Mattis instead of HRC and Milk Toast.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Think of all the diseases that wiped out native people after meeting europeans.

Just don't accept any blankets from them.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I'm pretty sure my third grade teacher, Mrs. Edelson, was, like, from Venus or something.

Is this her?

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
A light year is the same as a regular year...

But with 1/3 less calories

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cringe whenever a scientist on some TV show declares life is everywhere. Honest answer is we don't know.

Life may be incredibly rare. So rare that we are it in the Galaxy. According to the life is everywhere proponents life should have existed on Mars since it reportedly once had liquid water. We haven't found it yet. Nor have we been invited to join the United Federation of Planets or have we been conquered by the Romulan or Klingon empires.

With no real evidence I suspect life, any life, is a rarity in the Galaxy and possibly the universe.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do the math. Try to get your mind around those numbers. even though it's impossible with the feeble goo between our ears.

Life elsewhere is an absolute certainty.

Let's see- what makes Earth so fertile for life?

• Proper distance from our sun to allow for liquid water.

• A metallic core, which provides the planet protection from solar radiation, due to the magnetic field the generates.

• Tidal action, created by the gravitational influence of our moon.

• Distinct seasons, which allow for cycles of dormancy and growth, and which are due to the planet's rotational axis being tilted in relation to our sun (probably also courtesy of the moon, long ago)

• A stabilized rotation, also courtesy of the moon, and which, in the case of the Earth, slowed our rotation and gave the planet longer days than it had in its infancy.

The building blocks of life- the amino acids and so forth, have been shown to be abundant in comets and asteroids, so the seeding of a planetary body which has the above combination of factors listed above should be able to produce life.

What's so magical about that? Countless stars and countless planetary bodies orbiting those stars. We're talking about a mathematical certainty.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
  •  
    Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post