SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just got denied by NICS!!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got denied by NICS!!!! Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Well, that sucks then. Yeah, solve that problem with getting your License To Carry. Now, with classroom no longer required for renewal, which is accomplished with a few clicks of the mouse, there are really no excuses not to do it.

I wish, in Florida you get a NICS check every time even with Concealed Permit. This past year has been awful, delays. I used to be in and out in 10 minutes. Now it is a couple of days.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

The last time I needed NICS it took about 2 minutes. My grandson was with me, and bought a pistol at the same time. His NICS check took some 3 hours. But that was before the huge increase in people buying guns. Don't know what the response time might be now.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Plethora of new buyers, lots of similar names, the systems been flooded with new names on the Do Not Approve list, so it's possible that more of this will happen simply because of the massive volume of sales over the past 10 years.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

does you dad have a record?

the Jr Sr thing does not matter

Neither of us have a record. I gave up trying to figure it out long ago, don't have to worry about it anymore.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
However it still pisses me off that I have to submit to an NICS check because our damned state decided to become Pothead Central.

Put the blame where it belongs: On BATFE. Form 4473 contains a question pertaining to the Federally illegal use of marijuana and other such things. BATFE did that just to be assholes. Which is what they do and what they are. It was not necessary and serves no purpose other than to inconvenience buyers.

That's a pretty obtuse interpretation.

Explain how. BATFE used to allow Michigan residents with a Michigan CPL to skip the NICS check because they were satisfied Michigan's CPL process fulfilled the need. Michigan legalized pot. Nothing changed wrt Michigan's CPL process and the buyer is obliged to swear to the fact they're not violating any Federal laws. How is the Federal government's interests not being served?

Or is this just another case of "pot bad?"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
when a State gets exemption, it means that the CCW process is one that the ATF is satisfied with,
as in the ATF believes that the State vets the CCCW holders to a high standard or has processes in place to ensure the CCW's are maintained,

I think it was Alabama that had that exemption removed recently,

one thing to think about , this is coming from a dealer that runs background checks almost every day,

it is based on the following,

First Name
Middle Name (NMN or IO as well)
Last Name
DOB
Sex
Race
Country, State, City of Birth
US Citizen or type of Alien

SSN is optional,
and Height / Weight are additional identifiere used,

there is a place to put in a UPIN or UFIN if you have one,

otherwise, we (Dealers) don't care if you have a badge, LEO, Clearance, or whatever,

the system looks for your name, then uses the other identifiers to make sure it is you, and not the same John or Jane Doe that has a criminal record

they don't care that you may be cop, or have uber clearance thru the See Eye Aye,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I have a common last name, but declined to give my SS#.

I just made a purchase and will find out next week if there was an issue.

Just got back into town. I called the gun shop and was told the approval came through and I can pick it up any time. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Explain how. BATFE used to allow Michigan residents with a Michigan CPL to skip the NICS check because they were satisfied Michigan's CPL process fulfilled the need. Michigan legalized pot. Nothing changed wrt Michigan's CPL process and the buyer is obliged to swear to the fact they're not violating any Federal laws. How is the Federal government's interests not being served?

Or is this just another case of "pot bad?"

If you aren’t being obtuse, it is because MJ is still a “controlled substance” under 18 USC. It has little to do with your assertions about ATF, as they don’t actually pass laws. Just because MSP no longer screens for it, doesn’t mean that it just goes away from the way the question has to be worded to satisfy 18 USC. Until Congress acts to change it, your anger should fall on Michigan for messing up a good thing you had going on.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am mailing my paperwork, and fingerprints off today. I hope this gets resolved quickly, but with the government involved I doubt that it will.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Not every state's permit is honored as a NICS exception, but if it is, it's worth doing.

we still have to do the NICS in Indiana

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wish a C.C. license would do more here in WI. At least we went to more of an ‘instant check’ a number of years ago. There’s no more mandatory 48 hour wait on a handgun. You may clear right away, 4 hours, or a day, at least one has the potential with the instant check.

I’ve bought occasionally while traveling, clearing sooner helps a lot. I bought a long gun in MI a month ago, 45-70 ‘trapdoor’ made in 1892. He said I didn’t need a background for that, but then I added a Swedish Mauser as a package deal, requiring one. It’s a favorite shop in the area, usually clears pretty quick.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post