SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just got denied by NICS!!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got denied by NICS!!!! Login/Join 
posted
So I just went to purchase a gun. I told the guy that I will be delayed, that I always am (I have a very common name). I didn't want to wait around for the delay to come back, so I said that I would just stop in on Monday to pick up the gun.

They just called and said that NICS denied me. I know that it is some SNAFU with the denial, but now I have to go through an appel process.

Has anyone ever had to go through this process? What kind of pain and misery am I looking at? Any idea how long it will take to clear up?

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smithbc,

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I have A Friend that was getting denied all the time.( common name) He applied for the PIN # and he has been Denied since

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Your name wouldn’t happen to be Charles Manson, would it?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Heres a step by step with links to the forms and how to get a UPIN for your 4473

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Great thing in Ohio & should be in all states is that if you have a CHL there is no requirement to call in the purchase. I fill out the 4473, hand them my drivers license & CHL , pay & walk out.

As it should be.
Sadly there are a couple shops that don’t follow this “privilege” we have here.
So I won’t give them my business and I make sure to share that fact all over social media.
2A groups have worked hard to get lawmakers to pass these type of laws as all CHL holders have undergone a background check but it’s not good enough for this shop owner.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To request an appeal packet, you can either print a copy of the appeal brochure and downloadable fingerprint card from the NICS Appeal Website, or if you do not have access to the Internet, you can call the NICS Customer Service at 1-877-FBI-NICS (324-6427).
Could take 2 to 12 months. Its the Government.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Did Agent Gibbs come and tell you personally? Big Grin

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Never denied but I was delayed at almost every point in the past. Reason being, my father is Sr and I’m Jr.

Pissed me off to no end. This would even happen when SSN was added to the form, so it should have been obvious, but they always delayed it anyway. A lot of the times it was for just a few minutes but there were other instances when it was for days.

Got my Texas LTC (CHL back then) and don’t have to deal with it now.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
For folks with common names, would enter your SS# on the 4473 eliminate the chance of being denied? Or at least minimize it? Or, is that something y'all not willing to do?

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For the last few years, I’ve been getting delayed each and every time. Sometimes for up to 2-3 days. As one FFL told me, a LOT of people are buying guns and it not only slows the process down, but is introducing a lot of partial hits for no-gun sale folks with similar information they have to weed out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
For folks with common names, would enter your SS# on the 4473 eliminate the chance of being denied? Or at least minimize it? Or, is that something y'all not willing to do?

I've gotten delays even with SSN's and even had one delay when a customer had a upin. Last I heard was that the appeal process was taking forever and a day if they were even being done at all.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:

Q, my post right above yours bud.

My father and I with literally the same name but different surnames, I live one town west of him.

He had his CHL (now LTC) and I didn’t. I got delayed every single time. Never denied but delayed, and sometime for days. Even when I added my SSN.

Finally got fed up with it so got my concealed license for that reason alone. It’s worth the class time, cost and renewal fee.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Get denied for a NFA item.... no reason just denial... then BAFTE will send it to their 'Judicial appeals dept." at your request... only problem is no one works there... not in the yearly budget.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Well, that sucks then. Yeah, solve that problem with getting your License To Carry. Now, with classroom no longer required for renewal, which is accomplished with a few clicks of the mouse, there are really no excuses not to do it.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not every state's permit is honored as a NICS exception, but if it is, it's worth doing.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, that sucks then. Yeah, solve that problem with getting your License To Carry. Now, with classroom no longer required for renewal, which is accomplished with a few clicks of the mouse, there are really no excuses not to do it.

I wish, in Florida you get a NICS check every time even with Concealed Permit. This past year has been awful, delays. I used to be in and out in 10 minutes. Now it is a couple of days.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Until March 2020 having a Michigan CPL exempted you from a NICS check.

At that time the BATFE sent a letter to all FFL’s rescinding that, citing Michigan’s allowing some persons convicted of Misdemeanor Domestic Violence charges to have a CPL and the fact of our state allowing recreational Marijuana use by the general public which we all know is illegal under Federal law.

Under our current state’s administration we will get no help fighting this from our Governor, Attorney General. I am just thankful that the attempt a few years ago to take CPL’s from county government control and give it to our Secretary of State, same department that handles all matters vehicle related. With the mess that those offices were in before the pandemic and shutdown and today I can assure anybody that CPL issuing and renewals would be in years nesters of weeks. And yes, our Secretary of State was one of the team of the two mentioned earlier.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
quote:

I wish, in Florida you get a NICS check every time even with Concealed Permit. This past year has been awful, delays. I used to be in and out in 10 minutes. Now it is a couple of days.

Good luck in getting this resolved.

Same in Colorado. Concealed handgun permit means nothing at the gun store. Law enforcement ID means nothing. Everyone goes through NICS. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes it takes a day or more.

Delay or denial? No apologies if they are wrong, it is all up to you to jump through all the hoops and correct whatever issue may be involved (and they don't have to tell you why anyway).

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a common last name, but declined to give my SS#.

I just made a purchase and will find out next week if there was an issue.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

I have a common last name, but declined to give my SS#.

I just made a purchase and will find out next week if there was an issue.

I always put SSN down, and I still always get delayed. This is my first time ever getting denied.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post