SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Approaching my 40th B-Day my wife asked me…”what’s your favorite gun of all time?”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Approaching my 40th B-Day my wife asked me…”what’s your favorite gun of all time?” Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hey Otto, Happy Almost 40th Bday!!!

Because you mentioned the BAR, have you seen what Ohio Ordnance has come up with?

A modernized BAR they call the HCAR (Heavy Counter Assault Rifle):

direct video link: www.YouTube.com/watch?v=nqJSWW1x-Uw

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Has the OP returned yet to report that his wife got him a light that fits his favorite gun? LOL.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.shop.jdifirearms.c...E90-BlackSpecial.htm

He has a few Swiss guns for order at the moment.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
One of the things that is not included in the question is her love language. I would not be surprised that she wants to please you, but in a way that also helps her understand you AND to give her silent satisfaction that she acccomplished something meaningful.

To that end, you might say something like:

A favorite gun is hard to name. A S&W Model 29 with a six inch barrel would be a favorite, because it brings to mind a flawed and tragic hero our world needs more and more.

Or,

A favorite gun is a challenge to pick. In our years together, we've faced a number of financial challenges and I've never purchased a H&K Automatic Revolver in 455 Webley, simply because they are so rare and expensive. But, the design features, the fit and finish, and the incredible engineering speak to me. It is one of my favorites.

Sharing about you, while giving the specification of the favorite, will enhance her gift-giving experience in finding and purchasing the weapon.

Don't forget about straw man purchases and that pivotal question on the form, should she purchase it without you. Coaching would be helpful there.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
More fun than a M1A (IMO)

My take on it as well. While it would have made a fine weapon, and I shot it a lot in rifle / multi gun matches (until it got too cost prohibitive), for just shooting enjoyment, I found it rather boring compared to the Garand.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’d get a Yost BHP or a Burton 1911.

That said take the family on a road trip to the cmp in Alabama. It is a state of the art shooting range. It really has to be experienced. Coordinate that with wil a race at the Talladega super speedway if that’s your thing.

https://thecmp.org/ranges/tall...a-marksmanship-park/

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
Manurhin MR73.

I'd like one of these, they aren't "MA approved." Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Good grief Arc!

I am a word smith.

quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
More fun than a M1A (IMO)

My take on it as well. While it would have made a fine weapon, and I shot it a lot in rifle / multi gun matches (until it got too cost prohibitive), for just shooting enjoyment, I found it rather boring compared to the Garand.

I'd take either, and there is a lot to be said for ye olde Loaded model. Unless you know you love M14s, why spend more. The Garand needs more care, for the average person I'd say find a decent one and put an adjustable plug in it, go to town.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'll throw my vote in for a CMP Garand as well. Love mine so much I bought a second...and then one for my son. They're just awesome rifles, and incredibly shootable for what they are. I took it out to 600 yards at my buddy's farm last year, and we were making hits I'd never have imagined possible with iron sights...just dial it in and squeeze. If you don't already have one, now is the time, before they're gone. They're not completely unaffordable, either. The added bonus is that they share ammo with the 1903 and 1917, too, so it's an excuse to pick up examples of those as well!

As to the M1A, we had a couple of M14s through LESO at work, a Winchester and an H&R. Those were also great rifles, especially the H&R. We recently returned them, and that sent me on a bit of a quest to acquire an M1A for my personal collection. I put hands on several of the Springfield M1As (the only option currently out there that's even remotely close to my price range) and was less than impressed...lots of slop in the bolt track, poor wood fitment, just wasn't the same. Some day when I can afford to blow a crazy amount of money I may look at some of the other offerings, but for now I'm going to just enjoy my Garands.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
To Arc's point about M1's being fixer-uppers in regards to the whole caliber discussions, what I suggest is finding any M1 that has a receiver in decent shape. By decent shape, I mean not pitted. Areas to inspect are any place that contacts the wood, like the underside of the receiver and the receiver legs. The barrel almost doesn't matter these days, because on that weapon, that's what wears out. It isn't the bore that goes first, it's the muzzle and the throat, so you'll see ME and TE numbers for muzzle and throat erosion. They make gauges for that, and a CMP rifle will have those numbers on the tag. You can look further into that, that's a rabbit hole I won't go down. My point is to just grab one in .30-06 and realize that a barrel change on that rifle isn't going to ruin the collector value and it's a real simple thing to go from .30-06 to .308. Start with the OG caliber, pop an adjustable gas plug in so you don't bend your op rod, and enjoy. Later on, a new Criterion in .308 will give you more flexibility on what you feed it. From there, you can decide on things like stocks and all that, piecing together a nice matching walnut set vs birch or new repros that have slightly oversize dimensions etc etc.

Shooting High Power matches with an M1 is a hoot, especially against everyone with their tricked-out AR's. The sound of a lone M1 barking on the firing line amidst all those pops is hilarious.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had an idea given the postings about CMP rifles (and receivers). Look for a decent Garand receiver as P220 Smudge suggested, and contact Fulton Armory in Savage, MD about building a refurb/new to me Garand from it
Fulton is a bit steep, and a four-month turnaround but...

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
We might be wandering far afield from the thread but, there are better and cheaper Garand/M14 smiths out there, and people more worthy of your business. Fulton has its place, but support your independent smith.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I wouldn't go to Fulton for a rifle. I'm sure they produce a quality product, but for what they specifically do, there are far more economical ways to get there.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago my friends wife took him into a gun shop for his anniversary. Hanging on the wall was a Garand and a Devine M1A. She told him “Choose”.
He chose the Devine.
Happy birthday, hope you love your gift!

Posts: 950 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post