SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Approaching my 40th B-Day my wife asked me…”what’s your favorite gun of all time?”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Approaching my 40th B-Day my wife asked me…”what’s your favorite gun of all time?” Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I’m assuming for a 40th B-day present and while this could go in any one of the individual firearms sections I’ll shortly show why I think the lounge is the best place for this.

Initial answer spread the gamut, of course excluding the most sincerest answers like a real BAR or Ma Duece, because at the end of the day her money is our money and we trying to retire in a decade lol.

So I answered…

Yost BHP
Heirloom 1911 Commander
Really nice M1A
CZ or DW side by side

Honestly the BHP is probably 80% of my desire with the others being guns I’ve wanted here and there recently.

Am I missing anything before I commit to one or the other? Give me some ideas, far as I know I only turn 40 once!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got an Heirloom Precision BHP built by Ted Yost when he was still there. It's awesome. I don't shoot it very often but it was worth every penny.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I've asked my husband similar questions about guns and watches. My advice isn't on which gun to name, but to suggest that you give her as much detail as possible once you decide on one.

I'm not familiar with the gun you're leaning towards, but if it comes with different options, let her know what your preference is. The more information you give, the better the outcome should be! Sometime my husband can be annoyingly vague.

Happy early Birthday. Smile

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
No Sigs on your list! Would a classic P210 be a suitable addition?

Posts: 6443 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Do you have a M1 Garand? More fun than a M1A (IMO), and a bit cheaper too (from the CMP). Plus the actual historical connection versus the reproduction/commercial M1A.

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I agree with the M1 Garand suggestion.
I had one built by The Garand Guy about 20years ago, looks and shoots like a new rifle.
I get a special smile on my face when I reach into the gun safe and grab that Garand.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s a bit pricy but one day I would love to own one of these.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...black-46-100171.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
No Sigs on your list! Would a classic P210 be a suitable addition?

I already own mostly Sig handguns, couple dozen, many of the “antique” variety so that doesn’t really tickle my fancy any more than my current collection, I don’t have a “grail” Sig I guess.

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How about a nice, high end over and under? I want one in 20. Perazzi would be great, but even a nice Beretta.

Happy 40th.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Do you have a M1 Garand? More fun than a M1A (IMO), and a bit cheaper too (from the CMP). Plus the actual historical connection versus the reproduction/commercial M1A.

Rogue, which caliber is more “original” if that’s the right word?

30-06 or .308? I’m thinking I’d rather have the 30-06 but I don’t know why.

Guess I should started by saying I love this recommendation! I haven’t looked at CMP since before I joined the Navy, they still offering collectors grade stuff or is it bottom of the barrel at this point?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
.30-06 is the original caliber, but if you were Navy, a .308 wouldn't be inappropriate.

https://www.forgottenweapons.c...8-garand-conversion/

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
.30-06 is the original caliber, but if you were Navy, a .308 wouldn't be inappropriate.

I AM Navy Smile that’s tough…I guess either would work…

That’s a GD good suggestions and one that I could get sent to Maryland without a bunch of hoopla.

Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
take her to Barrett?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this right here...

Volkmann Precision

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2nd the Garand in either 30-06 or 308, your choice.

My two additions would be either a M-1 carbine or (if you like 22 handguns) a S&W model 41.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Both of you ^, who I really respect sound a lot like my wife when I ask where she wants to eat.

“Whatever you want” Razz

.308 it is, for the half-assed association and the fact that I have a lot of it…I can add a 30-06 at a later date.

posted Hide Post
Otto

It doesn't look like the CMP is offering any Garands in 308 at this time. I do see some in 30-06 offered in rack grade or expert grade ranging in price from $700-1450. I suspect you can find a 308 Garand from one of the commercial guys like Fulton Armory or buy a 30-06 one and have it converted. YMMV. Have fun and happy (future) birthday!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Shoot me an email when you get your Garand. I'll mail you a box of enbloc clips.

quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
It doesn't look like the CMP is offering any Garands in 308 at this time.

Boo.

Maryland isn't that far from Ohio. Might be worth a phone call and then a trip to the CMP North Store at Camp Perry, if they have them there. The CMP oftentimes has stuff in person at the North and South Stores that they don't have enough quantity left to justify opening up for mail orders.

(Could be worth a trip even if they don't have .308s, as that would still let you hand pick your .30-06 Garand, rather than just getting luck-of-the-draw with a mail order.)

posted Hide Post
If you wind up with a Garand in 30-06 shoot me an email and I will throw in some of the Greek surplus M-2 ball to load in those clips Rogue offered.