SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Approaching my 40th B-Day my wife asked me…”what’s your favorite gun of all time?”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Approaching my 40th B-Day my wife asked me…”what’s your favorite gun of all time?” Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Shoot me an email when you get your Garand. I'll mail you a box of enbloc clips.

quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
It doesn't look like the CMP is offering any Garands in 308 at this time.

Boo.

Maryland isn't that far from Ohio. Might be worth a phone call and then a trip to the CMP North Store at Camp Perry, if they have them there. The CMP oftentimes has stuff in person at the North and South Stores that they don't have enough quantity left to justify opening up for mail orders.

(Could be worth a trip even if they don't have .308s, as that would still let you hand pick your .30-06 Garand, rather than just getting luck-of-the-draw with a mail order.)

After 6 years OCONUS I love me a road trip, maybe I take my oldest and the camper and swing down to Norrh Arkansas along the way Smile.

Thank you for the insight, I’ll call em and ask. I pick up my son and daughter on the 15th so I’ll schedule around that for a road trip.

That’s maybe even more exciting than ordering online.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Repeat after me: Korth.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Repeat after me: Korth.

Never understood the appeal.
Call me crazy or a redneck but if a Ruger GP100 can’t do what I need, I don’t need a machine with tighter tolerances.

Some people like fine art, I call it a waste of money. I respect it, the craftsmanship for sure, but a waste of money none the less.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat 1911
HK P7M8
Winchester Model 94

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... I would opt for a Custer Colt SAA. History and a good investment!
You are only 40 once.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
James,

Didn't realize you were such a youngin'! Big Grin

I had wanted a top drawer custom BHP back in the day but it was outside my budget so I did a DIY job. I've posted about it before which showcased the hand stippling I did. It along with an Argentine "chopped" Hi-Power (FM Detective) I also customized remain treasured handguns here.

Good photos are in this 2020 thread:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5560037964/p/1

So my vote is go for that Custom BHP!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you have never shouldered and fired a M1 Otto, you are in for a surprise. One addictive battle rifle. You would truely enjoy the Garand.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have thought about this more, and my actual favorite gun is a minigun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
My answer to "what's your favorite gun of all time" is WAY different than the question which I think you are posing which to rephrase is "honey, I want to get you a special gun for your 40th birthday that you wouldn't just buy for yourself".

The M1 Garand answer is great. I'm super happy that I did it when I did. You probably would be too. But it is something that you can always get later.

Give it some thought. You're turning 40 once. What have you been longing for but just said "nah, can't justify it"?

My answer to the rephrased question would be a tricked out 10/22. Can't justify getting one but I think having one would be a hoot and a half.

My answer to the ACTUAL question is an H&K MP5 SD or H&K MP5 K. Id have to do a day of fasting and naked meditation in a sauna while alternating cold plunges to come up with the actual decision between the two.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1955 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have thought about this more, and my actual favorite gun is a minigun.

But this would be super cool too (and a no brainer), BUT I'd have to pay for the ammo which would make this purchase a no go without a simultaneous lottery win.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1955 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
My answer to "what's your favorite gun of all time" is WAY different than the question which I think you are posing which to rephrase is "honey, I want to get you a special gun for your 40th birthday that you wouldn't just buy for yourself".

The M1 Garand answer is great. I'm super happy that I did it when I did. You probably would be too. But it is something that you can always get later.

Give it some thought. You're turning 40 once. What have you been longing for but just said "nah, can't justify it"?

My answer to the rephrased question would be a tricked out 10/22. Can't justify getting one but I think having one would be a hoot and a half.

My answer to the ACTUAL question is an H&K MP5 SD or H&K MP5 K. Id have to do a day of fasting and naked meditation in a sauna while alternating cold plunges to come up with the actual decision between the two.

Me and my cousin talked about this, 2K$ Kidd or similar built rifles. But at the end of the day I’m gonna be shooting Thunderbolt through it lol. So I just stick to my factory Ruger lol. I do want one though.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
My answer to "what's your favorite gun of all time" an H&K MP5 SD or H&K MP5 K. Id have to do a day of fasting and naked meditation in a sauna while alternating cold plunges to come up with the actual decision between the two.

Me and my cousin talked about this, 2K$ Kidd or similar built rifles. But at the end of the day I’m gonna be shooting Thunderbolt through it lol. So I just stick to my factory Ruger lol. I do want one though.

MP Fiivvveee. Still an option, you didn't say no . . .

posted Hide Post
Older Blued Python or Model 27, but favorite of all time is a Marlin lever action 22 I've had for 50 yrs. Is there a gun you had when you were growing up that you no longer possess?

Posts: 112 | Location: Deep south | Registered: August 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjcj:
Older Blued Python or Model 27, but favorite of all time is a Marlin lever action 22 I've had for 50 yrs. Is there a gun you had when you were growing up that you no longer possess?

None when I was younger that I’d ever want to spend money on again. Little cheap things was all I had, no real sentimental value.

My dad, for a big a POS as he was got me into guns at a young age. He always had a SPAS-12 that I used to think was so damn cool. I have it a little thought but the quality has to be there too and they are typically junk.

Grandfather had an old side by side .410 that I’d love to have but I think my uncle owns that one now and is not likely to part with it.

I’m gonna investigate the .308 Garand for the time being and keep my options open.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If I go by quantity, it would have to be a Sig P220 in 7.65mm.

They are fun to shoot, but then again, I can only afford one 2011 in 10mm. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
OK so you're 40. You must know what you really like and really want in terms of one gun. Do you need it right now? Can she help you buy parts or otherwise plan for a sweet build? Is it really a "favorite gun of all time" if you haven't owned one yet?
If that Yost BHP is 80%, why are you doubting yourself?
An Mp5 (or clone) is a great suggestion, if that interests you. You can chip away at it. There is the Sp5, or the route I took.... So satisfying.
A "really nice M1A" could be several different rifles, depending on what you like to shoot and your budget.
If you don't own a Garand, just get a Garand, they are "fixer uppers," if they ain't fancy.
Why does it need to be a "classic" P210? The new ones seem decent, I finger fucked one.
Only buy a SPAS-12 if you can actually have it in hand and aren't immediately overcome with the word "turd."
A Python? Perhaps, they are wonderful, can't speak for the new ones.
You're in MD, can you do suppressors? How about a pistol or integrated 10/22?
How about a DSA FAL and a blowjob? I mean from your wife, unless you want to pay for airfare. MD is a bus trip from here but I'm not a cheap date.

You do you man. What makes your dick twitch?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
Manurhin MR73.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8797 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Am I missing anything before I commit to one or the other? Give me some ideas, far as I know I only turn 40 once!

Regardless of the gun thing which I'm sure you can sort out, you obviously have a wonderful wife. Congrats!

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Good grief Arc!

You are INDEED BACK! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post