SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum Chefs, please share with me your recipes, tips, and tricks for prime rib.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum Chefs, please share with me your recipes, tips, and tricks for prime rib. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Deep fry it! Eek

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-vzujptGvMo

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting to share!!!

I get my primerib on sale, it's normally $6-8/lb. Put it in a paper lined tray, and cover with paper towel. Change the lining once a day. I normally leave it out to dry for 7-10 days.

The day the rib goes into the oven, I leave it overnight till room temperature. I first rub with a 50-50 worstsheshire/light soy sauce mix. After that drys I rub with room temp butter, then pat on a dry mix of choice. This is what I've used with slight modification each time:

1/4 cup black pepper and 1/4 cup kosher salt (Grab a canister of Morton's or Diamond kosher salt; the larger salt crystal size will make for a better crust on the meat than you'd get from regular table salt.)
2 tablespoons black pepper, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon dried oregano and 1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
2 tablespoons black pepper, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence and 2 large minced garlic cloves
2 tablespoons black pepper, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 1 tablespoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, 1 tablespoon dry mustard and the zest of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons black pepper, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary and 2 large minced garlic cloves (copied)

I line the tray with a pack of bacon!!!! Onion, carrots, celery, an apple, rosemary, thyme.

Preheat 450, 15 minutes to sear, 275 till internal temp is 120. Remove, and tent carve when internal temp is 130.

I remove the ribs, cut them and put into the tray when internal temp of roast is 90.

I drain the tray to make a jous...

super easy and always perfect. email me directly if you have questions: david@mimisjewelryinc.com

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Post some pics if you got any Dave. Sounds like it would be great and the au jus or gravy super yummy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Anyone else getting a rib roast this weekend because of this thread? Big Grin

Yup. A 5.7 lb bone in, loosened and tied roast, that was on sale at the base commissary. Like David Truong we like them on sale! Big Grin

As posted we prefer the Pioneer Woman's approach.
https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/prime-rib/
Pictured here is the roast coming to room temp before rubbing with EVOO and the seasoning rub mix (crushed black peppercorns, rosemary, thyme, garlic, sea salt). I skip the sides as it always seems to fall off no matter how much EVOO or pressing of the mix. No biggie as it still tastes GREAT! Big Grin

In the bags are potatoes, onions, and carrots in EVOO and seasoning getting nicely coated ready to roast with the smaller one on top of it containing the roast rub mix. Smile

Ready for browning before roasting. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16515 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take A LOT of fresh garlic, rosemary and thyme and pulverize it in olive oil...…….to make a very wet paste.....I coat the entire outside with a nice crust of this and then put a good amount of sea salt on it...….put it in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Then put it in the oven at 500F and immediately turn the oven down to the lowest setting (around 200F), then cook it until it reaches iternal temperature of 125F (for larger ones) and pull it out and let it rest.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apphunter, I have one question for you, figuring out timing for a big rib. Looking at a 19.5# for our big group and I have no idea how long it will take with this method.

For the last 20 years I have always seared first, then reduced to 350 and cooked for 13-15 minutes per pound, always going by the thermometer. Does reverse sear come with any recommendation as to how long per pound I should consider?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Apphunter, I have one question for you, figuring out timing for a big rib. Looking at a 19.5# for our big group and I have no idea how long it will take with this method.

For the last 20 years I have always seared first, then reduced to 350 and cooked for 13-15 minutes per pound, always going by the thermometer. Does reverse sear come with any recommendation as to how long per pound I should consider?

I would ballpark a guess of about 25-30 minutes per pound. But There is a lot of variables and when you pull it should be determined by the internal temperature of the meat and the desired final temperature. Plan starting early and allow yourself plenty of time to cook. You absolutely need a meat thermometer you can leave in the roast while cooking preferably a digital one with an alarm. It would be best if it had an app that will notify your phone so you don't have to sit on the roast waiting for it to finish.

If the roast finishes early it isn't that big of deal. A roast that large needs plenty of time to rest it could probably rest for an hour and be ok. To rest a roast that large and to keep it warm for serving I would grab your beer cooler and fill it up with hot water from the tap as hot as it will go and let that sit for 30 min. Drain and refill with hot water again and leave the hot water in the cooler until the roast is ready to go in. While the cooler is warming up throw some old grungy towels in the drier to get them nice and warm too. Wrap the roast in a double layer of foil, drain the cooler, wrap roast in warm towels and shut the cooler lid. The less empty space in the cooler the better. That roast will probably be hot enough for service for close to 2 hours in the cooler and the juices will have plenty of time to be reabsorbed by the meat.

One final tip is food is usually best served on warm plates so put a stack of dishes in the oven on the lowest setting if the oven space is available.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Tonight was prime rib night! Got a 6.5lb prime grade roast (from Costco!), gave it a few days in the fridge, all rubbed up with seasoning, and then roasted it today. I did the reverse sear. I roasted it at 250 until my thermometer said 115°, then rested it under tented foil for 1/2 hour while I cranked the oven to 550, made some horseradish sauce and au juice, and roasted some veggies. Then, the uncovered roast went back into the hotter than blazes oven for 8 more minutes to brown up wonderfully.

My center cuts were medium rare to rare, and the ends were approaching medium. The crust was beautiful. I'd absolutely caked the outside in crushed garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and a hearty rubbing of my favorite steak seasoning.

I'd done the roast in an enameled cast iron baker, so it went straight into the stovetop with all the drippings. I deglazed it with beef broth, added some big bunches of rosemary and thyme, and some more salt and pepper, and let it bubble over medium high heat before backing down to a simmer. Then I strained it and used a fat separator to remove the grease. That made some nice au juice!

I think it was a smashing success! I've got just enough left for a couple sandwiches. Seemed everyone left with a full belly!

Thanks again to everyone who shared their culinary wisdom! Another SigForum success in the kitchen!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing ventured, nothing gained
posted Hide Post
Sounds delicious! Next time, try roasting it at 200 instead of 250. It brings the temp up slower, and tends to keep the ends closer to medium rare vs medium, so it's a nice pink all the way up to the edges. Also, if you use a rack instead of resting it right on the cast iron, the bottom edges will come out better, as it's not roasting in its own juices.

Posts: 84 | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
As it happened, I had some guests who wanted a cut that was further cooked, so having some medium-ish cuts was a plus. It seemed like everyone around the table was happy.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you share any photos of your wonderful prime-rib roast? Folks like me can at least taste, or imagine how good your roast turned out!!!!! SmileSmileSmile
-Sid

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here are some prime rib pics from last year.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis