SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum Chefs, please share with me your recipes, tips, and tricks for prime rib.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum Chefs, please share with me your recipes, tips, and tricks for prime rib. Login/Join 
Nothing ventured, nothing gained
posted Hide Post
Agreed on the reverse sear, except I do mine at 200 degrees. Having an instant read thermometer is key. About half an hour per lb. Perfect every time.

Posts: 84 | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to contribute to this thread! I appreciate each and every one of you!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElusivePeon:
Agreed on the reverse sear, except I do mine at 200 degrees. Having an instant read thermometer is key. About half an hour per lb. Perfect every time.

Hopefully, you're referring to the oven at 200F and not the internal temperature Eek

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions here. Let me add

Cook it rare. For those that don't care for it that way, a minute in the oven fixes that.

Also, let it rest at least 30 minutes. The internal temp will rise but the juices will stabilize and not run away on you.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'm doing one for Hannukah on my rotisserie. Never done it before, but will simply season and let it turn. Maybe make a gravy from the drippings.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
So I don't have a sous vide machine, and I'd rather not have to go buy one because I'll probably only use it this one time a year.

I have a nice oven, a stove, and I have a gas grill.

So, I think oven roasting and a reverse-sear is going to be the way to go.

If I remember correctly, you are in the St Louis area. If you do decide to go with sous vide, you can borrow my set up. While I’ve not done a rib roast with it, I have no doubt it would be easier than a stove (which I have done... it can be stressful if you’re not watching the temp of the meat).

Posts: 2169 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
I'm doing one for Hannukah on my rotisserie. Never done it before, but will simply season and let it turn. Maybe make a gravy from the drippings.

Broiler or Grill? I love a rib roast on my grill rotisserie.

First time meeting my in-laws, they handed me a $130 prime roast and said you're making Christmas dinner. Man was I nervous. Luckily they had a very nice grill with a good burner lay out for the spit. Perfect med-rare, was so nervous slicing it, what a relief when I saw the gorgeous, glorious perfect reddish pink slabs falling to the cutting board. I gave myself a mental high five.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I like reverse sear. I’ve done them in my smoker at 225 and didn’t even need a sear. Still medium rare throughout. I haven’t been super happy with souse vide. Even when cooked to 130 I get a gray color that just isn’t right.

Also please don’t leave beer out overnight. Not safe and does nothing to help cook. I realize the “shut the oven off” method won’t work if it’s ice cold. But shutting oven off is also not safe. There is no reason to risk safety when reverse sear works fine.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even when cooked to 130 I get a gray color that just isn’t right.

I'm assuming you're talking about the outside? If so, you're still supposed to sear it using your choice of methods. If you're getting gray inside, something else is wrong.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
.... I haven’t been super happy with souse vide. Even when cooked to 130 I get a gray color that just isn’t right.

You did something wrong or had something wrong with the meat. I've never had that problem. I've done the sear on a gas and charcoal grill, often combined with painting with blow torch for recesses areas with great success. Gray area is 1/8"-1/4" from outside, inside all even in color.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Dammit, I’m hungry now....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
So I don't have a sous vide machine, and I'd rather not have to go buy one because I'll probably only use it this one time a year.

I have a nice oven, a stove, and I have a gas grill.

So, I think oven roasting and a reverse-sear is going to be the way to go.

If I remember correctly, you are in the St Louis area. If you do decide to go with sous vide, you can borrow my set up. While I’ve not done a rib roast with it, I have no doubt it would be easier than a stove (which I have done... it can be stressful if you’re not watching the temp of the meat).

That is a very kind offer, Erik. Thank you - I'm leaning towards roasting, still, but I will let you know should I change my mind.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Does your oven/range have a probe thermometer?
I did a big rib roast a few years ago for NYE, it was excellent. Buttered the entire outside, seasoned the shit out of it, blasted on high heat in the oven for about an hour, then dropped it down to a lower heat (i'll have to see if I still have the exacts on temp) but I had my probe thermometer set up so as soon as my internal temp hit the mark, my oven shut off. Awesome crust, rare/midrare internal temp, it was a huge hit.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do one every New Years Day on the grill for my family.
I go about 250° for as long as it takes. It's usually a bigger cut so I have to start it in the morning.
I have the smoker now and I'm trying to gauge interest from my family to see if they want it smoked this year. I'm also leaning on trying it myself before 2020 to see how it turns out. I'd hate to ruin it and have to grill burgers on New Years Day.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Even when cooked to 130 I get a gray color that just isn’t right.

I'm assuming you're talking about the outside? If so, you're still supposed to sear it using your choice of methods. If you're getting gray inside, something else is wrong.

Not the outside. I’m not a complete idiot (just a partial idiot). More of an issue with thinner steaks. But I’ve seen it on a roast penetrating an inch plus. Same texture as medium rare but not nice and red. I’ve had better luck low and slow in oven or smoker. Maybe I’ve just done roast too long in the bag. I don’t recall as it’s been a while.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Anyone else getting a rib roast this weekend because of this thread? Big Grin

Right? I was happy with the short ribs in the instapot I had last night. Was.

Posts: 11608 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've made it this way a few times and it's always amazing.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

Broiler or Grill? I love a rib roast on my grill rotisserie.

First time meeting my in-laws, they handed me a $130 prime roast and said you're making Christmas dinner. Man was I nervous. Luckily they had a very nice grill with a good burner lay out for the spit. Perfect med-rare, was so nervous slicing it, what a relief when I saw the gorgeous, glorious perfect reddish pink slabs falling to the cutting board. I gave myself a mental high five.

Reminds me of one of the first times I ever went to my now in laws for dinner and I was tasked with cooking steaks on a gas grill. The supporting post on the grill had rusted and when I flipped the lid open the entire grill steaks and all rolled down the hill. The steaks were covered in an inch of rust and other residue. My wifes' family hated me already because she was dating out of her culture. Mom blamed me for breaking the grill.

Posts: 7631 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I do one every year. I use a wood fired smoker so this may not apply. Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper is all I use for seasoning. I smoke at 225 or less for as long as it takes to get to about 10 degrees from my preferred temp which is about 128 no more than 130.

Just as it's approaching this temp I open the top of the fire box and throw in some oak splits and get some nice leaping flames. I put a grill over the top of flames, remove the rib roast from the smoke chamber and reverse sear it on the open flames. Let rest 20 to 30 minutes and serve.

Damn I can't wait!!

this,

I pull a bit cooler, 118/120 ish,

we like it rare,

temp probe in the center, charcoal smoker,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10571 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I use an Adam Perry Lang recipe except I use Chupacabra rub, it has great flavor and makes a nice crust. It is an annual thing for us for big family gatherings and for Mrs Greener's birthday dinner. We have the butcher cut the bone away from the meat and then tie it back on with butcher's twine. It gets the flavor of the bone and when done we cut the twine and remove the bones. I cook in the Big Green Egg smoker at 275 degrees about 3 hours, until internal temp reaches 115 degrees. We take it off the smoker to apply a beef paste glaze then back to the smoker until it reaches 125 degrees internal temp for medium rare. You really have to watch the internal temp for the last phase because it is going to hit the mark very quickly. Let it rest on the cutting board for 20 minutes before carving.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post