SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum Chefs, please share with me your recipes, tips, and tricks for prime rib.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum Chefs, please share with me your recipes, tips, and tricks for prime rib. Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
For this year's Christmas dinner, I'm hoping to do a prime rib roast for everyone. The problem is that I've never done one before. Sure, I can google about and find some recipes, but I wanted to check with the culinary experts here, first, for what you guys know works, and what doesn't. So, please, educate me!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the reverse sear method personally.

Season the exterior as you deem appropriate. I usually use Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, minced garlic, and what ever herbs you like i.e. thyme, rosemary, and sage. Let it sit in the fridge uncovered for a day or two to dry out the exterior for a better browning.

Place in a 250 degree oven until it is about 10 degrees short of your desired doness which should be no higher than 135 degrees. I use my big green egg for this as basically an oven that smokes but I tend to go light on the smoke with something like pecan or alder. If I use a wood with stronger smoke like hickory I just use less wood.

I let it rest for at a bit and the time depends on the size of the roast. The bigger the roast the longer it rests.

Following the rest I will pat all the sides to ensure they are dry and sear in a hot vessel of some sort. If it is small roast I will use a small stainless steel pan. If it is a whole 7 bone roast I will usually use a disposable aluminum roasting pan. Let the roast rest again while you are making he au jois dipping sauce.

After searing the roast drain any contents of the pan into a vessel and allow it to cool so that the fat and liquid separate. Skim the fat off and use that liquid and beef stock to deglaze the pan to make au jois dipping sauce. Hopefully I have made the beef stock ahead of time. If I haven't low sodium store bought stock will work in a pinch and allow you to season as you deem fit but please don't use a dissolved bullion cube.

Slice to desired thickness and serve with your desired sides.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have done this method for Chrismas Dinner numerous times and never had a complaint. I am considering doing one via sous vide this year for simplicity thought.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
My mother's recipe for Roast Beef.

Foolproof Rare Roast Beef

To cook a standing rib roast, follow these 4 rules:
1. Roast must be at room temperature. Leave out of the refrigerator 1 hour for each pound or overnight.
2. Season roast and place rib side down in a shallow pan. Put it uncovered in a pre-heated 425 degree oven.
3. Cook according to chart below.
4. At the end of the cooking time, turn off the oven and do not open the door for at least 3 hours. Meat continues to cook on retained heat. RESIST THE URGE TO PEEK! The roast will have finished cooking but will still be warm after 4-5 hours depending on the size.

5# - 35 minutes
6# - 40 minutes
7# - 45 minutes
8# - 50 minutes
9# - 55 minutes
10# - 1 hour

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reverse Sear method is the best way to get a juicy and tasty hunk of meat.

Read the below so you understand the methodology, watch the video. Read the comments as there's some updates and user feedback.
The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib

Step-by-Step: How to Roast a Perfect Prime Rib Using the Reverse Sear Method

If you want to get backyard creative, my friend tried this method last holiday season and said it turned out great.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bone-in, season with kosher salt and course-ground pepper, let stand at room temp a few hours at least. I cook bone in prime rib in my BGE on a roast rack at 250 deg until the internal temp reaches 115 degrees, remove and let rest while increasing BGE temp to at least 500 deg. Place back on rack in BGE until temp reaches your desired level of doneness. I never cook past 130 deg in the center.

The ends will be more done for those that want it that way and the center more rare.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Sous Vide.
I did two earlier this year in my water cooker then finished them off over charcoal. Perfection!

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Which ever way you cook it knowing the internal temp at all times is a must.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7651 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which is why:

quote:
Sous Vide

Perfect for first timers because it's impossible to over or under cook it this way.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Sous vide, reverse sear, or normal roasting, all work. Season with salt, pepper, chopped garlic, worchestershire sauce, and then dust with flour before cooking.

Posts: 7631 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Which is why:

quote:
Sous Vide

Perfect for first timers because it's impossible to over or under cook it this way.

That's why I love this method. It's just about impossible to not cook it to a perfect temp every single time. I prefer to cook most meats this way when we have a lot of guests. Takes a lot of stress off of it.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
So I don't have a sous vide machine, and I'd rather not have to go buy one because I'll probably only use it this one time a year.

I have a nice oven, a stove, and I have a gas grill.

So, I think oven roasting and a reverse-sear is going to be the way to go.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I do one every year. I use a wood fired smoker so this may not apply. Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper is all I use for seasoning. I smoke at 225 or less for as long as it takes to get to about 10 degrees from my preferred temp which is about 128 no more than 130.

Just as it's approaching this temp I open the top of the fire box and throw in some oak splits and get some nice leaping flames. I put a grill over the top of flames, remove the rib roast from the smoke chamber and reverse sear it on the open flames. Let rest 20 to 30 minutes and serve.

Damn I can't wait!!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8616 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's what is on our menu for Christmas.
Can't wait to get it on the Big Green Egg. Cool

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I do sous vide or rotisserie on grill. My methods would not apply. So only tip I got for you is buy a high quality instant read thermometer (I use thermapen MK4). Other tip, you don't need to season with anything but S&P and garlic powder, personally I do more, but it will be good with just those three spices Lastly pull from fridge a couple hours early to bring up temperature and Pat dry with paper towels before cooking.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
So I don't have a sous vide machine, and I'd rather not have to go buy one because I'll probably only use it this one time a year.

I don't mean to drift your thread so forgive me.
If you like to cook steak, chicken breasts, and the like then you may have a lot more use for one than you think. Watch a couple youtube videos about them and see the results before you do yourself the disservice of writing them off. Smile

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This has proved to be the best for us:
https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/prime-rib/

We're at 4,000' and pull it when the thermometer hits 113℉ and let it rest. Comes out beautifully rare-medium rare with a great crust.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16515 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Start with Prime-grade beef if you can get it.
Yeah, it's pricey but worth it for an occasional treat.

Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Place bone-side down on baking pan.

Insert meat thermometer in the roast and place in pre-heated 325 degree oven.

After roast starts browning (60-90 minutes), cover with foil and continue cooking until done to your taste. If you don't cover the roast it will over-brown and dry out too much, so don't forget that part.

Simple and really good.

Posts: 1794 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Apphunter:
I'm a big fan of the reverse sear method personally.

Season the exterior as you deem appropriate. I usually use Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, minced garlic, and what ever herbs you like i.e. thyme, rosemary, and sage. Let it sit in the fridge uncovered for a day or two to dry out the exterior for a better browning.

Place in a 250 degree oven until it is about 10 degrees short of your desired doness which should be no higher than 135 degrees. I use my big green egg for this as basically an oven that smokes but I tend to go light on the smoke with something like pecan or alder. If I use a wood with stronger smoke like hickory I just use less wood.

I let it rest for at a bit and the time depends on the size of the roast. The bigger the roast the longer it rests.

Following the rest I will pat all the sides to ensure they are dry and sear in a hot vessel of some sort. If it is small roast I will use a small stainless steel pan. If it is a whole 7 bone roast I will usually use a disposable aluminum roasting pan. Let the roast rest again while you are making he au jois dipping sauce.

After searing the roast drain any contents of the pan into a vessel and allow it to cool so that the fat and liquid separate. Skim the fat off and use that liquid and beef stock to deglaze the pan to make au jois dipping sauce. Hopefully I have made the beef stock ahead of time. If I haven't low sodium store bought stock will work in a pinch and allow you to season as you deem fit but please don't use a dissolved bullion cube.

Slice to desired thickness and serve with your desired sides.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have done this method for Chrismas Dinner numerous times and never had a complaint. I am considering doing one via sous vide this year for simplicity thought.

Winner winner right in the first reply. This is exactly how I've done prime rib and it always comes out fantastic.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Anyone else getting a rib roast this weekend because of this thread? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
@Apphunter for the win!

Posts: 40 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post