SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you have a valid passport?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a valid passport? Login/Join 
posted
A friend's daughter and her family will be moving overseas in the near future (her husband is military).

My buddy, thinking he may want to go see them, got his passport out to see when it needed renewing. To his surprise, it had already expired. What's more, it expired over five years ago, so he now has to do the in person application all over again.

Myself, when it's time to renew my passport, I think I will also request the passport card to use for domestic flights when REAL ID is implemented. I hate the bureaucracy in Frankfort and really don't want to go thru the BS to get a REAL ID license.

What about it Sigforum, how many keep an up to date passport?

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope. I like it here just fine.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Yes, I just renewed mine. It’s a lot easier to mess around with that then going through all the BS to get a real ID.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Yup have mine on me now from seat 7L on United flight above the Pacific Ocean in route to Tokyo.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Even domestically I use my passport as my ID at the airport.

Actually much easier to renew than trying to get a real id here in Illinois. I can just renew my license online.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We updated ours last year and got one for the kid thinking we would go to Aruba during the summer….that didn’t work. We applied in March. Got them in sept or oct….

I’ve had a blue one since 1997 and was issued a red one in 98 for govt use, but I never used it and burned it when I left active duty.

My kid's only lasts five years and our (adult ones) are good for ten years.

We made him use it when we flew to fla and NC over the summer as an ID. He really got a kick out of being fancy enough to have his own Passport. (He’s 12).

Our TX DL are both Real ID already, and We don’t fly enough to have to deal with a passport card on top of everything else when the Real ID covers it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I don't have one. I have no intention of flying or floating in anything to anywhere, especially while disarmed. I guess I don't see the point of having one.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nope...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8864 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes, I keep mine current. It's required for my work for one, but I also use it typically multiple times a year traveling internationally on my personal time as well. I also have the passport card which I use as a personal ID and flying domestically. I liked V-Tail's suggestion about using it since it doesn't have my home address on it, so I adopted that practice.

My daughters' passports are also kept current. My oldest is 5 and has already renewed it once. She got her first passport before she was 6 months old. My youngest daughter as well. Hey, it's the only way to see their grandparents.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30400 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t renewed mine since the last one expired in the late 90’s when I changed jobs and overseas travel wasn’t as big a possibility. My wife’s passport is current, since she’s has traveled overseas with our older son to visit the younger son when he lived in Spain. Now that I’ve retired, foreign travel may be in myfuture, budget and or pandemic restrictions allowing. So I’ll apply for another passport sometime going forward.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have one. Renewed it some years back, I should check it.

I got it in 2005 when I went on a long trip and flew to Alaska, and flew while in AK several times.

I really didn't need it, but it is a good ID.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
No. Thanks for asking.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yes, in fact I’m going to renew mine this week.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope. If I'm going to be going overseas, I'll know in plenty of time to apply for a new one.

No sense in paying over a hundred dollars just for it to sit around and expire.

(And if I were to need one ASAP for some unexpected reason, there's a passport center a couple hours away in Hot Springs that does in-person appointments where you get it same day, but only if you're traveling out of the country within the next 72 hours.)

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
No passport at all. I anticipate no foreign travel in the near future.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've never had a passport. Never had any desire to travel overseas (other than to Hawaii for my sister's wedding about 26 years ago, but I don't think that counts). I took a month long driving vacation through Canada to Alaska back in 2000, before a passport was required to enter Canada. I'd like to do that again after I retire so I guess I'll have to get one then. I'm in no hurry at the moment though.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, good till 2028.

I renewed mine in 2018 when the whole Real ID thing started, even though I eventually got a real Real ID anyway. It really wasn't all that bad.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16307 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Real ID for drivers license wasn’t much of an issue. Especially with a valid passport, passport card, global entry card, drivers license and CWP in South Carolina.

I have no intentions of traveling abroad since I retired in March. Did enough of that shit when I was working.

When my passport expires in 5 years I have no intention to renew it.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Went to the Bahamas in 2019 so renewed right before that. Heading to Mexico next summer. If it expires that's fine, but I do plan to travel internationally every few years.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had them 20 years ago to go to Mexico, never renewed them. Traveled to Alaska and had no need. Had to get vaccinated to go to Alaska, but we were never asked for proof throughout the trip. Sad thing is, since the vaccinations my wife is having heart troubles. Heart rate dropping to 35 BPM at times

F'ed up system in my opinion!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post