SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glock Mag Floorates
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Mag Floorates Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, the floorplate retainer is intended to be used with the Glock floorplate only.

Posts: 109261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ag111ga
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
As I said, you can manpower the floorplate off but you are damaging the magazine body. There are three locking points for these floorplates and if you force the floorplate off, you are damaging two of those locking points, and shortly, those locking points will no longer function.

Well, I've only owned, repaired and tuned Glocks since 1991 and for the last 5 years I've been working as a gunsmith in a gun shop. So, yea, I probably don't know any thing.

Instead of fighting about it, why don't you try to do what I'm saying her? You probably have a Glock mag 10 feet from you. Just find a punch/stick that closely fits the hole, shove it down 2 inches, squeeze with your fingers and pull the floor plate off and see what happens.

P.s. If the magazine is destroyed I'll pay for it, just tell me and sent your PayPal email in a private message and I'll transfer the specified amount immediately.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Posts: 255 | Location: Denmark | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have tried it, and I can see the result. I don't think you're comprehending what I'm saying, and I know a thing or two about Glocks myself.

I didn't say it can't be done the way you're describing. I said it can't be done without damaging the magazine body, and in a way that most people wouldn't notice, and in a way which requires multiple removals to have an effect.

posted Hide Post
Anybody know where I can get that squeezy-thing other than at the Store that sells Glock stuff? I placed an order for other Glock parts with them last week and it still hasn't shipped, so I'm too old to wait for them.

Amazon doesn't seem to have anything like it, other than a Rube Goldberg device with some sort of built-in punch, and all I need is the squeeze device.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Anybody know where I can get that squeezy-thing other than at the Store that sells Glock stuff?
I use Knipex Cobra pliers or Quick-Grip style clamps. There are many manufacturers that make similar, less expensive knock-offs of both. If you don't have those tools already, I wouldn't spend a lot for a tool to pinch the bottom of Glock mags.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I use Knipex Cobra pliers or Quick-Grip style clamps...

They look like they're basically channel locks, right?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Knipex's are far superior, but yes, for this purpose, Channel lock-type tongue-in-groove pliers will work too. You want to use a size large enough that you grip only the middle area of the base where the indentations are with the tips of the jaws and not flat along the sides. You also want to tape the jaws or put a rag around the mag to keep from marring it.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, iron chef. I'll try it this evening.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You'll mar your mags and possibly bend the liner.

Get the right tool for the job

posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll mar your mags and possibly bend the liner.

Get the right tool for the job

I have to smile at your admonition. This is a Sig forum, and I get being careful. And using the correct tool is always a reward in and of itself. But i have to say, I consider Glocks basic guns - rather like the military views their weapons. They want them to function correctly, but looks aren't important. It's not like they're legacy guns, to hand down generation to generation as anything but a workhorse.

Long ago I shot on a Marine Reserve Bullseye team. Quantico provided us gun boxes with a Model 41, a Smith & Wesson Combat Masterpiece, and a 1911 that they had accurized. That gun was NOT particularly pretty, being the expected GI flat brown, but could it ever shoot! No one shot as well as those guns. But they weren't much to look at, unless you delved into the functional parts. They even had a small piece welded to the inside of the slide meant to push the barrel to where the pin hit the primer dead center.So while i get your point on retaining a locking quality for the floor plate, MARRING THE MAGAZINE doesn't seem all that big a priority. I personally drop them in the field when running a course and reloading, and don't much worry about them being scarred. Indeed, one big reason to fit the new extenders on them is that it adds some bottom weight, making the mag drop out more easily and more likely to land on the base and not on the lips, which runs the chance of malfunction.

Posts: 111 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You bend the internal metal liner of a Glock magazine with a pair of pliers and you won't be smiling.

It's your money

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
I think I'll go with Para on this one, so, back to my question, does anybody know where I can get the Glock-style squeezy-thing without the long wait? A link to something on Amazon that I'm unable to find on my own, would be good!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have visited Glock's US facility in Smyrna many times over the past thirty or so years. The subject of the difficulty removing Glock magazine floorplates has come up a couple of times.

One time, a Glock tech told me to put one side of the magazine body on the corner of a table and press on it from the other side.

That resulted in a severely skinned knuckle.

The next time I asked, a Glock tech told me to squeeze the bottom of the magazine body with a C-clamp.

That resulted in having to throw away what had been a perfectly good G17 magazine body.

The GTUL gadget applies the force needed in exactly the right spots on the sides of the magazine body. The tool does not apply force to the entire flats on the mag body; it has a couple of small, rounded projections that concentrate force on two specific spots. All that's needed then is a punch to get the floorplate retainer out of the way.

Anybody can manpower a floorplate off a Glock magazine using only a punch, but as I've explained, this is not the way to go about it. If you possess Andre the Giant-level grip strength and you can sufficiently squeeze the mag body to get the locking tabs past their mating notch without rounding off the tabs, I salute you. For the rest of us, I recommend you use the correct tool, and that's not pliers or C-clamps or the corner of a table.

And let me add that I also have and recommend the GTUL for the Glock G42 and G43.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hi Para - I've been using this and fairly happy with it. But should I not be using this type? Or is this okay?

https://www.realavid.com/produ...-mag-tool-for-glock/

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Hi Para - I've been using this and fairly happy with it. But should I not be using this type? Or is this okay?

https://www.realavid.com/produ...-mag-tool-for-glock/

I had one of those - once. I just don't know where it got to in the move. BUT I remember it worked A LOT BETTER than the lever-type. Can't recollect just why that was, only that it was much easier to remove the floor plates that way. IIRC, I was replacing regular FP's with extended count ones from Glock, for the 19X I once had.

Posts: 111 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You bend the internal metal liner of a Glock magazine with a pair of pliers and you won't be smiling.

It's your money

You missed my point. I was not commenting on the FUNCTIONALITY of what you suggest; those made perfect sense. It was the comment about "marring the appearance" that had me chuckling.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can't tell but if the tool squeezes the sides of the magazine body. It looks like it does not, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't tell but if the tool squeezes the sides of the magazine body. It looks like it does not, but perhaps I am mistaken.

The Avid tool doesn't squeeze the side of the mag. It lever pushes the FP while depressing pin. Is this okay?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not in my book

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll look at the mag more closely to understand the above and the suggested product.