SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glock Mag Floorates
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Mag Floorates Login/Join 
posted
?Anyone have any tricks for removing these puppies. I have 3. Ew ones and the hand tool. It keeps slipping off. Can’t seem to get those little buggers off without doing major damage to the mag.

Posts: 105 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devereaux:
?Anyone have any tricks for removing these puppies. I have 3. Ew ones and the hand tool. It keeps slipping off. Can’t seem to get those little buggers off without doing major damage to the mag.

Posts: 105 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 3. Ew ones and the hand tool.

What’s an ew mag?
Factory Glock mags can be a pita if just using a punch.
If you have one of the hooked tools, life gets much easier.
Similar to this

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3855 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one from Amazon like KMitch200's but cheaper ($8.99 including a punch front sight tool), but had to watch a video on Glockstore to be sure how to make it work. Mainly, I had to apply more force to the tool in order to get the plate to move.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9361 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m happy with the Real Avid Mag Plate Tool.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
I have 3. Ew ones and the hand tool.

What’s an ew mag?
Factory Glock mags can be a pita if just using a punch.
If you have one of the hooked tools, life gets much easier.
Similar to this

It’s a typing error - suppose to be “ new”. I have big fingers and miss letters on my phone. Sorry about that.

posted Hide Post
I have the hand tool but it only gets the plate to move a little bit. Then it slips off the mag. I think I ONCE had the Real Avid tool but have no idea where it is since we moved to Dallas. I am tempted to try using the vice. At least that way it will stay put.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have big fingers and miss letters on my phone.

That only happens to me 50 times a day! I’m in good company. Smile
When I only had a punch, I had to use a small c clamp to compress the sides of the mag *slightly* and it was still a bitch.
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I got one from Amazon like KMitch200's but cheaper ($8.99 including a punch front sight tool), but had to watch a video on Glockstore to be sure how to make it work. Mainly, I had to apply more force to the tool in order to get the plate to move.

The one I own is actually the FIXXXER brand…that was just an example I found in a quick search.
(Also just noticed that linked company is in Canada, they’ve probably been forced out of business)
I think I got the Fixxxer on the Zon but I’ve had it for so long I’m not sure. It was much closer to the price of newtosig’s tool price.
You do really have to JAM that pin in fully the hole. (Yes, I’m still talking about mags!)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3855 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pinch the sides of the tube just above the floorplate with your thumb and index finger. Push a punch or screwdriver up into the hole all the way the handle. Slide the floorplate off. You can also press the side of the magazine into the corner of a table or counter in place of one of the fingers (probably the index).

It's more technique than strength, but it does require some strength. Generally they get easier after they've been removed a couple times.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Once I got mine apart, I used a razor blade to remove the wings, now the plate comes off with just a punch or ball point pen.

There’s a you tube video of what to do

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...320009605#4320009605
quote:
You will find Glock floorplate removal tools that simply manpower the floorplate off the magazine body by leverage. Avoid these. The reason being, there are two floorplate retainer tabs on either side of the magazine body, externally. When you use a tool that forces the floorplate past these tabs, you round off the tabs. You don't want that. You don't want a fully loaded Glock magazine hitting hard ground with compromised locking tabs. You might be just fine. Then again, you might not. There is a floorplate retainer that locks into the bottom of the floorplate. You'll see it when you remove the floorplate. This part probably will keep the floorplate in place without the two tabs, but ask yourself- why does Glock incorporate those two external locking tabs? They're not there needlessly. Therefore, don't deform them.

You need a tool that allows you to slightly compress the sides of the magazine body at the base before you use a punch or something else to pull the floorplate off. This is what I use:

GTUL & Mag Brush Combo 9MM/40S&W

This is how it works: https://mygtul.com/instructions/

If you leverage the floorplate off of the magazine body again and again (to change mag springs, clean the mag, whatever) without compressing the sides of the magazine body, you will end up with magazines you cannot trust completely.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've converted several department armorers to using the GTUL, rather than the official Glock Armorer method involving just levering with a punch.

Way easier, and not as hard on the mag parts. In addition to worn tabs, I've seen broken floorplate retainers from using the official method.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In armories, someone else is paying for the magazines and replacement mags are always to be had.

Picture of ag111ga
posted Hide Post
The trick is the retaining plate, it has to be pushed down far enough to allow the mag body to be squeezed slightly and than the floor plate can be removed easily.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Posts: 246 | Location: Denmark | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Of course, but are you telling us that your squeezing the sides of the magazine by hand? With first generation Glock mags, yes, but with the FML mags you're exceptionally strong to do this without the aid of a tool.

Picture of ag111ga
posted Hide Post
Yes, you don't have to squeeze very much, pulling the floor plate forward, as long as there nothing in the way, will do the rest of the job.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Posts: 246 | Location: Denmark | Registered: April 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...320009605#4320009605
quote:
You will find Glock floorplate removal tools that simply manpower the floorplate off the magazine body by leverage. Avoid these. The reason being, there are two floorplate retainer tabs on either side of the magazine body, externally. When you use a tool that forces the floorplate past these tabs, you round off the tabs. You don't want that. You don't want a fully loaded Glock magazine hitting hard ground with compromised locking tabs. You might be just fine. Then again, you might not. There is a floorplate retainer that locks into the bottom of the floorplate. You'll see it when you remove the floorplate. This part probably will keep the floorplate in place without the two tabs, but ask yourself- why does Glock incorporate those two external locking tabs? They're not there needlessly. Therefore, don't deform them.

You need a tool that allows you to slightly compress the sides of the magazine body at the base before you use a punch or something else to pull the floorplate off. This is what I use:

GTUL & Mag Brush Combo 9MM/40S&W

This is how it works: https://mygtul.com/instructions/

If you leverage the floorplate off of the magazine body again and again (to change mag springs, clean the mag, whatever) without compressing the sides of the magazine body, you will end up with magazines you cannot trust completely.

Went ahead and bought that tool. I don’t intend to replace the floor plate but to put on an aftermarket mag extender. Still, when you mentioned the tabs, I looked at the inside rails of the extender. They have a slot on either side to accommodate that slot. I expect getting THOSE puppies off will still be a hassle but at least they don’t need to be removed for mag cleaning. They have a floor plate that slides out from the rest of the body. It’s held in place by a set screw. Kind of nice. I think I’m going to buy some more - offer them to my son, who has a 19X.

Thanks to all of you for all the good advise. Obviously you’ve hassled with Glock floor plates before. I unfortunately don’t clean mine nearly often enough.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm glad these are available w/o the punch/brush. A good stocking-stuffer as most everyone has a glock now days.
I replaced a couple Gen2 mag springs and while it wasn't too much trouble, it was enough to spend some money on one of these.

Posts: 7481 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ag111ga:
Yes, you don't have to squeeze very much, pulling the floor plate forward, as long as there nothing in the way, will do the rest of the job.
Ask someone to demonstrate this to you- doing it with just a punch to depress the floorplate retainer, without deforming the two retainer tabs. You're saying this so casually. I don't think you have any idea.

As I said, you can manpower the floorplate off but you are damaging the magazine body. There are three locking points for these floorplates and if you force the floorplate off, you are damaging two of those locking points, and shortly, those locking points will no longer function.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by ag111ga:
Ask someone to demonstrate this to you- doing it with just a punch to depress the floorplate retainer, without deforming the two retainer tabs. You're saying this so casually. I don't think you have any idea.

As I said, you can manpower the floorplate off but you are damaging the magazine body. There are three locking points for these floorplates and if you force the floorplate off, you are damaging two of those locking points, and shortly, those locking points will no longer function.

?So one should retain the inner floor plate when adding an aftermarket extension. The one I got doesn’t seem to need that part, but it can be put in. There is no tab hole in the bottom to hold the stub of the inner floor plate.