SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prostate cancer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prostate cancer Login/Join 
Picture of Steve in PA
posted
About a month ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Last year, I was having some old guy issues; getting up in the middle of the night to pee a lot, feeling like I wasn't emptying my bladder completely, weak urine flow, etc.

My wife convinced me to see a urologist and I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. Biopsy came back negative, so I was given medication to help with the flow.

During this years follow up, by PSA jumped to 8.1 from a 5 something last year. Had an MRI done prior to second biopsy. Doctor said he found several suspicious areas. After biopsy, it was confirmed for PC. My Gleason score is a 7 (4+3).

My doctor, wife and I discussed the situation and we felt prostate surgery was the best option. I'll be 61 come February and I did not want radiation treatment.

Doctor wanted me to go to Temple to have the procedure done, however that is a couple of hours drive for us and I could not have my wife drive that as she has medical conditions of her own.

So, early in December I'm meeting with another local doctor recommended by my doctor to discuss the surgery. This will only be 20 minutes from our home.

So, guys.....if you start having the issues I mentioned, go get checked!!! My doctor feels we discovered the PC in time and that after the surgery I should be fine.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you, friend. I’m overdue for all that over 50 stuff. I should schedule a checkup.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Did the meds help for the night time wakeups? Flomax I assume?

Good luck with the treatment!

Mark -- Let me know if you need a good PCP recommendation.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
First off Ill be praying for you.

Secondly, is something like Cyberknife available to you?

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I was diagnosed with PC in 2003, at age 56+. I forget the Gleason score, but it was within a range that gave high confidence that surgery would get it all. I underwent a radical perineal prostatectomy, which is a very good choice for the surgeon, as it gives him an unobstructed view of the prostate and surrounds. Yet it is real surgery, as opposed to the newer robotic methods. 2+ days in the hospital. Since the surgery, my PSA has been zero (for 18 years now).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had prostate surgery about 6 months ago. Very glad I had it done. Most recent Gleason score was 0.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. Said a prayer for you and your surgeon.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was 73 when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. The decision in my case was radiation.

Best wishes to you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Best wishes with your surgery, Steve. I was 57 when my doc discovered my PCa. I did a lot of research and interviewed 4 different docs before deciding on robotic surgery. 17 years later and my PSA is still unmeasurable.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Following this,
I am going in for a biopsy in mid December. I don't have any of the symptoms other that a moderately enlarged prostate. I usually only get up once a night to pee other than that none of the usual symptoms.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would say to go wherever the best surgery can be performed and work out the accommodations.
It's too important.
Good luck and best wishes.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Steve, the prostatectomy is probably the surest way to go. Your age should preclude any incontinence problems that can result, more common with those over 65. Let us know how your recovery goes.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8348 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed in 06 and had the surgery right away. I live 150 miles from Chicago and had access to one of the top PC surgeons in the world. He told me last Summer I had graduated as it had been 15 years since my surgery.

You need to go to the best doctor you can. If that means inconvenience, it is worth it. I am sure your wife could find someone to drive her. It is very important, you get the best surgeon you can. Your quality of life for your remaining years is at stake.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I had a similar situation about ten years ago (my late 50's)and had robotic surgery. My score was a 6 and any tests showed it was likely confined to the prostate, small and not an aggressive type cell. For me this seemed to be the best option and I still think so.
My original doctor was an older and excellent clinician but his recommendation for treatment (watch & wait or active surveillance) was more based on his lifetime of past experience and there have been a lot of improvements in recent years.

My advise is to talk to anyone you can, read a lot, and get second opinions on any proposed treatments. The link below is to a really good radiation clinic in Florida. I included it because he has lots of good info and articles, not necessarily for his services in your case. However if I had more advanced prostate cancer that had spread and needed radiation therapy, I would do whatever I needed to go there. He's treated people I know that had more serious cases and they had excellent long term outcomes. Read his info on the difference in 3+4 score versus a 4+3 for example.

Also find a doctor for your surgery that has done a lot of whatever specific treatment you decide to use. This is not a type of procedure for a general surgeon and I would not recommend having done at a small town hospital just for convenience. The procedure and recovery is quick so go where ever needed and do it right.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions. The good news is that this is a very treatable and often curable cancer and much better options than there were 20 years ago.

https://dattoli.com/prostate-cancer-patient-advice/

https://dattoli.com/wp-content...e-Surveillance-1.pdf

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Steve,

You have mail

Posts: 447 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
It has been a year since I finished the radiation treatments for PC. Went this route after conducting research on availability of treatments and consultations with doctors and people who had undergone the various treatments. Follow ups with urologists and oncologists show PSA levels are at the lowest they can possibly be. Will continue quarterly follow ups for another year. Best wishes.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today is the first anniversary of my surgery. I had no symptoms, but my first PSA at age 65 (yes, waited to long) was 8.4. My Gleason score after the biopsy was 3+4. The urologist was about an hour and a half away, but was highly recommended. He had performed 2K robotic procedures prior to mine. The last PSA in July was <0.008.

After the biopsy I asked the Dr. if he diagnosed many cases that were symptom free and was surprised to hear "Yes, most of them".

Good luck Steve.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Most men who have Prostate Cancer die with it, not because of it, but there are exceptions.

Best of luck.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

I’ve been suffering from BPH for years, an I’m waiting for that diagnosis at some point.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1177 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to read this; I said a little prayer for you.

As I pass the age of 50, I am hyper sensitive to seeing the word cancer; it seems to be everywhere.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
drcatalona.com is a good place for info. He was my surgeon and has done the procedure over 6,000 times. It was closer to 5 when he did mine.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post