SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best home WiFi Router
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best home WiFi Router Login/Join 
Picture of Cabellocabeza
posted
Hello,

Any advice on the best home WiFi router to get?

I am getting a fiber drop installed soon so I want to add a wifi router. I have about 6 devices and mostly need good network speeds.

I work from home now and must access numerous cloud based applications.

Thanks,

Posts: 40 | Registered: July 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert but I just finally got high speed internet at my house through Comcast. 1G speed. I"m using the Netgear Orbi mesh system. I got it for $350 on sale at Costco, now $499. I have about 950 MB consistently throughout the house. No issues so far.

https://www.costco.com/netgear...oduct.100533367.html

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12487 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Asus RT-AX86U, includes a 2.5Gbs WAN port if your fiber connection is above 1Gb.

Amazon has it currently for $250 - well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT...id=1640993384&sr=8-1

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4340 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I use the Amazon eero mesh system, have not had any problems with it. Bought the newest Pro 6 units but have not installed them yet.

Posts: 18131 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm using eero Nest 6. Love it.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7124 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Be wary of chinese companies…

I switched from netgear to motorola and am very happy. No accounts. No weird issues. Modem and router both good. Ymmv.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12793 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Bought a TP-Link AX11000 at Costco about 3 months ago, no issues at all.
Great coverage area. It is currently on sale for $219.

Posts: 1360 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
ASUS makes a good dual band router (dual ISP’s). I would see if you could get a backup ISP. Their cheapest plan, etc, so you have backup. I’d stick to only routers that support dual ISP’s.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12696 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Amazon eero mesh system. I've used it for several years and it has been fantastic. Much better than previous solutions I used.

I just upgraded to the new eero version with wifi 6.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I like a Netgate appliance or an older computer running pfsense and an EnGenius WAP.

https://www.netgate.com/pfsens...ow-to-buy#appliances
https://www.engeniustech.com/a...indoor-wireless.html

Probably total overkill but that's fun. Big Grin

Posts: 45413 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I am following and interested in upgrading my router that is about 5-years old.

Though I am computer savvy, appreciate having and easy setup system.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I like a Netgate appliance or an older computer running pfsense and an EnGenius WAP.

Actually, very sensible but only for those who actually think through the process.

Posts: 22985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cabellocabeza:
Hello,

Any advice on the best home WiFi router to get?

I am getting a fiber drop installed soon so I want to add a wifi router. I have about 6 devices and mostly need good network speeds.

I work from home now and must access numerous cloud based applications.

Thanks,

FWIW, taking recommendations without knowing any (or almost none) of the details and requirements is fruitless.
Additionally, what is your ISP providing?
Perhaps you don't need a third party "router".

Posts: 22985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have recently switched to the Anplifi Alien (made by Ubiquiti)

Absolutely happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6247 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the Orbi Mesh system for 4-5 years. 3 hubs that covers a large area. No complaints.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4245 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an ASUS RT-AC86U a year ago and it has been great.

Speed, range, features…

Posts: 1084 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Actually, very sensible but only for those who actually think through the process.
Yeah, it's a little more involved than just plugging in a few ethernet cables. I put together a 1u server to run pfsense and run a NAS and a couple of servers. I've got to learn a few more things (or maybe many more things) but I enjoy homelabbing.

Posts: 45413 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Orbi Mesh

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

I hate to tell you but voting is a terrible way to solve a technical problem.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

I hate to tell you but voting is a terrible way to solve a technical problem.
Not when you're voting on exactly how screwed you are. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post