SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Manhurin 73s from Beretta
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manhurin 73s from Beretta Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
Has anyone shot/bought one? Don't have any really use for it, but kinda thinking I want one...

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I bought one from a small importer shortly before Beretta started importing them.

I’ve been so busy I haven’t actually shot it yet. One of these days.

They are absurdly expensive, but they’re also mechanically impressive with exceptional fit and finish. The cylinder lock up is perfect and it has the best trigger I have felt on a revolver (including old Smiths and Pythons).

There was a pretty big thread here when Beretta announced they would be importing them. As I recall, it was pretty much the mix you would expect of a few “I have one, they’re awesome” posts, some “cool, I want one” posts, and some “what kind of idiot would spend that on a revolver” posts.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was a pretty big thread here when Beretta announced they would be importing them. As I recall, it was pretty much the mix you would expect of a few “I have one, they’re awesome” posts, some “cool, I want one” posts, and some “what kind of idiot would spend that on a revolver” posts.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/8120018184

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I have used one as a rental gun on the range for the past 2 years. It has outlasted the S&W and Ruger revolvers by a large margin. They are definitely built to survive on a diet of magnum loads.
It is still to be seen whether the overall lifecycle costs are lower though since the initial cost prices are several times more.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well you don’t have to be able to figure out how to put men on Mars to do the math on this one. You can buy a minimum of 3-4 GP100’s or L frames for the price of one Manhurin.

Surely you aren’t thinking that these French rental guns are 3 times stronger? That would be incredibly unlikely. I would take that bet every day that they aren’t.

I wonder if you have any actual numbers or data about these shot out Ruger’s and S&W’s? The Manhurins are 2 years old, so shot counts, and how the domestic revolvers died would be interesting.

I’m actually surprised this style of revolver is even being rented much. Only connoisseurs would rent a MR73 and most rentals are semi autos not revolvers. Canada may be the difference there. If revolvers, Ruger’s and Smiths are still being rented heavily there might be hope for humanity. Lol

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Well you don’t have to be able to figure out how ... blah, blah, blah ...

Lol

Lol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 from an importer 3 inch and a 5 1/4 inch with extended sight. Both have deep lustrous blue and great out of the box trigger pull. I sold 1 S&W Registered magnum to buy the 2 Manurhins.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice ones, RFSALES!

How well does that rubber grip work?

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Trausch grips are very good.They fit my hand and the ridge really control recoil. I have 2 other French guns, Ruger SP101 and Manurhin model 88 both have Trausch grips and feel really good.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'd sure like to try Rausch grips on my N Frame Smith & Wessons.
Wish they'd make some.

posted Hide Post
Blah blah blah. Lol. I guess stating that a 3000 dollar gun is the better value based on an internet gun rental tale seems reasonable to some. Nice guns, hyperbole is a bit much for me. Of course the overall lifecycle costs are HIGHER. You don’t buy a Ferrari because it’s lifecycle cost is lower. Gmafb.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blah blah blah. Lol. I guess stating that a 3000 dollar gun is the better value based on an internet gun rental tale seems reasonable to some. Nice guns, hyperbole is a bit much for me. Of course the overall lifecycle costs are HIGHER. You don’t buy a Ferrari because it’s lifecycle cost is lower. Gmafb.

Back in October 2021, you promised to stay out of MR73 threads.
And here you are, leaving your skidmarks across yet another one. Just can't stop yourself, can you.

Sorry, RFSALES, I'm not helping much, am I.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I don’t know that the durability of the MR73 is as much higher than a S&W as it’s price is, but part of the story of the MR73 is that the French GIGN (basically the elite national police SWAT team) started out with Smith and Wesson revolvers and switched to the MR73 when their training regimen of 150-rounds-per-day of full magnum loads beat the Smiths to pieces.

I have no idea if it’s actually true (or how modern Smiths compare to those from the 70s), and even if it is, it’s totally irrelevant to at least 99.9% of shooters.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
As a revolver junkie, I'd absolutely love to try one of these. I'll never own one...I'm in the wrong income bracket for that, but the mechanics intrigue me and I'd love to experience what the fuss is all about. I also wish I had the time and income to shoot enough rounds through a Smith to blow it up, but as things stand I think my Smiths and Rugers are pretty safe at least for my foreseeable lifetime Big Grin.

Posts: 8398 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I think smiths lose timing around 50k. Kinda remember the revolver guys saying they had to have theirs rebuilt every 6 months to a year.

Colts go out at 25k, I think. I don’t remember meeting any Ruger shooters with a high annual round count.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best Ruger I ever saw was from an old gunsmith, MGW I think, who back in the day when Python barrels were cheap screwed a Python barrel onto his Ruger Security whatever and made the coolest Ruger ever made. He called it some combination of Colt Python and Ruger. It was a catchy name that I can’t quite recall.

My understanding from him was that it was quite common back then.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a catchy name that I can’t quite recall.

I've heard them referred to as Cougers. Something similar was done with Python barrels on S&W's. Those were called Smythons.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well you don’t have to be able to figure out how to put men on Mars to do the math on this one. You can buy a minimum of 3-4 GP100’s or L frames for the price of one Manhurin.

Surely you aren’t thinking that these French rental guns are 3 times stronger? That would be incredibly unlikely. I would take that bet every day that they aren’t.

I wonder if you have any actual numbers or data about these shot out Ruger’s and S&W’s? The Manhurins are 2 years old, so shot counts, and how the domestic revolvers died would be interesting.

I’m actually surprised this style of revolver is even being rented much. Only connoisseurs would rent a MR73 and most rentals are semi autos not revolvers. Canada may be the difference there. If revolvers, Ruger’s and Smiths are still being rented heavily there might be hope for humanity. Lol

We were getting MR73 revolvers for just over 2x the cost of the S&W 686 or Ruger GP100.
Most of the S&W revolvers lasted only 2 years on the rental rack. Once the hammer stud broke off the frame they were considered beyond economical repair. In general the Ruger revolvers faired better, but over the last 6 or so years we have a large number of barrels split at the forcing cone. Ruger would cover replacement but it would take the better part of a year to get done.
I am waiting to see how long the MR73 operates without breaking. It might end up costing less that the S&W in the long run.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing to argue about here. If you like it and can afford it, buy it. If not, don't. Bitching about cost and arguing about durability are irrelevant.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post