SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scientific American: Gun owners are mostly insecure racists
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scientific American: Gun owners are mostly insecure racists Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
From the people who brought you "Global Warming" and "Climate Change".

Fuk off !

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
At my range, I'm seeing more and more people of color in training and practicing. I am really surprised at the amount of black women in the crowd. Almost every one is friendly and appears anxious to learn and become proficient in defending themselves. I dont think the author is in line with real people.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
If this were true, insecure and racist white gun owners would be responsible for a rash of minority murders.
Game, set, and match.

Yep.

But... here's another perspective on "The basic white man":

What Does the White Man Want?
By Lee Whitworth

I was driving around St. Louis last fall, very near Ferguson, where recently a white cop shot dead a black teen.

A black man, V, was waiting at a bus stop alone. I figured I could get him home half an hour earlier than the bus, so I stopped and offered him a ride. His expression went from alert and careful to thinking about it and finally acceptance. He picked up his stuff and got in the car.

V is a hardworking man, headed home from a long day. As we talked, I learned that his entire life experience has been in one locale, North St. Louis.

I asked him what the news is around here and what's going on. I referenced Ferguson.

That got V going. He had a lot to say about race relations – white people, black people, the white cops, the black people being screwed by the white people, getting profiled, people with power. His view of race relations across the country is what he has heard, not what he has observed. It sounds like a formula. A narrative.

The narrative, the Progressive narrative, says the White Man meditates on and obsesses over race and gender, money, winning with the intent of defeating the other guy, owning and oppressing the woman, keeping the races separate and oppressed. He is angry. He is the villain.

The talk and the drive were a fun back-and-forth. I told him my view on race: I don't believe in race or races. The only two distinct groups are men and women. There are only four blood types in the whole world, and chances are that if you cut my hand and V's hand with a knife, the same blood type would drip out. There is only one race: the human race. Noah is the father of us all, and Adam before that. We are not experiencing a biological divide; we are experiencing an ideological divide, and there are people who want us to hate each other.

It blew his mind. He had never heard that before.

The ride ended, and we exchanged phone numbers. Weeks later, we texted Thanksgiving greetings to each other.

Hopefully, I represented the White Man, and more importantly, Jesus, to him in a positive way.

I can't speak for every white man. There are a whole bunch of white males that I totally do not get. Man buns and manscaping are outside my zone.

But I can speak for the basic white man who does basic white man stuff, because I am a BWM. I will read his mind for you.

The BWM does not think about race.

The basic white man almost never thinks about race. Even if he is in the company of other skin cultures in his routine of life, he's relaxed and minding his own business.

Listening to V and social justice warriors, they seem to think that white males are always thinking race and social division. In truth, white men daydream about racial and social group stuff as much as women daydream about earthmoving equipment and table saws.

The BWM does not see people as races. He sees people as individuals.

The basic white man can work with others, or worship with others, or travel with others, and pay it no mind. He's actually practicing Martin Luther King's line, judging by content of character.

If there is a person from another skin context who overtly draws his attention, he notices. Otherwise, he's thinking about the next thing he has to do, and racial stuff is never the next thing.

The BWM highly values safety, order, and peace.

Don't miss it. This is the basic white man's philosophy in motion.

The basic white man mingles easily with people from every skin culture and thinks nothing of it.

It is when the other person interferes with the BWM's safety and order that he will notice and respond.

The BWM seeks a peaceful, clean neighborhood not because he hates other skin colors. He seeks a peaceful neighborhood because he values safety, peace, and order.

For the same reason, the basic white male hates noise. Yelling, disputes, fighting, uncontrolled gunfire, traffic, mobs of people, car sound systems, trains, and other loud noises will force him out.

The BWM wants to be able to go to work, get his stuff, and go home in peace.

The basic white man simply wants to go here and there without risk or disorder. He wants to be left alone. He owns guns as tools to aid in that pursuit.

The BWM is not thinking about racial domination or subjugating other people groups.

That's too much for a guy with a job and a mortgage and a leaky faucet and youth soccer on his mind. His responsibilities keep him in check.

Cultural or world domination he leaves to others.

Beyond safety and order, the basic white man wants just one thing: respect. He will do nothing if you show disrespect from a distance. He will notice and perk up if you defy him on his lawn. He will take it all the way if you enter his personal space.

The BWM does not like the fruit of his work to pay for others who do not work.

That is not a racial thing; it is a moral thing. The basic white man does not like slackers, regardless of their skin color. He sees that work is good and sloth is bad, and therefore the one who makes a lifestyle of receiving taxpayer-funded benefits is bad because he is stealing.

The BWM does think about sex and sexual politics.

But he wants nothing to do with domination and exploitation. He wants to share life with a woman, strength with strength.

The basic white man wants sex, but not more than or uniquely from any other man's skin color. He finds women lovely. He does not want to use a woman; he wants to enjoy and to enjoy back and protect and join together to conquer just this little bit of ground and make life fuller.

The BWM is not angry; he is awakened.

The basic white man is growing in alertness to the world around him. He sees disrespect, disunity, drugs, loss of the nuclear family, and rising government power. He sees taxes and business people losing their jobs for not being politically correct. He hears people talking about taking his guns and his speech.

He sees loss of the freedom to create his own space and keep his own peaceful life. That stirs his attention.

It is not anger; it is interest. Someone has stepped on his lawn, and now he cares.

The basic white man may eventually recede out of influence.

That will leave a vacuum.

The country will then lack self-control, quiet and orderly leadership, objectivity, strength, quiet professionalism, sound infrastructure and productive farming, important vocational and industrial skill sets, family order, safety, protection, benign government, definition of roles, and societal cohesion.

And we will wish that we had not done it.

https://www.americanthinker.co..._white_man_want.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24120 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Total liberal bullshit. Again.. Roll Eyes

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
After being around for 170 years Scientific American was taken over by a bunch of leftists. After being a continuous subscriber for over 60 years, I canceled my subscription a while back.

Leftists can fuck up a wet dream.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
As a person who has spent time in the research of social sciences, I must call this utter trash: lots of commentary with no valid causal proof. It is merely an effort to pander to the extreme leftist mind. The author(s) are delusional if they think this sputtering pap is robust in logic or scrutiny. Only a like-minded snowflake would think this is a serious scholarly work. What a waste of a few moments out of our lives.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This "guy" is intellectually superior to us rednecks. He has the definitive studies that say so.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's definitely bullshit, but dangerous bullshit with an agenda.
Every significant gun control regulation in the US weaseled through with bullshit. This case the "villain" is the white male and the target is the AR15.

1934 - NFA - "gangster guns". Villain was the Italian gangster and the target was short barrels and machine guns.

1968 - GCA - "Saturday night specials". Villain was the black rioter and the target was inexpensive guns particularly handguns.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Well, I kind of fucked up his study.

White, medical doctor (with a specialty), religious, been employed my entire life, am a minority (Jewish), IDF veteran.

Yup. Like most here, we all fit his exact description.

I am a misanthrope - just to give him one point.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Nonsense. I'm not insecure. Razz

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Fucking commies. More than likely just managed to insult a good portion of their readership. Roll Eyes
I used to be one.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
this beta needs to start stock piling testosterone. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of these 'studies' fail to control for sheer number of gun owners who won't cop to owning guns. I don't think any of the gun owners I know personally would ever agree to partake in a study on gun ownership.

I think that tends to bias the pool of interviewees to those eccentric types who never shut up about guns ever.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Fuq ‘em all!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that post Chellim1.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I'm not stupid, I'm stupendous.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
“Ridicule of working-class white people is not helpful,” says Angela Stroud. “We need to push the ‘good guys’ to have a deeper connection to other people. We need to reimagine who we are in relation to each other.”

I've had my forced share of "diversity training", Never Again! Fuck you!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Total liberal bullshit. Again.. Roll Eyes

Yep. They can spray paint it pink and douse it in perfume, but it's still the same BS.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have visited a lot of forums, including "intellectual" ones, over the years, but there is more intellect here, including practical real-world intelligence, than any other forum I know about.

This piece is almost laughable, except that many of them believe it.

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post