SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scientific American: Gun owners are mostly insecure racists
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scientific American: Gun owners are mostly insecure racists Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
https://blogs.scientificameric...n-stockpiling-guns/#

Uneducated, white, racist, blah blah blah

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Create the "other".

Made notes of the article and the terms used are:
White
Male
Anxious
Less educated
Not religious
Crisis
Conservative

The "other" they can create by stigmatizing a gun owner as an anxious, not educated, not religious, and suffering from a crisis.

Paints the picture as unstable, unreasonable, not trustworthy etc.

12121 hits it on the head with his assessment - Fucking commies indeed.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Sounds very Scientific.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats the best laugh I've had all day

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fucking commies. More than likely just managed to insult a good portion of their readership. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Author:
Jeremy Adam Smith

Jeremy Adam Smith is editor of Greater Good magazine and author or co-editor of four books, including The Compassionate Instinct and Are We Born Racist?

Recent Articles

The Psychology of Taking a Knee
How the Science of "Blue Lies" May Explain Trump's Support

Screw you, Jerry. It's a White Thing, you wouldn't understand. Also, it's a Male thing, you wouldn't understand that either.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
I read it and as someone who is a trained scientist I say with complete confidence the author fails to meet any of the key scientific requirements; or as my Dad would say; "what a load of manure".

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"What are the solutions? That and many other studies suggest that restricting the flow of guns and ammunition would certainly save lives. But no law can address the absence of meaning and purpose that many white men appear to feel, which they might be able to gain through social connection to people who never expected to have the economic security and social power that white men once enjoyed.

“Ridicule of working-class white people is not helpful,” says Angela Stroud. “We need to push the ‘good guys’ to have a deeper connection to other people. We need to reimagine who we are in relation to each other.”

The views expressed are those of the author(s) and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.
"

Oh.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good god, what utter dreck.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Al Gore I now know about this extra chromosome I have to cart around so cut me some slack. The pseudoscience is settled.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
That wasn’t true for women and non-whites. In other words, they may have suffered setbacks—but women and people of color weren’t turning to guns to make themselves feel better. “This suggests that these owners have other sources of meaning and coping when facing hard times,"

Has he been to places like Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, et al recently?

"insecure about their place in the job market"
Sorry bucko, I retired after 47 years of working, not one day unemployment, did miss work on two occasions for a total of three months due to medical reasons. I'm still getting requests to "stop by, let's talk about you working for me" even though I am working part time.

Again:But Stroud also discovered another motivation: racial anxiety. “A lot of people talked about how important Obama was to get a concealed-carry license
Had mine since George W. was in office. One of the reasons was that it made it a lot easier to transport a handgun to and from the range due to state laws here.

Glad he told me I'm abnormal, thought I was pretty together all this time...

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, how 'bout that...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bayouman:
I read it and as someone who is a trained scientist I say with complete confidence the author fails to meet any of the key scientific requirements; or as my Dad would say; "what a load of manure".

Did you not see that there were DEFINITIVE STUDIES you racist goon?

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
If this were true, insecure and racist white gun owners would be responsible for a rash of minority murders.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
"What are the solutions? That and many other studies suggest that restricting the flow of guns and ammunition would certainly save lives. But no law can address the absence of meaning and purpose that many white men appear to feel, which they might be able to gain through social connection to people who never expected to have the economic security and social power that white men once enjoyed.

“Ridicule of working-class white people is not helpful,” says Angela Stroud. “We need to push the ‘good guys’ to have a deeper connection to other people. We need to reimagine who we are in relation to each other.”
"

Oh.

What are the solutions?
studies "suggest"? translation: I'm making this up.
"restricting the flow" Roll Eyes of guns and ammunition... would certainly save lives.
What is this "flow"? You mean the right to legally purchase?
translation: the law abiding gun owner needs to have his guns taken away... for his own good.

and then there's this tripe:
“Ridicule of working-class white people is not helpful,” says Angela Stroud.
Really? Isn't that exactly what you are engaged in?

I think maybe Angela Stroud should be watching Tucker Carlson's discussion of Men in America.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Damn millennial gun owners blowing the bell curve. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What, nobody has said "Well bless his heart" yet?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8107 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
If this were true, insecure and racist white gun owners would be responsible for a rash of minority murders.
Yep. The black bodies being stacked up in Chicago, Baltimore, Oakland, and other US shitholes are not a result of Luther, Cleetus, and Bubba cruising the hood bagging their quota of home boys.

I'm going to utilize my abundant supply of "toxic masculinity", and call this article exactly what it is...complete and utter BS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If someone wants to call me an uneducated, insecure racist it's fine with me. I'll just agree and go on about my day if it makes them feel better about themselves. I'm at the point where I don't care what anybody wants to call me.

Posts: 3457 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Game, set, and match.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post