SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford is going to do it again and may regret it later as in the past?? Ford Phasing out Most Sedans by 2020
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford is going to do it again and may regret it later as in the past?? Ford Phasing out Most Sedans by 2020 Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
If I could only own a single vehicle, it would be a truck hands down. They are good enough now that they don't really give up much performance or comfort wise to a car, and their level of utility is just so much higher.

My wife had only driven small cars until her last one blew a transmission. I went back to driving my beater Ranger and she got my SUV. She refuses to go back to a car now. I hate getting in and out of cars now. I feel like a turtle that got flipped onto its back.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Question for Sigforum members. What’s in your garage? Car or SUV/Truck?

Junk. Just junk. Of course most of it's "good" junk, but still. The vehicles - one car and one truck - get parked in the driveway.

I've also been a Ford guy most of my life. There was one exception, an early 80's Chevy S-10 that turned to be a POS. My last truck, a diesel F-250, lasted me literally 20 years until I f'd up and loaned it to a friend who then totaled it. But I had already decided by then that it was time for a change. A new Mustang was on the short list for a while, but the change turned out to be a Dodge. Who woulda thunk? And of course I still need a truck now and then (range trips, weekend camping trips, dogs to the vet trips, the annual three day long snowpocalypse, etc.), so I also have an older used Tundra. Who woulda thunk?

It wasn't all that long ago that all the LEO's vehicles around here were Crown Vics. But those are mostly gone now, replaced by growing numbers of SUVs and a whole lot of Chargers.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I just can't get excited over these car-based "SUVs." With all the seats folded up they have little storage space, which is also visible through the rear window. I want either a sedan with four doors and a separate large trunk, or go all the way and get a pickup truck that (my personal metric for utility) can haul my half a ton of tool boxes. If I could only afford one (like now) it would be the sedan, and rent a truck for the day.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the Mustang remains!

Although I see they plan to introduce a hybrid Mustang...

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
Manufacturers build what people buy.

People are buying SUV/trucks.

My garage has two suv’s and a Mustang.

Question for Sigforum members. What’s in your garage? Car or SUV/Truck?

2016 VW GTI and 2016 BMW 4-Series convertible. I detest SUV’s and trucks. I want something fast that’s fun to drive. I have zero use for a 4 wheel drive anything.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For over a decade I have driven nothing smaller than a full sized pickup truck. When child number 3 was on the way I traded the truck in for the Chevy traverse. I never paid attention to them before but it fit my needs and I’m a die hard Chevy guy (anyone driving anything else pros on the street). I love the SUV, it suits me and works for my family, and if history has any meaning it will get me well over 200k on the odometer. On top of that I just today fit a full sized fridge in it with the back seats folded down.
My neighbor has an older chrystler suv with over 150k and loves it. He loves his suvs as well.
The market is trending towards suv and crossover type vehicles and good on ford for recognizing the market trend. You will still never see a ford product in my driveway.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I have zero use for a 4 wheel drive anything.

That's all I have use for.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 X Mk 1 Honda Pilot in my stable. Absolutely love them with very little repair cost beyond brakes. Both over 100k and we will drive them till they die. I don’t like the latest Pilot either, indistinguishable from 80% of other suvs.

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
American men have for a long time think driving a big trucks makes them more of a man. Lol I see so many trucks every day with one driver and an empty bed all while enjoying that 13 mpg.

But Ford has bigger issues with their Exploder...

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/carbon-monoxide/

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
This announcement made me pay attention as I drove past Ford dealers yesterday.

It looks to be acknowledgement of what the dealers are stocking. I'd be willing to bet a fair percentage of the sedans are force shipped to those dealers.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think this is wise. The market demands trucks and SUVs from them over cars. The market prefers the cars from import companies. Leverage your abilities toward your most valuable products.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Make no mistake guys. Cars sell. And they sell well. Accords, Civics, Prius, Camry, C class, 3 series. There's a metric shit pile of cars out there folks. But the key word is... METRIC.

Hell, I hadn't really even realized Ford still made a sedan. I thought they killed the Taurus a decade ago.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I think this is wise. The market demands trucks and SUVs from them over cars. The market prefers the cars from import companies. Leverage your abilities toward your most valuable products.

Problem is, vehicle manufacturers need to sell small cars with great gas mileage to balance out the SUV bad gas mileage to make the CAFE (fuel mileage) average.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Problem is, vehicle manufacturers need to sell small cars with great gas mileage to balance out the SUV bad gas mileage to make the CAFE (fuel mileage) average.

Solid point. .gov always changes the calculus in an otherwise simple formula. Maybe they're going to make a lot of small fuel efficient coupes, eh?.