SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time Warp Involving Beer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time Warp Involving Beer Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I went to lunch with 2 30 somethings yesterday. One was drinking Stag and the other Schlitz. These are beers from 60 or more years ago.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show that there is no accounting for taste.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Were they hipsters? The reason I ask is hipsteers intentionally do things to be ironic like drink bad beer.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you could still get Schlitz. A beer I used to drink a lot of in my youth.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, if I could find some Schlitz, I would drink me a bit. In years past, here in Az at least it was a thing. My Mom and Dad drank it, along with a long defunct brand here, known as A-1. A-1 was brewed in Arizona, I drank a goodly amount of it years back as well. I didn't think of Schlitz or A-1 as inferior beer. I wish I had saed some cans, though, lol.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Were they hipsters? The reason I ask is hipsteers intentionally do things to be ironic like drink bad beer.

Has to be a hipster thing because those are both terrible beers. Absolute garbage. They do the same thing with PBR and other iconic yet terrible (and terribly overrated) beers from the American macro-brew heyday.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
So many old beers - Knickerbocker, Rheingold, Ballantine, Falstaff, Schmidts, to name a few.
None of them were very good as I recall.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Add Strohs to that list. Haven’t drank that swill since I turned 21.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, from the Land of Sky Blue Waters...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If memory serves for Stroh's someone got the idea to pasteurize it. That much heat for beer is very counter productive. Living in Ohio Blatz was my brothers beer of choice. Awful.

Around here Walters was the big thing. Brewery went out but was revived about 5 years ago. They make a decent brew now, but its more expensive than most imports. So, I don't get it very often.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I remember a cheap beer that seemed to hit the market when I was at college in 1983: Meisterbrau. Truly awful. It tasted like what you imagined it would be like if you drank a crappy, cheap beer that someone had put a cigarette out in. Seriously. Had I not just opened it, I would have shined a light down in the can.

It was THAT bad.

Makes me wonder if the hipsters would like that too.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
http://schlitzbrewing.com/

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:
Man, if I could find some Schlitz, I would drink me a bit. In years past, here in Az at least it was a thing. My Mom and Dad drank it, along with a long defunct brand here, known as A-1. A-1 was brewed in Arizona, I drank a goodly amount of it years back as well. I didn't think of Schlitz or A-1 as inferior beer. I wish I had saed some cans, though, lol.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add Mickey's Big Mouth to that list. Absolute garbage and I'm not sure you can even find it anymore.
Remember being 15 and drinking that swill.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I can still get Hamms in Illinois. It is about $12 for a 30 pack. The farmer I hunt with in SD loves it and I just took him a 30 last month.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
If memory serves for Stroh's someone got the idea to pasteurize it. That much heat for beer is very counter productive.

Nearly all mass-produced commercial beer is pasteurized.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well hell, I'm no hipster but still enjoy Miller High Life in glass bottles. Inexpensive crisp basic thirst quenching suds.

As for long ago stuff I recall Utica Club Brewery's "Maxi-Beer" which had a 8.9% alcohol content. Stuff didn't remain on the market all that long. Taste was poor but college kids got blitzed on a 6 pack making it quite popular with them. The backlash over the marketing to the younger set as a cheap drunk was fierce.

Their spokesmen for all things Utica Club were Shultz and Dooley talking beer steins Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I don't consider Schlitz to be the worst beer I've ever had by a long shot. Back in the day I'd favor it over Budweiser, Pabst, Coors, or many other popular brands. On the yuck scale, Schaeffer is pretty high on the list along with Blatz, Mickey's, and so many others.

My dad used to buy the absolutely cheapest brands he could find, mostly grocery store house brands, Kroger, etc. Almost put me off of drinking beer completely, but I managed to power through in the end. When I discovered Stroh's in Ann Arbor in 1968 at 69 cents a six-pack ("major" brands were 20 - 40 cents higher), well my waistline has never been the same since.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
My dad used to buy the absolutely cheapest brands he could find, mostly grocery store house brands, Kroger, etc.

Ah, yes. Grocery store generic beer. It may not be good, but it sure is cheap.

*shudder*

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
^^^^ Add Strohs to that list. Haven’t drank that swill since I turned 21.

There are good reasons to drink bad beer. First and foremost, if you're underage. After that, if its cheap enough.

Back in the day, I had a boat on the river. Really, up on land and we had it put in the water. Others did too, and many of us became good friends. It also was a gathering point for others, criminals, sort of. One guy was runnng with a group of thieves. He and his ilk managed to steal a fully loaded semi full of Stroh's. Not for the contents, they wanted the tractor. They delivered the truck to the buyer, but were sort of stuck with the trailer full of beer.

He made a deal with the harbor owner for a bunch of it. Really as much as they could deliver in a van they had. So we could buy it for $1 a 6 pack. It cut our beer expenses dramatically. You could get loaded for $5 a weekend. Yeah, it was bad, but if kept cold, you didn't notice as much. Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I remember A-1. Not bad if you kept it around 32 degrees F. Any warmer and it smells like piss. I liked it better than Coors. Schlitz was awful. Mickeys were a thing for a short period. Drank a lot of Strohs in college.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post