SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time Warp Involving Beer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time Warp Involving Beer Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70s I had a Labrador retriever that liked beer and he'd steal it from you if you didn't give him some, so I did.

I'd go in the store, get a case of Henry Weinhard's and a case of generic beer and the checkout clerk would give me a funny look.

So finally one day she asked me if the generic beer was for relatives. I told her no, it's for my dog. I don't think she believed me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Perhaps younger beer drinkers are simply growing tired of cat piss smelling IPA's and trendy fruit flavored brews. I would suggest this phenomenon is similar to the current popularity of old school revolvers in a market dominated by striker fired, semi-auto polymers.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
There are good reasons to drink bad beer. First and foremost, if you're underage. After that, if its cheap enough.

Truth.

As a nearly-broke college student, my go-to order for a weekend of parties was two 40s of Mickeys malt liquor and a 12 pack of PBR, which worked out to just under $10 after tax. Like $9.97.

So for a $10 bill, I could get nice and buzzed two nights in a row (each night involving drinking a 40 first and then maintaining with 3-5 PBRs), and have a few extra PBRs to hand out to friends or cute girls.

So cheap beer definitely had its place for me.

But nowadays, I'm exactly the opposite. I'd rather have one really good beer than a larger quantity of subpar beer.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I was a Purdue student, we frequently drank Fall's City which was:
  • $3.99 for a 24-pack of bottles.
  • $1.99 for a 24-pack of cans. We had to really be pinching pennies because the cans were noticeably worse tasting than the bottles.

If we had a little extra money, bought some Busch Light to drink first to soothe the taste buds before the switch to Fall's City.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 83v45magna:
    I remember a cheap beer that seemed to hit the market when I was at college in 1983: Meisterbrau. Truly awful. It tasted like what you imagined it would be like if you drank a crappy, cheap beer that someone had put a cigarette out in. Seriously. Had I not just opened it, I would have shined a light down in the can.

It was THAT bad.

Makes me wonder if the hipsters would like that too.

Oh yeah that brings back some…interesting memories of being in high school in the late 80’s-early 90’s and paying an older guy I worked with in a restaurant to buy us suitcases of that “beer”.

It was cheap, it was awful tasting but it still gave you a good buzz!

When we had extra money we’d get him to spring for the big bucks beer then: Miller Genuine Draft Big Grin

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    Dharma Initiative beer? Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    This stuff always did the trick:

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6guns:
    Dharma Initiative beer? Big Grin

Niceeeee Wink If you're going to do a flash sideways, might as well have a buzz on.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of rtquig
    posted Hide Post
    Iron City. $1.09 for a warm six-pack. I was a kid (1970).

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    Lucky was always a go-to. The bottle caps had little rebus puzzles printed on the inside. It was great on tap as well.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    drop and give me
    20 pushups
    posted Hide Post
    Remember back in the late 60"s here in south Louisiana "jacks", "falstaff" ,and "pearl" are just a couple that I can remember. Am sure there were others out there in the same catagory. ...............y... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    teacher of history
    Picture of maxwayne
    posted Hide Post
    If you had Pearl, you probably had Lonestar also. I was stationed at Fort Sam in 71 and drank both.

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Rolling Rock. I think it was from Pittsburgh. Anything kids could get their hands on.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cynic
    Picture of charlie12
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by drill sgt:
    Remember back in the late 60"s here in south Louisiana "jacks", "falstaff" ,and "pearl" are just a couple that I can remember. Am sure there were others out there in the same catagory. ...............y... drill sgt.

Jax

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The wicked flee when
    no man pursueth
    Picture of KevH
    posted Hide Post
    My Grandpa was a Hamm's man.

After the stage of drinking whatever I could get my hands on or cheap, I tried to be a beer snob.

While I still enjoy a Saison or trappist beer on occasion, I have found that I really prefer a good Lager.

Guess what I drink most of as of late?

Hamm's and Miller Lite.

They're refreshing and cheap.

Don't knock the oldies.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    There was a guy in college who worked for the Bud distributor and sold scratch and dent cases of Bud cans for $5. He was the most popular guy on campus.

The 99 cent store nearby had 40s of Shafer for 99 cents.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    I’m staying about 10 blocks from the old Pearl Brewery in San Antonio. It’s a fern bar and fancy restaurant district now

Pearl was our beer of choice in college. Cheap and cold. We drank a good bit of Pilsner Club in later years. “Club me”

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Captain Morgan
    posted Hide Post
    I remember as a kid, the adults would be drinking Schaffer beer. Of course we would sneak some sips here and there.
    My one one Uncle was a Bud man.
    I get instant headaches from that beer. I think its the rice.
    When I was old enough to drink Miller genuine draft was my choice. I went to many college parties with Olympia beer as the only thing to drink.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
    Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Schmelby:
    Rolling Rock. I think it was from Pittsburgh. Anything kids could get their hands on.

Very close. Latrobe PA (where the Pgh Steelers do their training camp).

Milwaukee's Best -- aka. the Beast Dirt cheap. If we had the money, we'd spring for Busch. $16 a case. It was a lot more, but they were also 16s, so you could enjoy 25% more of a crappy beer. Of course, that 25% was now warm, and thus 100% crappier.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post