SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Kentucky Derby
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Kentucky Derby Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
First up, I am not in anyway associated with the horse racing industry, I’m just a casual observer who has lived in Kentucky (Louisville specifically) my entire life.

It is my observation, this incident/event/whatever you want to call it will have a negative impact upon the Kentucky Derby and everything (Festival, hype, etc.) associated with it. Just as magicians don’t give away the secret of their trick, this has now happened. The “magic” that is (was) the Kentucky Derby has now been exposed to be smoke-and-mirrors, an illusion of honesty and integrity.

The Churchill Downs stewards “took a knee” over this, and the taint will never go away. An appeal to the State Racing Commission is now expected, as it must be filed within 48 hours and the Stewards won’t release video nor hold a news conference until Thursday. Everything following will now overshadow the Preakness and the Belmont.

The Bob Baffert quote above is foretelling of what will now become the norm; and that is sad, as we all need a little “magic” in our life. Frown

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2708 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Horse racing has been through a lot over the years and survived, from tax law changes that wiped out syndicated shares (and a lot of peoples jobs, land and money), doping, like any sport it has its spots..

I grew up working on Thoroughbred Farms, from mucking stalls, mowing paddocks, taking mares to breed, helping with a delivery of a new foal... It's an amazing animal and loved working with them.

Perhaps the 23 horses that died in CA recently, combined with the ludicrous cries for "federal intervention" since all racing commissions are state based board had anything to do with it.
The talking heads of the network put up a big piece on it and called for "Federal Oversight"

Bunch of dumbasses if you ask...

Frankly they should have manned up, the 20 wasn't bothered by anything, the Derby is as
Baffert said, the race where it all hangs out.

Now we have a horse that never had the breeding or record to be a winner, listed as a Derby winner. The $1.8 million winners share is peanuts to a Derby Winning pedigree for a stallion owner, the big bucks come in the stud shares....

It wasn't good for racing, JMO, I feel for the woman that owns the horse that was listed as a winner as much as the owners who worked 41 years to get there and have it stripped.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My noob eyes thought so as well.. it was clear interference but I just don't know whether the horse did that himself or the jockey. I'd wager that it's the jockey.

Posts: 1805 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What does the rule book say?

Would it have been called if it wasn't the Derby?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125177000468144129

This guy says it all.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so where do we look to find out how much money was paid out to betters on country house?

1/2 million ? 2 million? 9 million?

and if the horse you bet on D.Q.'s , do you get your money back?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
so where do we look to find out how much money was paid out to betters on country house?

uKnowable and kno.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12453 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

I did read of one bettor who bought two $4 tickets on Country House and took home $78,000 after tax!

Posts: 1805 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
took home $78,000 after tax!

It was a superfecta pick. Pretty crazy.

link

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12453 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that would make a guys whole week

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54714 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
With both horses out of the Preakness that race will likely have close to a zero tv share, same for the Belmont since there is no chance of a triple crown winner.

Maximum Security ought to run, winning the Preakness and Belmont would back up the horse as a winner on the track even with the DQ however they are going to run in the Haskell at Monmouth a G1 stakes race, most likely a finger to the Derby, The Triple Crown and taking millions in ad revenue down with them for the DQ by not running... The Wests are giving Churchill Downs the finger.

Looks like Maximum Security's owners, after being no change by the KY Racing Commission are exploring going legal.

Lot of money in being the Derby winner, and that's not simply the purse. Stud fees can be massive.

IF you'd like to read the industry leading Bloodhorse articles the link is below.

Bloodhorse Link

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maximum Security ought to run, winning the Preakness and Belmont would back up the horse as a winner on the track even with the DQ however they are going to run in the Haskell at Monmouth a G1 stakes race, most likely a finger to the Derby, The Triple Crown and taking millions in ad revenue down with them for the DQ by not running... The Wests are giving Churchill Downs the finger.

Interesting take, HRK.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How much would Maximum Security's stud fees be impacted? Declared winner or not, he crossed the line first.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
How much would Maximum Security's stud fees be impacted? Declared winner or not, he crossed the line first.

Biggly

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Well, Luis Saez has appealed and released a video that shows Maximum Security was struck 5 times in the legs by War of Will before finally moving out of his lane. War of Will was at fault here, not Maximum Security.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...oUrB2A69W6bwpRq9b2pA

*Fixed embedded video*

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
War of Will was at fault here, not Maximum Security.

Yeah, it appears so. Wow!
Maximum Security was clearly the fastest horse in this race. The video above also seems to show he was "not guilty".

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
So what happens to all of the fans' winnings when this decision gets reversed and Maximum Security is declared the rightful winner?

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
So what happens to all of the fans' winnings when this decision gets reversed and Maximum Security is declared the rightful winner?

Sounds like a nightmare scenario to me

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38008 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I don't have a dog (or horse in this deal.....

That video (from Bama Jeepster) is somewhat deceptive during the crucial time after the clubhouse turn.

Compare how close Maximum Security is to the rail at 2:50 and 3:18. It is clear that MS moved out from the rail and the horses behind were impacted. Should the horses have check up sooner?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
War of Will was at fault here, not Maximum Security.

Yeah, it appears so. Wow!
Maximum Security was clearly the fastest horse in this race. The video above also seems to show he was "not guilty".

I wouldn't conclude that Maximum Securtiy was the fastest horse from watching that video. If that were true, War of Will wouldn't have been able to run right up Maximum Security's backside.

That video has, however, convinced me that Maximum Security did not precipitate the event that it was DQd for.

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't conclude that Maximum Securtiy was the fastest horse from watching that video. If that were true, War of Will wouldn't have been able to run right up Maximum Security's backside.

Maybe... which is why I'd sure like to see both of them run in the Preakness and the Belmont!

-rduckwor