SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Riddle of Coffee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Riddle of Coffee Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
A cup of water has a mass just over 226 grams. But a cup of coffee has a mass approximately 25% less. So where did the extra mass go?

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Is that a cup of cold water?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
coffee is less dense.

Posts: 8178 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
A cup of water has a mass just over 226 grams. But a cup of coffee has a mass approximately 25% less. So where did the extra mass go?

Through your kidneys so fast, its a miracle they had time to even change the color.

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
coffee is less dense.
Coffee is hot, generally speaking...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Easy.

The ground coffee soaked that 25% up.

Posts: 34539 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Caffeine makes the molecules move faster.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
A cup of water is 8 oz. Generally, a 'cup' of coffee is about 6 oz. QED. Roll Eyes

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sacrifice to the Coffee Gods.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
. So where did the extra mass go?

With the certainty of extensive testing over decades, I can certify it goes directly to my bladder. Rapidly. As in....before it can be weighed or volume measured.

A further complexity, is a corollary question:

What is it that makes a given volume of water, expand by 25% when converted into a cup of coffee?

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A cup of water is 8 oz. Generally, a 'cup' of coffee is about 6 oz. QED.

^^^^^^^^^
Except to say that actual "cups" as measured by the various coffee maker manufacturers vary a lot.

A friend of mine and his father were watching me measure out cold water for the coffee maker, evidently they had been pondering this subject for some time. Their question to me was: "As an Engineer can you explain what happens to the water, does it boil off?"

The top of their 10 cup maker was marked off in "cups" which they filled but the resultant brew only filled about four of their mugs. They were putting in ten coffee maker "cups" and trying to fill four 12 oz mugs and hoped to have refills.
Actually the cold water side of their maker only held about 50 oz, and some 4 oz ended up in wet grounds.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
When you die you will go before Crom and he will ask you; what is the riddle of coffee? If you don't know he will cast you out of Valhalla and laugh at you.

That is Crom. Strong on his mountain!

Posts: 1621 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
In our office, it was spilled and left on the counter.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4804 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
coffee is less dense.
Coffee is hot, generally speaking...

So shouldn't all those extra calories make the coffee gain weight? They certainly make me put on the pounds.

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
IIRC an American cup of coffee is considered to be 6 ounces and the European cup 4 ounces.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
When you die you will go before Crom and he will ask you; what is the riddle of coffee? If you don't know he will cast you out of Valhalla and laugh at you.

That is Crom. Strong on his mountain!

I saw the thread title and was going to post a crom joke.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
IIRC an American cup of coffee is considered to be 6 ounces and the European cup 4 ounces.

Europeans are sissies and can't handle a manly, 'merican 6 ounce coffee, much less a coffee Big Gulp.

Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
It's physics, the new dark matter in the coffee has no gravitational effect, therefore counters the water gravitational effect. And that is how it weighs less.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2222 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
What's all this 6oz shit? Coffee is 12oz minimum but preferably 16oz. Smile

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
So where did the extra mass go?

Cold water molecules are closer together.

Hot water molecules are more energetic and farther apart.

Measured equally there is less water in a cup of hot water than a cup of cold water.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post