SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Riddle of Coffee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Riddle of Coffee Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
What's all this 6oz shit? Coffee is 12oz minimum but preferably 16oz. Smile

Think ur talkin bout ventis now...

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, with alcohol that is the case because alcohol has a lower specific gravity (less dense) than water.

A hydrometer works to determine alcohol content by measuring the specific gravity of what you start with (more dense due to sugars), then measure again after the yeast convert sugars into alcohol. The drop in gravity points determines the alcohol level. I have brewing software (I cheat) so I don't know the formulas to calculate it by hand.

I'll control for temperature and measure water and this morning's coffee with my hydrometer. I'll post back after the hot coffee and water sample both equalize at room temp. and I take the readings.

EDIT: at 69 degrees as measured by my Thermapen-water is predictably still at a SG of 1.00 (hydrometer is calibrated to read 1.00 at 59deg, the +10 deg. isn't enough to register.)

The coffee, also measured at 69 degrees, has a SG of 1.02. So, coffee is 2 gravity points denser than water, thus should weigh more at the same temp. with the exact same volume.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
M-11 for the win.

In other news, scientists have discovered that an ounce of silver weighs more than an ounce of feathers.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummm...excuse me. 24oz please.

Posts: 1405 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has something to do with color and privilege, but I haven't been told what yet.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
African or European?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I boil 350ml of water every morning. It's set up now for tomorrow in a acrylic measuring beaker (no, I never leave water in the kettle). And over the grounds in a cup-top cone, I'll get a perfect cup with just a splash left over.

The c.1987 Arcoroc mugs are 10 ounce. I broke one of four in the '90s but the others survive famously.

I found a set of 3 on etsy. Guess someone else also broke one of four.
Vintage Teal Green Jardiniere Arcoroc of France Glassware, Cups, Mugs, Set of 3

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
To me, the mystery of coffee is how anyone can stand the awful, bitter stuff. I remember when I was a little kid, and my parents told me and my sister, "One day, you'll like it!". Well, they lied. Neither one of us wants anything to do with it. Doesn't matter what it's in, it ruins it, kind of like green peppers, they do nothing any good.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A cup is volume, not mass. Oils in the coffee, and other lighter than water properties, displace the water molecules.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14146 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
The answer to the riddle of coffee...

"I'll have another cup".

This is what Crom wants to hear before you sit in the Eternal Great Hall of Warriors... Big Grin

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post