SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prayer Request - My Younger Brother is in the Hospital w/ COVID (Updated 10/9 PM)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prayer Request - My Younger Brother is in the Hospital w/ COVID (Updated 10/9 PM) Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted
I don't know where else to turn right now. Prayers are needed for my younger brother. He was admitted to the hospital in NJ yesterday PM w/ COVID, and though his condition had somewhat improved by late AM today, he seems to not be doing particularly well tonight. He's being treated w/ Remdesivir (and a number of other drugs as well) however they are concerned with the low Oxygen levels in his Blood, which are not improving adequately. They just added another medication to his treatment and he's been told that this is the last step before they would have to intubate. Obviously it's VERY Serious, and I'm VERY Concerned!

He is 3.5 years younger than me to the day, and I don't know anyone that loves life more than him. He takes everything in stride, is always cheerful and will help anyone in need. He's a genuinely good soul and I'm afraid for his well being. If you could find it in your heart to take a few moments to offer prayers for his recovery it would be much appreciated. His name is John, and he could use some divine support right now. Thank you.

Update - 10/3 PM: He's Holding Steady, kinda. His Blood Oxygen levels are being maintained at an acceptable level, but he needs High-Flow Oxygen and must remain prone (on his stomach) in order to achieve those levels. If he gets up from the prone position his oxygen levels plummet from the low 90's into the 70's! He's pretty uncomfortable, and as a result, sleeping, as well as eating, are quite challenging. That said, he tells me 'his job' is to breathe deeply & effectively in order to maximize his Blood Oxygen levels. He literally told me, "That's my only job right now" and he's working at it! As I indicated, he is holding steady and importantly, he remains positive.

For those that asked, John lives in Sussex County NJ, where we grew up. He's the youngest of three brothers, of which I'm the oldest. Also, I've shared a link to this thread with him (and his wife), and told him a lot of good people are praying for him. He is, as we all are, EXTREMELY Grateful for your thoughts and prayers for strength & healing!

Your continued prayers would be much appreciated as he's in for hard fought battle to beat this thing. Thank you again, SIGforum!

Update - 10/4 PM: Babysteps today....Some movement in the right direction! John got to spend some time sitting up today. We weren't able to talk, but communicated via text. He indicated that he was gonna stay off the phone because hasn't been doing so well speaking due to the effect it has on his Oxygen levels. I asked him, how's your Oxygen (flow & pulse-ox levels) today? and he replied "Little better...Low of 85, but if I'm watching I can hit 100." We'll take it! While he was sitting/texting with me, the nurses looked in the room/window, nodded and gave a thumbs up. He had indicated that "sitting was a luxury I will relish if they let me" and having just left the room, they had checked his monitors when they got back to the nurses station gave him to go ahead sit, relax, and listen to some music. Sometimes the simple things can mean a lot when you have a little perspective!

Anyway, I not gonna assume he's out of the woods just yet, but I was incredibly relieved to hear he was up, was able to enjoy a meal in a seated position, simply relax for a bit. Today was better than yesterday, and that's good to hear. If it takes babysteps, then so be it....They're steps in the right direction, and that's what counts!

For those that asked, John will be 53 years old in January. Also, he's in Newton Hospital, not Morristown. Honestly, given the choice, I'd MUCH rather be at Newton. I've had the unwelcome experience of visiting patients at Morristown, and each time, there always seemed to be too many patients, and too few staff/nurses there. I've also heard that they're limiting certain protocols for COVID patients at Morristown, specifically High Flow Oxygen, which obviously makes NO sense whatsoever if the objective is providing the best level of care for COVID patients!

Again, Thank You ALL for your continued prayers!

Short Update - 10/5 PM: Maintaining recent gains. Tried lowering Oxygen flow today, but had to raise it back up, so not there yet. John can eat his meals in a sitting position now (that's definitely good!), but still needs to be prone to in order to maintain good Blood Oxygen levels overall. Stayed off of the phone today as well today, so still limiting communication to texting.

Once again, thank you all for your continued prayers!

Update - 10/6 PM: A day of Improvement! Oxygen flow was reduced THREE times today, and he's maintaining 95% Blood Oxygen consistently now. Blood tests all look good and Blood Pressure was the best recorded numbers in the history of John, at least as far as he can remember! In his words, "Yeah, it's been a GOOD Day!"

Also, something I wasn't aware of, he's been fever free since Monday, which is significant since he had been running a fever since Monday of the previous week.

Sooo, a solid day of Improvement. Apparently, the Nurses were reporting that John's the happiest COVID Patient EVER! Smile

Thank you SIGforum for your continued prayers for strength and healing. We are all EXTREMELY Grateful!

Short Update - 10/7 PM: Steady as she goes. Today was not really an eventful day. Lowered the Oxygen flow another notch and the guidance from the medical staff remains the same...."Stay prone, it's better." That said, the urgency/imperative nature of that directive seems a bit less critical now. In Doctor's speak, it would likely be 'stay prone as tolerated'. Still limiting communication to texting, but hopefully actual phone conversations will resume soon.

Once again, Thank You ALL for your continued prayers!

48hr Update - 10/9 PM: Milestone...NO More High-Flow Oxygen! After lowering the Oxygen flow a number of times yesterday & today, they removed it altogether this evening! Still getting some supplementary O2 via Nasal Cannula, but a BIG milestone today. John has been up & around (can't go very far in the room), and doing some squats/deep knee bends to get the blood flowing and exercise his Cardio-Vascular System. I believe he's feeling a lot more comfortable now, especially w/o the High Flow O2. Things are SO Much quieter & less obtrusive, so hopefully he'll be sleeping a little better as well.

No word on when he might get to check out of 'Hotel Corona' just yet, but he's DEFINITELY making steady progress right direction!

A BIG Thank You to ALL who have been praying for John, and following this thread. You are appreciated more than you can know!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8977 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers inbound. May he get well soon.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for John's recovery and for your strength.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you both!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25458 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for all involved.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 892 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My best wishes for your brother's full and speedy recovery.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Prayers up.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In my prayers.

Posts: 26966 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers Sent.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers out.

Posts: 4069 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I will definitely pray for him.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15260 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I said a prayer for him.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Done.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12802 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done. For your Brother and his family.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent asking for God's healing mercies for your brother.

Posts: 4707 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Nh,
Prayer and holding a good thought for your brother.
This panicdemic is so evil.
Keep looking up for that is where the source of your help lays.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your brother, John, and all concerned.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43927 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry. Prayed for you all.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to him on turning things for the better

Posts: 17905 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post