SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proposed ammunition tax in NYS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed ammunition tax in NYS Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Another reason for me to dislike the idiots that control this state. And I use the word "dislike" with extreme understatement. Mad

Farging iceholes!

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/S8415

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
New Yorkistan... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8954 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Doesn't this come up with some frequency there? Surely this isn't the first such proposed bill.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Doesn't this come up with some frequency there? Surely this isn't the first such proposed bill.

Probably, but I am not certain. This time though the Dems control the state assembly and senate.

-----------------------

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
This time though the Dems control the state assembly and senate.

Again, when haven't they? I'm not that familiar with NY politics. In CA (where I'm from), they have controlled both houses, governor and US senator since the 1990s. Anyway, a proposed bill in one house is far from becoming a law.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Still some taxpayers left in NY, have to work on driving them out too. If they were smart they'd tax the hell out of moving trucks.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Again, when haven't they? I'm not that familiar with NY politics. In CA (where I'm from), they have controlled both houses, governor and US senator since the 1990s. Anyway, a proposed bill in one house is far from becoming a law.

Republicans controlled the Senate from 2011-2018. Agree that it may be far from becoming a law going through traditional means, but with Dems controlling both houses and the governor's seat we are one emergency decree away from making it happen - much the same way our "SAFE Act" was ramrodded through in 2013.

-----------------------

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Horrible idea and I hope it doesnt pass but if it did, whats to stop folks from buying it over the interwebs from out of state?

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
If a poll tax is unconstitutional, then an ammunition tax is too.

Posts: 13302 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Come to WV
We have NO sales tax on guns or ammunition !

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Horrible idea and I hope it doesnt pass but if it did, whats to stop folks from buying it over the interwebs from out of state?

JB

Because ammo sellers won't ship to New York and haven't for years. The NY SAFE Act requires that ammo can only be shipped to a FFL holder or a retail ammo store.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left NY State in 1986 and have not looked back. Bald1 (who grew up about half an hour north of me) left even earlier.

Posts: 15910 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taxes on ammunition sales have been proposed many times over the past couple of decades, both at the federal and state levels. I think BHO proposed something similar.

Transparent attempt to do an end-run around the Second Amendment.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

JB

Because ammo sellers won't ship to New York and haven't for years. The NY SAFE Act requires that ammo can only be shipped to a FFL holder or a retail ammo store.

No. They never put the infrastructure in place to do background checks on ammo purchases. That’s what it was all about. More than a few very good sized companies will ship ammo to your door in NYS (except NYC) including a large company in CT that ships ammo all the time.

Posts: 450 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
No. They never put the infrastructure in place to do background checks on ammo purchases. That’s what it was all about. More than a few very good sized companies will ship ammo to your door in NYS (except NYC) including a large company in CT that ships ammo all the time.

That is correct.

-----------------------

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I buy all of my ammo out of state. I have often thought that the idiots weren't smart enough to go after ammo instead of guns as it isn't protected by 2A. Maybe they are catching up. However there are always ways to circumvent there lunacy. I haven't bought ammo in NY since the passage of the Safe Act.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5914 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t the Fed govt have an excise tax on ammunition? I also seem to remember that TN has a special ammo tax.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
The bill has sponsors right? So now you have a list - a "to-do" list. Put it to use!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4583 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I left(Syracuse) in 1982 and haven't shoveled snow since!

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I left NY State in 1986 and have not looked back. Bald1 (who grew up about half an hour north of me) left even earlier.

Posts: 1980 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the hell took NY so long?

I am saying that in all seriousness - this is something I thought would have surfaced 3 years ago when the Senate flipped back.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post