SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Indulging the wants you had as a child or young adult?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indulging the wants you had as a child or young adult? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I recently turned 56 and I realized that over the last couple of years I have been desiring the things from my high school and early adult years. Anybody else find this to be true? I grew up poor and couldn’t afford some of the things my friends had like stereos and such. It started with the dream stereo of my youth a Pioneer SX-780 and HPM 60 speakers and grew to include a couple of stereos. I bring this up because I have found myself looking at early 80’s SLR 35mm specifically Nikon FM2’s and various moutain bikes. Does any else’s do this?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, one word- Delorean. Even before the movies came out and I saw them, I have wanted one. There used to be a car shop on my way to the job I had back in the 80's that had a few. They even had one painted in red, which wasn't that bad looking. If the right deal comes along, who knows.

Some things I was able to get- an ar-15, an older Corvette-sold it when the kids came along and a few other things I really can't think of right now. If you can afford it, indulge yourself.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I'm the opposite, I now see the senseless of wheels, motors, lift kits, exhaust, radios, speakers. ....
But I did buy a guitar, that was something from my younger days ...
I just don't have many wants anymore.
I spend my money on ammo for shooting competitions.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yes. As soon as I graduated law school and started working, I outfitted myself with pretty much every shiny toy you could buy at REI.

I did a ton of camping as a Scout and lusted after nice camping gear when I was young and couldn't afford it. I still indulge myself with some new camping gear from time to time just because I can.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Only about ten million others And a few hundred million before us. I think it's natural to acquire those things that interested us when we were younger and couldn't afford them.

Look at the insane interest in Harleys 20 years or so back. 60's Musclecars are still popular.

I did it 20 years back by buying the .22's I lusted after as a kid; Winchester model 61's and Marlin 39 Mounties. Unattainable when I was 10 or 12 , but affordable when You're 40 or 50 years old.

Interested in older Nikons? Go to the Ken Rockwell site, to the Nikon pages, current Nikon models, then go BACK. Reviews and lens compatibility, etc on many of the older bodies and lenses.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Yes. What are we waiting for, our old age?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I am glad i am not alone I this. Just those couple of things that my buddies and I listed after or others had that I knew I could never get at that point in my life. I was contributing to the rent when I was 15/16 so just having some of the things that were popular were mostly out of reach.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have been watching eBay for a FM2 but haven’t found one that went at a price I was willing to pay. I did pick up a Ithaca Model 37 featherweight in really good shape. It was the first gun I bought after I started working. I sold it after getting married when I needed money.

YAT-YAS

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
1972 was my great accomplishment year. That year I bought my first real tool chest, a Craftsman ten drawer upper. Still have it today. At that time I felt that "I had arrived".

1975 I bought my first gun. Everything to that point were inherited or hand me downs. I bought a Winchester 190. Still have it.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I too grew up in a family with very little discretionary spending. When I started to make decent money, I bought my parents things they wouldn't dare buy, that made me happy. But later on to indulge my youth, other than normal adult possessions, I too purchased old Nikon stuff to just have. I still have an F Photomic and some lenses. I also started to collect bicycles, since I never was able to afford a brand new one as a kid. When I bought a skateboard for my son, I also bought a few for me, even though I can't ride like I used to; when I was really into skating, I could never buy exactly what I wanted. But I'm done with buying for my youth, it is the adult stuff that is expensive Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
In my late 20s I learned to ski, and in my early 30s I bought a motorcycle. Which were things I could never afford, either as a kid or young adult. Now, as an adult with kids, once again I no longer have the time or money for either of them.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Ed, it's not a Nikon, but I have a Canon AE-1 that you can have if you want it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38592 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MP5SD.

Posts: 363 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the '70's and '80's, I have enjoyed buying some cool retro toys for my two sons as they have grown up. Yes, for my sons......that's my story and I am sticking to it Wink

Just one example:

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Great - now I have to go on a search for my replacement Nishiki bike from the 70's

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
I now see the senseless of wheels, motors, lift kits , exhaust, radios, speakers. ....

Yup.

Grew up wanting a house. Had my blinders on the whole time and kept focusing on that. Missed out on a lot of meaningless junk that would have filled a Goodwill store.

Now it seems like I am getting all the neat stuff you mentioned. Wink

Posts: 9109 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have the money to buy the items for cash and not pinch your other regular monthly payments ? As long as Your not going into debt to buy a toy, I say BUY IT. Life is short man. Nobody is gonna be on their deathbed saying they wished they spent more time at the office.

My dad never took me shooting until I was 18 or so and buying my own guns and I was asking him to go even though he had several guns he just never shot. I learned to shoot at Boy Scout camp. I vowed I’d never do that with my own kids. So I make the time to take my kids shooting. My son is 10 and loves to shoot. We go about 1x a month to a local range and on occasion to a friends private land. I get more enjoyment now out of teaching him and watching him shoot as well as standing over him so he stays safe. I still buy guns to add to my collection though.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The one big thing for me from high school to adulthood was a Questar telescope. Their marketing was great.
Finally last year decided to make the plunge, found a used one for a mere $2500--half the new price and 2.5 times the price new when I was young. And it's virtually identical from those days (designed 1954).

Posts: 18011 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Ed, it's not a Nikon, but I have a Canon AE-1 that you can have if you want it.

Carl that would be awesome that was the other camera I dreamt of!

YAT-YAS

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I recently turned 56 and I realized that over the last couple of years I have been desiring the things from my high school and early adult years. Anybody else find this to be true? I grew up poor and couldn’t afford some of the things my friends had like stereos and such. It started with the dream stereo of my youth a Pioneer SX-780 and HPM 60 speakers and grew to include a couple of stereos. I bring this up because I have found myself looking at early 80’s SLR 35mm specifically Nikon FM2’s and various moutain bikes. Does any else’s do this?

Yea. Her name was Joyce.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3806 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post