SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Indulging the wants you had as a child or young adult?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indulging the wants you had as a child or young adult? Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Not really for me, but for my boys.

I bought them season passes to Loveland ski area this year and they have been taking snowboarding lessons. I started in 4th or 5th grade. My boys are in 1st and 2nd grade.

We also had a boat when I was very young and my father sold it before I learned how to waterski. I bought a used 1998 inboard wakeboarding boat this past labor day (Moomba Mobius). I picked up a wakebaord for my boys for Christmas and will teach them when the warm weather rolls around.

I also bought them pellet rifles last year for Christmas. My mom never allowed me to have a pellet or BB gun.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Ed, it's not a Nikon, but I have a Canon AE-1 that you can have if you want it.

Carl that would be awesome that was the other camera I dreamt of!

Sure thing, Ed. I'd like to see it get used. We'll arrange a time and place to meet.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant say I wanted a whole of stuff from my teenage years. I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Ended up frozen to the Christmas tree as the BUFFs taxied by me.
No real regrets.
I do wish I could find my first real gun I had as a teenager for what it cost my old man:
Colt Commander 9mm. $125.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I wanted a cabinet video arcade in the 80's.
So I made me one.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
As a kid growing up in New Jersey in the 70s and 80s we had dirt bikes.
The area we rode was broken up in to the people riding motorcycles side and the people shooting guns side. I was safe no one ever crossed paths.
We would let some of the shooters ride our motorcycles if they would let us shoot their guns. It worked out well for everyone.
The one thing I always wanted was an AR15 rifle and living in New Jersey they were hard to find.
When I moved to Florida in 1999 I did not realize how gun friendly it was for several years and finally bought my first AR in 2008 when I was 43.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I recently called Linda Carter to see if she would indulge me in some of the wants I had when I saw her in "Wonder Woman" in the '70s.

She wanted to know how I got her number and kept yelling something about a restraining order.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a little boy I wanted guns that would shoot real bullets.

Oh! Look...!

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I wanted a cabinet video arcade in the 80's.
So I made me one.

Cool!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my youth’s desires have been tempered by the realization that I work too hard for my money to piss it away.

I remember being about 10 years old and I couldn’t wait to Get my license so I could cross the border to Indiana and buy all the fireworks we couldn’t get in KY. I got my license and never had the money to spend. It was hard enough to scrape enough money together to get to school each day

I also really, really wanted a jet ski. I asked my dad monthly for one until I moved out of his house. I still toy with the idea, but it doesn’t excite me. It would just be easier to get across the lake than using the boat.

I did buy my dream boat (Malibu waksetterVLX) a few years ago, but I almost talked myself out of it. My wife got sick of me looking and always moaning about the cost. When the right one came along, she told me to buy the damn boat already.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
quote:
Ed, it's not a Nikon, but I have a Canon AE-1 that you can have if you want it.

Carl that would be awesome that was the other camera I dreamt of!

Sure thing, Ed. I'd like to see it get used. We'll arrange a time and place to meet.

You still have my contact info? Email me I think I lost your number a few years ago.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
When my age was still in single digits the canned cake frosting came out. My mother was frosting a cake and gave me a meager spoonful and not the frosting left in the can saying something along the line that it would give me worms.

I promised myself that when I grew up and got a job that I was going to buy a can of frosting and eat the whole thing!

I've yet to do it.

CW

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
About the only interest I had as a child/young adult that I eventually satisfied was to ride a motorcycle. At age 35 (yep) I bought my first one, a Honda 350 twin. Some years later I upgraded to a Yamaha 650 vertical twin, and in 1984 I traded that in for a Harley-Davidson Sportster. I loved that bike! But in 1989 I had a bad accident (car crashed into me) and I had to give up riding. I'd been interested in motorcycles (Harleys, especially) as a young man, but I was inhibited by the "Biker" image and the fact that (as far as I knew) no one in my family had ever had a motorcycle and they frowned on them.

My dad and uncles were all hunters but I did not want to kill anything so I never participated. After joining USAF I found reasons to enjoy shooting pistols and I have a large number of them now. Since I didn't crave guns as a youth, my interest in them now doesn't count for the OP, but it exists.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I bought some nice things as a teen and into my early college years. After 7 years of college I had to sell practically all of them. I've bought most of them again. I still do not have my 1970 Chevelle that I built out of boxes in high school but had to sell. Maybe one day, but damn they increased in value by ridiculous amounts.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I dreamed of those Outdoor Life magazine covers, white canvas tents glowing from lantern light, campfire with fresh game cooking, mountain background.

It was simply out of the question for a long time. A once in a lifetime experience I've been able to repeat many times now.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago for Christmas I bought myself an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle... does that count?

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I recently called Linda Carter to see if she would indulge me in some of the wants I had when I saw her in "Wonder Woman" in the '70s.

She wanted to know how I got her number and kept yelling something about a restraining order.
You might have had better luck if you hadn't misspelled her name. Razz

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

You might have had better luck if you hadn't misspelled her name. Razz

He said he called her. He didn't send a letter.

One of my best friends had a girlfriend who had a similar body and long dark hair like Lynda. It was amazing to see people stare and react to her when I was out with them. She was a bit cray cray. To get her to move out of his apartment, he called the police on her, when she was talking to them outside, he went inside and locked her out.

If I had a girlfriend that looked close to like Lynda, I'd spend thousands on an authentic WW costume.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
One thing I always wanted was a set of mag wheels for my cars. Always got used and abused ones, never a new set.

Finally in 2010 I bought a new in the box set. They are on my 67 Pontiac, photo of it is in the Gallery Thread under "American Muscle".

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school (1971) I worked my butt off to pay for my '67 Mustang hardtop, which I loved, but my two best friends had '65 and '66 Mustang convertibles. I was envious.

Last year, at age 64, I bought a 2017 Mustang Convertible.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
A couple of years ago for Christmas I bought myself an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle... does that count?

You'll shoot your eye out.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post