SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Ancestry.com harmless fun or Big Brother?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Ancestry.com harmless fun or Big Brother? Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'll do it when Elisabeth Warren does it. I promise.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mom has recently become interested in genealogy ...

Old fashioned and low tech, but find a Mormon church and ask for help.

Posts: 28693 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Submit my DNA so they sell it to the highest bidder....Nope. You gotta know that their is some evil bastage behind the DNA collection scam. I'm with the BOSS on this, nuttin good comin of this in the future...robots with your DNA....eliminate your white honky ass for having too much Jewish blood...or God forbid because your DNA leans to conservative causes...Nope, just no. Big Grin

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I'm not as worried about the government getting the DNA as I am insurance companies. You know they will at some point start to salivate over all that DNA and disease rate info. And you have zero say in how that info is used, sold, etc.

Insuramce companies are already using the "breast cancer" gene to reduce ratings if they are in your medical records.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kids were going to buy a test from 23 @ me for Fathers Day. They know my obsession with privacy so they came prepared. Ancestry.com apparantly requires your name, etc. Only way for them to track your ancestors.

23 & me is strictly anonymous. Have your results sent to a po box rented by your buddy from the bar, and no one will be able to track you. They may have your dna, but it is worthless without contact info.

I still didnt do it...

Posts: 619 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Now is not the time in my life when I need a paternity suit. Ill never take part in that, nothing to gain and way too much to loose.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Now is not the time in my life when I need a paternity suit.
Shit, I never thought about that. {peeks out through blinds}

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Now is not the time in my life when I need a paternity suit.
Shit, I never thought about that. {peeks out through blinds}

Not all of my boys are accounted for Para...

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
They know my obsession with privacy so they came prepared.

If your's is anything like mine, it's about three levels below mine. Not a chance in hell I'd do it.

I am fascinated by history, and would love to be able know things that only DNA could show about my family, but no way no how would I give any of these companies my genes nowadays. It just ain't gonna happen unless and until there are iron-clad rules/laws protecting that information...which will never happen.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
They know my obsession with privacy so they came prepared.

If your's is anything like mine, it's about three levels below mine. Not a chance in hell I'd do it.

I am fascinated by history, and would love to be able know things that only DNA could show about my family, but no way no how would I give any of these companies my genes nowadays. It just ain't gonna happen unless and until there are iron-clad rules/laws protecting that information...which will never happen.
It really doesn't matter whether or not you send DNA samples to one of these companies. Every doctor is now getting DNA analyses of your blood to assist in prescribing medications for genetically-related ailments, and the potential for that information to be leaked is probably as good as from one of the genealogy sites. Not only that, if your brother or father has submitted DNA it's almost as good as if you did it--it's even more revealing if more than one sibling/parent has done so.

I believe it's a fool's errand to imply that this information will remain unknown.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Every doctor is now getting DNA analyses of your blood to assist in prescribing medications for genetically-related ailments...

No...they're not. But even if they were, I get around that by ordering my own routine labs.

quote:
I believe it's a fool's errand to imply that this information will remain unknown.

In perpetuity? I think that you are correct. But I'll resist until I'm in the ground.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Hmmmmm.....now you’ve got me thinking

I don’t think I’ve ever had a DNA analysis done from a blood draw at the clinic, but Cologuard does at least a partial.

How about that “nicotine cheek swab” they do for life insurance, or the blood for that?

Mine’s probably already out there.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Never would I give my DNA. One day it could come back to bite you in the ass. I know enough about my ancestry from asking questions to my parents and grandparents when they were around. I'm not worried that I have done something and they might find me, I'm worried that our government would miss use it.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No, it's not harmless, and I will never volunteer my DNA to any of these places. None of us know what the future holds and how this data will be used.

In my opinion, it's foolishness to even consider it.

I am with Para on this one!

Always plan for a future wherein the gubmint oversteps its authority because the chances are very good you'll be correct.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10864 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
EX: Billy has 25% Irish. Billy's brother has 33% Irish.

Easy to explain Billy looks like the postman.
Or, their analysis isn't very good to start with.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Nyet. No way I'll voluntarily give anyone my DNA for analysis.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Good timing for this article:

A number of major genomic testing companies have agreed to a new set of guidelines on the sharing of DNA with law enforcement and other third parties.

Under new rules set about by various companies including 23andMe, Ancestry, Habit, Helix, and MyHeritage, and published by The Future of Privacy Forum, such businesses must obtain separate consent from customers before sharing “individual-level information” with organizations such as law enforcement and research companies.

The guidelines, which seek to advance “responsible data practices in support of emerging technologies,” that involves the obtaining “express consent for the collection, analysis, sharing, or reporting of Genetic Data,” and providing “clear and complete information regarding the Company’s policies and procedures for the management of personal data.”

“Companies should provide a public report describing requests from law enforcement for Genetic Data,” the guidelines continue. “Such reports should be made on at least an annual basis.”

The question of DNA sharing came to a head in April after the arrest of 72-year-old Joseph DeAngelo, 72, who was charged with serial of murders that led to the name “Golden State Killer.” He was arrested after crime scene DNA matched that of a relative who previously sent his DNA to the analysis firm GEDmatch, raising privacy concerns about how such companies handle people’s personal data.

“I don’t think the average consumer has wrapped their head around the range of issues they should think about when they make a decision to share [DNA] data,” The Future of Privacy Forum CEO Jules Polonetsky told the Washington Post.

Meanwhile, Ancestry’s chief privacy officer, Eric Heath, told Gizmodo in a statement that “protecting customers’ privacy is the company’s “highest priority.”

“We understand the sensitive nature of the information our industry handles and our responsibility as stewards,” Heath said. “Ancestry looks forward to seeing these Best Practices broadly adopted across the industry.”

https://www.breitbart.com/tech...third-party-sharing/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I turn 65 in a couple months and for the past 6 months have been getting slammed with junk mail and calls - about Medicare plans, life insurance, long-term care insurance, annuities, financial management, etc.

I highly doubt that they all got my info from Ancestry and 23 & Me. Smile

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
This is from January 2015:

Surprise! With $60 Million Genentech Deal, 23andMe Has A Business Plan

According to sources close to the deal, 23andMe is receiving an upfront payment from Genentech of $10 million, with further milestones of as much as $50 million. The deal is the first of ten 23andMe says it has signed with large pharmaceutical and biotech companies.

Such deals, which make use of the database created by customers who have bought 23andMe’s DNA test kits and donated their genetic and health data for research, could be a far more significant opportunity than 23andMe’s primary business of selling the DNA kits to consumers. Since it was founded in 2006, 23andMe has collected data from 800,000 customers and it sells its tests for $99 each. That means this single deal with one large drug company could generate almost as much revenue as doubling 23andMe’s customer base.

Linky
- - - -

Just heard today that GlaxcoSmithKline is going to throw a lot of $$$$ their way. Same deal, drug research.
I trust Big Pharma like I trust insurance companies.

And people PAID 23 & Me to run the test and made it available to be put out there! No freaking way.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Never in a million years. No way.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post