SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Ancestry.com harmless fun or Big Brother?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Ancestry.com harmless fun or Big Brother? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have seen a report that suggests these tests are not what WE think they are. First, different companies get different results. Second, your DNA is compared to modern day known groups, not the Italians or Irish of hundreds of years ago. In fact, you are compared to the other people who previously bought the test Very few middle eastern people buy these things and so you won't get that result. The English in the US participate in great numbers, that becomes a higher percentage in your result. People living in England now don't participate very much. Consider this a TOY.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
I have seen a report that suggests these tests are not what WE think they are. First, different companies get different results. Second, your DNA is compared to modern day known groups, not the Italians or Irish of hundreds of years ago. In fact, you are compared to the other people who previously bought the test Very few middle eastern people buy these things and so you won't get that result. The English in the US participate in great numbers, that becomes a higher percentage in your result. People living in England now don't participate very much. Consider this a TOY.

Can you site the source of the report?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.insideedition.com/...triplets-to-find-out

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-te...nd-probab-1820932637

I actually saw a TV news report, perhaps 60 Minutes or a copy, however, these two articles incorporate what I learned.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thanks for the follow up.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Prior to the 2012 election I went to a dinner at a small restaurant hosted by then candidate Sean Reyes, who is now Utah's Attorney General. He spent about a half hour talking about MLMs in Utah, and how Utah is consistently one of the top 5 or so states in the nation for affinity financial fraud. This extends to a lot of other things, too.

I've seen people sell special nano water, essential oils, and many other things. Lots and lots of money is made from this.

No disrespect intended to 4x5, darthfuster, and any other member here who live in Utah County, but most of the schemes seem to originate there. I am especially wary of anyone who attempts to monetize genealogy research.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
"We'd like to take a sample so we can eliminate you from our inquiries."

Sorry, no.

Hell, I'm in my 7th decade and have avoided even being fingerprinted so far.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3635 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
But hey, I can guarantee you that some members here will laugh off my warning.

I think what you said is spot on.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'll never be voluntarily sending them any samples.

I have to wonder, though - all these medical lab testing facilities have your blood samples and the (your) identifying information. Is there any law that stops them from selling the samples/information to these companies to pump up their bottom lines?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

I have to wonder, though - all these medical lab testing facilities have your blood samples and the (your) identifying information. Is there any law that stops them from selling the samples/information to these companies to pump up their bottom lines?

HIPAA

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

HIPAA
Maybe. There's usually a clause in there that gives your implied consent for them to distribute data 'as necessary'.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:Maybe. There's usually a clause in there that gives your implied consent for them to distribute data 'as necessary'.

Not unless the patient specifically consents or there is benefit to them (consulting provider, insurance benefit, etc.). Selling to a drug company wouldn't cut it.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post