SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Ancestry.com harmless fun or Big Brother?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Ancestry.com harmless fun or Big Brother? Login/Join 
posted
My mom has recently become interested in genealogy and submitted a sample. No major surprises, just a few minor twists to the family history. She'd like me to submit a sample so that my dad's side of the family tree could be built (he's dead).

I've had some reservations about the fact that this database is being built in the first place, but I guess there are plenty of other ways for The Man to track us.

What do you think?

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay to help Big Brother track us? NO! but maybe I am over the top. Also, no Facebook, Lexia, Twitter....

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you are a serial killer who has avoided capture for many years I suggest that little harm can come from participating now since your profile is partially built. Yes it is an invasion of privacy but your Mom has already done it.

My Niece did it for our family and while I would have avoided it myself it is too late for me as well.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my wife and I did the Ancestry kit a year ago,

only surprise was she is not as Irish as her family told her (mostly Central European)

and so far, no black helicopters,
doors not kicked in,

or (to our knowledge) experiments conducted on us while we sleep,,,

Big Grin

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless you are a serial killer who has avoided capture for many years I suggest that little harm can come from participating

+1
Do it & enjoy it. Find the cousins your Grandpa did not admit to knowing the mother!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4344 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Close relative sent sample 4 years ago. Recently a distant cousin sent inquiring email. They had never met.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I've done 23 and me and think it's cool. Am I worried about something? Not sure.

My wife wont do it. Because she doesn't want to learn about diseases she might be susceptible to.

On a side note, I learned that siblings can have different percentages of ethnicities within their DNA.

EX: Billy has 25% Irish. Billy's brother has 33% Irish.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We have long given third parties information which the government could obtain through subpoena. Credit card accounts are perhaps the most striking example.

Ancestry.com is just another example of what has always been happening.

So, if you are curious, go for it. Unless you plan to be a serial killer, the government doesn't want your DNA, and the information will sit unremarked in Ancestry.com's database.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Go for it. My wife is really into genealogy and is her test a few years back. This year she finally convinced me to do one as well. The results were interesting. Had some surprises in the break out that were not indicated at all by my existing knowledge of my family history. Also found I have a 2nd cousin via a grand uncle that was born out of wedlock and put up for adoption. No one in my current family knew he existed.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2430 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm not as worried about the government getting the DNA as I am insurance companies. You know they will at some point start to salivate over all that DNA and disease rate info. And you have zero say in how that info is used, sold, etc.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
EX: Billy has 25% Irish. Billy's brother has 33% Irish.

Easy to explain Billy looks like the postman.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing about modern information technology: No matter how much the company claims their databases are secure and only used for good purposes, that only remains true until the first time they are hacked or have just one disgruntled employee who leaks or steals the info.

Then, it is forever "public domain", and who knows how it can be used ?

Take that into consideration.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Family history research is awesome. There is a tendency, however, for some people to take it to extremes and gather information about others they do not need. That gets invasive and creepy.

Based on the experience of a relative who had one of these tests done and was later contacted by a number of nut cases from around the world, I will not be doing this.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've done it (FTDNA, not ancestry) and have little concern. Have found some distant relatives (4th, 5th, and 6th cousins) I'd not known about (still many I don't). Have had a family tree for more than a decade. The only concern I have is that the tree reveals my mother's maiden name, so I don't use that as one of my security questions for anything (it's a common alternative).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Ever since my personal data was compromised by the Chinese, along with 23 million others with clearances, I have little need to believe I have secrets.

Or, as a friend of mine once said, "I have secrets known only by God and my polygrapher!"

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, it's not harmless, and I will never volunteer my DNA to any of these places. None of us know what the future holds and how this data will be used.

In my opinion, it's foolishness to even consider it.

But hey, I can guarantee you that some members here will laugh off my warning.

You know, 'cause they can predict the future and know that their genetic information will never be used in any nefarious or unethical way, never be comandeered by the government. They know these things, you see. Know them to an absolute certainty. Must be nice to be able to see the future like that. Makes you wonder why they're not filthy rich, huh?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
big brother

wouldn't go near them for all the gold at Fort Knox

they want my DNA, they can get it after I die

Ancesttry is a broker of information

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I did the ancestry.com thing but not the DNA sample. I am not sending my DNA to anyone.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly confident that DNA analysis will lead to negative consequences for many individuals at some point. We talk about the pre-existing conditions being used to determine eligibility or premiums for health insurance. When does "you had a heart attack" become "you have high cholesterol and may be at risk" and then "you have a familial marker (at birth) for hyperlipidemia and are uninsurable"?

Whether these things will occur in my lifetime or if genealogy websites will be the source is debatable, but it will happen. Researchers in a clinical study might pick out the corners of the puzzle pieces, but a huge database like this fills in the center. When these companies add a simple little box to fill in if you happen to know the cause of a person's death, another set of links can be formed.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
In spite of how harmless and beneficial things begin, I try to imagine what would happen if the program were corrupted. In this world knowledge is power. The less others have knowledge of me the better. I'll do my genealogy the old fashioned way.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post