SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you smoke tobacco products? Did you ever, or have you never? Let's talk about smoking And A Poll!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you smoke tobacco products? Did you ever, or have you never? Let's talk about smoking And A Poll! Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I smoke cigars, typically habano or maduro.

Probably average one a day.

When I'm in the field, especially when I was at JRTC, I was up to 3-4 a day. Even smoked a cigar for breakfast.

However, I will not smoke in uniform in front of children. I think it gives them the wrong impression of the military.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
Started in my teens, smoked 35 years was at 3 packs a day. Quit cold 21 year ago. Only way I will start again is if I'm told I have lung cancer. Then i'll go buy a carton and a case of irish whiskey. Quit drinking 35 years ago.

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I loved my paternal grandfather; he was my hero when I was little but he was also a two pack-a-day smoker. He died of cancer when I was 12, but I was fortunate that I got to spend part of every day (that he wasn’t in the hospital) of the last four years of his life with him. I hated what cigarettes and his inability to stop did to him.

I’ve never smoked a single cigarette, cigar, etc.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked for a cigarette when I was maybe 4 or 5. Dad gave me the one he was smoking and told me what to do. I never had the urge to smoke again. The same lesson didn’t work with booze.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I smoked from the 6th grade till I was 22. In the last years I always had to have something with the cigarette to help the tame foul taste of the cigarettes. I always had a pack of lifesavers in my pocket for when I had a cigarette. One morning I looked in the mirror of a poorly lit bathroom and my mouth looked black and I thought I had cancer. That was it. I carried a pack of cigarettes with me for a week after that and only smoked a half of one in that time and that was it. Never touched another cigarette again. That was January 19, 1971. Filthy habit.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
No one else's business what I do. If you don't like it all you need to do is leave me alone (please, it won't bother me at all).

This thread is so far devoid of anyone bagging on smokers. Let's not take the thread there, please. We all make our choices.

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
never smoked a thing

Good man, you saved a fortune.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
However, I will not smoke in uniform in front of children. I think it gives them the wrong impression of the military.

I like that.

quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
I loved my paternal grandfather; he was my hero when I was little but he was also a two pack-a-day smoker. He died of cancer when I was 12...

Mine died of lung cancer when I was 13. He smoked a pipe from the time he got out of the Navy in 1946 (Lucky Strikes before that) until the day he died in 1998. I'm dense.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Good man, you saved a fortune.

Cigarettes were still 25 cents a pack when I quit. I can’t believe people can afford to keep smoking at the cost of cigarettes today.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents were both heavy smokers and it turned me off to smoking permanently.
I lost my mother to emphysema. And I lost a woman I cared about deeply to cancer. She was a smoker who despite multiple attempts to quit, just couldn't.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't do the poll but I have smoked for 39 years. I know I should quit especially after seeing what it's doing to my father.
I did quit years ago after taking Chantix but that medicine fucked me up so I stopped taking it. Started smoking again right after.
Nasty and expensive habit. 75 cents a pack when I started and now $7 and some change.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I started smoking in middle school, small town with nothing to do but steal cigarettes from your parents and "act cool". Smoked a pack a week to high school.

Quit while in boot camp, said I'd give it up for good to only start right back up after the first field op.

Smoked 1/2 pack a day after getting out for another 12 years. Wanted to quit, tried a few times without success.

Got hit with a bad flu, bedridden for 4 days. Lit up that 5th day and realized how nasty it tasted/smelled. Gave it up then.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Started filching cigarettes around 12 or so.

Don't know when I started inhaling, probably by the time I was in High School.

Got up to somewhere between 1 and 2 packs a day after I graduated and could smoke whenever I wanted.

Quit in June of 1977, I was 26. Cold turkey. Saw some pictures of cancerous lungs and it scared the hell out of me. Haven't touched a cigarette in 45 years.

Did smoke (without inhaling) one cigar with my Grandson when he graduated from the Parris Island School for Wayward Boys. Liked the smell, didn't care for the taste or the tingling lips and tongue. No urge whatever to restart.

As others have said, took a little longer to accept that booze and I were not a good match. I'd still dearly love to suck down a cold beer on a hot day, but I know better.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I smoked maybe two cigarettes when I was a teenager. I failed to see the “draw”. (Pun intended)

Years ago I would smoke maybe two mediocre cigars a year. But there was a ritual surrounding it.
On one of the first really cool nights of late fall, or one of the last really cool nights in spring, I would put on my carhartt chore coat and my “ranch hat”; an old felt cowboy hat that has lots of miles on it. I would go off into the back pasture, build a little fire, and smoke my mediocre cigar and sip on about three fingers of mediocre whiskey. It was a nice little “reset” for me.

I quit all that when the pulmonary sarcoidosis hit and I couldn’t run anymore.

I have always felt that nicotine is highly addictive and I just didn’t want something to have that much control over me. Plus the expense.
My caffeine habit is bad enough. Smile

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I replied "I used to smoke" which is not quite accurate, as I will still have a cigar at a football game, or for a celebration, but nothing regular.

I answered all of the above, because, yes, at various times, including one summer that involved a lot of clove. My favorites were hand rolled Galois and Drum, or Camel unfiltered. I started in high school.

I answered "Something else" as I never became addicted, and decided that smoking was bad for my health, so I stopped after I got out of the Army in 1996.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit at the age of 40, 22 years ago. I put the patch on my arm and had the
most vivid dreams. Took the patch off and went cold turkey, after one day.
I used to get four or five colds every year that would last ten days.
Since I quit I might get one cold every two or three years that last a
couple days. My father served in World war two, a pack of smokes were a nickel.
I stand in line at a gas station and watch people spend more than six dollars
for a pack. Quit if you can!!

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I smoked two packs a day for about 30 years. The day I saw that Obama was pushing to raise the tax to a dollar a pack, was the last day I smoked. Quit cold turkey, my motivation was not giving the government another penny I don’t have to

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I never smoked a day in my life and still do not understand the concept of sucking in poisonous smoke into the organs that you need to breathe oxygen with?

I did try chewing tobacco once in my senior year of high school, and got so violently ill and ended up puking my guts out, I guess that was a good thing, because that never happened either.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Tried a cigarette or two in my early teens, just to see what it was all about (my parents were both heavy smokers, and it pervaded the house). Didn't like it, never got hooked. In my late teens and 20's I participated when my friends rolled up the pot, didn't like that too much either, never sought it out. Pretty much stuck with booze for my mind bender since then, but in the past few years that has lost much of its appeal too.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started smoking when I was a freshman in college and cigarettes where 25 cents a pack (for those younger folks that was 1966). Twenty-five years ago my daughter told us she was expecting our 2nd grand-child, I decided it was time for me to quit if I was going to live to enjoy my grandchildren, so on Christmas Eve 1997 I gave myself a Christmas gift and smoked my last cigarette and went to bed. Put on a patch the next morning and haven't had a cigarette since. My #2 grandson will be 25 on 6/10/23.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I thank my grandpa for leaving out his Chesterfields so I could chain smoke five in a pasture when I was 13. Got sicker then a dog never smoked since.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started smoking at 13 because it was cool. Quit at 50 but went right to chewing tobacco and then to Skoal.Haven't been without nicotine for 64 years. Not happy about it, it's just the way it is.

Posts: 69 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post