SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you smoke tobacco products? Did you ever, or have you never? Let's talk about smoking And A Poll!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you smoke tobacco products? Did you ever, or have you never? Let's talk about smoking And A Poll! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
As you might guess, I smoke pipes. A couple of favorite tobaccos:

Tordenskjold Virginia Slices (Dan Tobacco)
Aged Burley Flake (Solani)

Pipe smoker too. Prefer Va/Pers; Luxury Bullseye Flake and Escudo to name two that I cellar. Can’t tolerate aromatics or Latakia (the anti-aro Big Grin)

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I began smoking Lucky Strike's in high school. about 1955. Cigarettes were 10 cents a pack in Korea 1958. Korean cigarettes were 3 cents a pack but were brutal.

Years later, around 1973, a coworker with a dry cough, died of a heart attack one day, it was pointed out that I had the same cough, so I quit smoking that same day.

A few years later, I took up pipe smoking, but gave it up.

I still have the Peterson pipes in storage.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

Pipe smoker too. Prefer Va/Pers; Luxury Bullseye Flake and Escudo to name two that I cellar. Can’t tolerate aromatics or Latakia (the anti-aro Big Grin)

I like Escudo, and generally prefer Virginia-based blends.

But I like the English mixtures and Latakia, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I had smoked once, but that was a wiring harness from Lucas Electric.

Posts: 9109 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The poll was a bit too limited.

It wasn't meant to be scientific or anything like comprehensive. It was just to kick off some discussion.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I tried a cigarette once around mid-high school. Almost died. Never again.

But I’d like to try cigars. I just have no idea how to go about it without getting suckered into trying things just based on price. I’d probably need a knowledgeable friend to guide me. Problem is that I don’t really have many friends and none that smoke.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I smoked cloves when I drank on the weekends my Junior and Senior of college.
Djarum Blacks specifically they made the crappy beer we could afford kind of taste decent, plus that little crackle when you smoked was enjoyable.

I moved away and quit drinking shortly after I graduated and did not really have a need for the cloves.

Oddly enough I was talking with someone about smoking and drinking a few months back and got a little craving for a clove cigarette and was told that they are now illegal and aren’t sold in the states.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25352 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I smoked cigs for a long time with various periods of quitting. June 2015 I quit my natrual American Spirit and immediately found my old pipes and some years old pipe tobacco. Since then I only smoke a pipe (no inhaling). Lately as a retiree I do chain smoke my pipes. Prior to Nat American spirit I smoked Marlboro or I rolled Bugler or another brand. Smoking some McClelland Coyote Classic in a Peterson pipe as I type this.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Oddly enough I was talking with someone about smoking and drinking a few months back and got a little craving for a clove cigarette and was told that they are now illegal and aren’t sold in the states.

Clove “cigarettes” have been banned. Happened back during the Obummer regime. It was a big deal where I worked at Harbor Wholesale because it changed a lot of things in the cigarette industry.
Djarum changed their tactics, added slightly more tobacco and called them “little cigars”.
You can still get a Djarum clove, it's just about 15% more than what you used to smoke.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Born in 1970, mom, dad & 1 grandmother smoked.
I started when I was 15. When I joined up I smoked a pack a day. I tried to quit several times over 15 years

Finally quit completely when I left active duty at 30yoa.

Took me some time before I realized how bad smoking smells…all over your clothes, hair, car, house…

Wish I’d never started. Imagine all the money I could have saved

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:

Clove “cigarettes” have been banned. Happened back during the Obummer regime. It was a big deal where I worked at Harbor Wholesale because it changed a lot of things in the cigarette industry.
Djarum changed their tactics, added slightly more tobacco and called them “little cigars”.
You can still get a Djarum clove, it's just about 15% more than what you used to smoke.

So can’t have the smaller one, have to have one that is 15% larger??
That makes 100% sense!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25352 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I gave up smoking pipe tobacco when my son was born 12 years ago. I do miss it.

Posts: 11350 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mom smoked when I was growing up. Salems. Nasty things, but as kids will do, we'd steal them from time to time and sneak out behind the garage to smoke them.

In the 5th grade, I had a buddy down the street that chewed Copenhagen. That was a little rough for me, so I went with one called Happy Days. Raspberry flavored. All was good until dad caught me one day and made me eat (chew and swallow) a whole can. After spending several hours hugging the toilet, I didn't touch anything again...until college.

All my buddies chewed Copenhagen, so I started again. It was just that for a couple of years, and then I started smoking too (Winstons). Did both for a number of years until quitting smoking in '97. It was a piece of cake, but I was still chewing. Continued to do that until '06 and gave that up, using Oregon Mint pouches just to have something in there.

I was clean until a couple of years ago when we had a traveling scrub tech come through who was a cigar smoker. He got me started in on those and I surely do enjoy them. I don't "smoke" them, just puffing, but some nicotine does still soak in. That's OK though, as I do really enjoy sitting out of an evening for an hour or so with a good stick and some whiskey and solving all the world's problems.

I've been considering a pipe.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So can’t have the smaller one, have to have one that is 15% larger??
That makes 100% sense!

Back in the late 90’s I smoked a lot of cloves. I only stopped because everytime I lit one in public people wanted to bum one. I started smoking a pipe because I wanted that kind of flavor without having to give anything away so I went to a tobacco shop in the mall (back when malls were popular, and they were allowed to have tobacco shops in them) and got the pipe.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
have you never?

Since you asked: Never.*
I give credit to my parents for that. They started when it was not only practically universal, but was actually considered to be beneficial by large segments of the population. Because they were such heavy smokers, I believe my deciding to have nothing to do with the habit was a bit of unconscious adolescent rebellion against authority. So thanks, Mom and Dad.

* Except, of course, as a career soldier, through the “second hand” smoking variety. There was no escaping that for most of my 23 Army years plus my entire childhood and I’m pretty sure that the chronic cough I have is at least partially due to that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

I like Escudo, and generally prefer Virginia-based blends.

But I like the English mixtures and Latakia, too.

I'm partial to Straight VA, or a good VA/Per, or VA/fire cured KY. I also like some Latakia blended in from time to time. I mostly smoke these blends I make in RYO format, but also smoke them in a pipe. My dad was a pipe/cigar smoker, so I inherited his collection of pipes, aside from ones I bought over the years. I really enjoy smoking from the pipes I know to have been dad's favorite ones.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started smoking cigarettes when I was 18. But I only smoked about 2 packs a week. Later I would quit in the summer when I was shooting competition. When I started whitewater kayaking I quit completely. I figured I might need all the air I could get in my lungs. Now I am a pipe smoker. I use quality tobacco with no additives and only a couple times a week. I enjoy it and find it relaxing. If I ever felt that I needed it I would quit for good.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Cigarettes were still 25 cents a pack when I quit. I can’t believe people can afford to keep smoking at the cost of cigarettes today.

When I started smoking, I lived in New York. It was $5ish a pack. It went up for almost $10 within a few years. Moved to Florida, and they were $4 a pack. Then they went up to $8 and $9 a pack within a few years. Moved to Washington and the were $6 a pack and went up to just under $10 about a month after I got there. That was enough for me.

Good Grief! I had no idea they were that expensive. That sounds like house mortgaging prices just so one could afford cigarettes. I think when I quit it was $2.50 for an entire carton.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Djarum Blacks specifically they made the crappy beer we could afford kind of taste decent, plus that little crackle when you smoked was enjoyable.

I did really like cloves when I was drinking, and that was before drinking was a 24/7 occasion. I forgot all about that crackle. It used to honestly weird me out, and my lungs would hurt more when I smoked them, but they were on top of everything else. I remember hearing they were worse for you (like any of it is good for you) and eventually cut them out.

quote:

That is stupid. But we're talking about government regulations, so I repeat myself.

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Back in the late 90’s I smoked a lot of cloves. I only stopped because everytime I lit one in public people wanted to bum one.

Oh Christ, I forgot about that, too! "Is that a clove? Can I get one off you? I never smoke, but whenever someone has a clove, I just... I have to have one." Then buy your own! Yeah, that eventually also did play into it.

That reminds me. College years, when it was still a semi-social occasion to get hammered, my friends and I used to hand out half a pack or so a night to people who'd ask for one and say "I oNlY sMOkE wHeN i"M DRinKinG aNd i NEveR bUy a pAck!" Got tired of either running out by the end of the night and having to stop and buy more, or having to keep a reserve pack just so I would have enough for myself. A friend came up with the idea, but I was actually the first to go ahead and do it and it became a thing with a small group of my friends: I went to the corner store to buy smokes and told the lady at the counter "Two packs of Camel Turkish Royals," which she grabbed, "and a pack of your cheapest, nastiest menthols." The look on her face was worth the two dollars right there. That night at the bar with my friends, three or four times, I pulled out a Turkish Royal and lit it and watched some asshole watch me and I couldn't help but grin when they opened their mouth and out fell "hey, do you think I could get a cigarette off you?" I reached in my other jacket pocket and pulled out the pack of Capn Smokes and offered them one. The look on their faces was worth twice what I paid for the pack, easily. One of them actually had the nerve to say "no... I don't want one of those, I want a Turkish Royal." I told him "do you want a cigarette? Because this is what I'm offering. I'm tired of paying a dollar a cigarette when I could pay fifty cents, do you want a cigarette or not?" He declined. I was actually kinda mad. Anyway, "Capn Smokes" became a thing with our group that turned a despicable, highly irritating situation into a laugh. If you say yes, you end up giving a bunch of expensive party favors away for nothing and if you say no, people act like you've told them their breath stinks or their feet don't match or something. If you offer them a cheap, nasty menthol, they're either grateful and you're out less, they'll begrudgingly smoke it because they asked for a cigarette and got offered one, or they'll say "no," and you've saved them more tar in their lungs. It's a win all-around.

quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Good Grief! I had no idea they were that expensive. That sounds like house mortgaging prices just so one could afford cigarettes. I think when I quit it was $2.50 for an entire carton.

Yeah, it's totally absurd. I quit when it was about $100 a carton. It's even more expensive now. I worked at a gas station for a bit back in 2018 and people used to buy cartons, and I wondered how the hell they could afford it. I actually had to quit that job because I started to have nightly dreams about smoking again, handling and smelling all my old favorite brands through the packaging. I had already started thinking about buying a pack, in the same breath, wondering how the hell people could afford it. Ugh.

I couldn't do like some here have, and puff on a pipe or a cigar occasionally.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked Salem 100 for 20 years open heart surgery in 2003 in hospital for 10 days because my O2 was too low for me to be released . Never smoked again. Have COPD and just had another open heart surgery in September.

Posts: 546 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post