SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deviled Ham: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deviled Ham: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I can't recall ever having it, or if I did it was a long time ago.

Being curious, I bought a can, but haven't tried it yet. At $2.55 I thought it a little pricey. A can of tuna is half that.

I am pretty sure that I paid $3.29/can last Sunday. The price has definitely gone up since last I bought some!!

Posts: 6701 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I am pretty sure that I paid $3.29/can last Sunday. The price has definitely gone up since last I bought some!!
Recent SigForum popularity has caused a run at the grocery stores! Big Grin

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ They're restocking! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Oh the memories this thread brings back. These canned meats were always in our pantry when I was several decades younger. My father was a connoisseur of the canned delicacies mentioned here. No doubt he gained a respect for them while serving in the US Army around the world. He taught us how to make the finest potted meat sandwiches on white bread with the perfect amount of Dukes mayonnaise, sometimes with a thick slice of a ripe tomato in the summertime. Most fishing trips included Vienna sausages and packs of nabs. A late night snack would often be a can of deviled ham spread on saltines, with a jar of olives on the side. Thanks for bringing back those joyful moments.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1357 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'm sure we had it as kids, but I don't remember it. What I do remember is SOS. Mom would put bread in muffin tins and toast them like that which would turn them into little cups. Then she'd fill them up with the meat and pea gravy. That was a good meal.

I fixed dried beef gravy on toast for my wife and I last night. That’s one of the things I fondly remember from my youth.

Posts: 469 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I tried it today.

Never again. Absolutely vile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28587 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
What I do remember is SOS.
I fixed dried beef gravy on toast for my wife and I last night. That’s one of the things I fondly remember from my youth.

You love your wife much.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2791 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throughout my entire career I never saw a power company truck or van that didn't have a couple of cans of Vienna Sausages under the seat or in a tool bin . Occasionally I would see a can of potted meat or Deviled Ham . Getting caught out at night without something to tide you over was miserable .
Some of the bigger vans had microwave ovens , coffee makers and a stash of food .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
What I do remember is SOS.

You love your wife much.

I keep an ample supply of the above in my freezer at all times. I put it on baked potatoes and not toast!!

Posts: 6701 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I'll have to get some of that! Haven't had it in a long time and really enjoy it. Forgot about it. Confused

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post