SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deviled Ham: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deviled Ham: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My thread title is in homage to vthoky’s thread,
“Vienna sausages: tasty treat, or mystery meat?”
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...190078084#4190078084

I hadn’t had deviled ham since I was a kid, decades ago, but something brought it to mind, so I bought a 4-1/4 ounce can at my grocery ($2.79). The same brand, “Underwood”, that I remember from my childhood.

I had some on Triscuits for my after-supper treat. It was indeed tasty, and a nice change up from my usual cheese on Triscuits treat. It’s surprising that my memory of its taste survived the decades. I plan to buy more.

Here’s an interesting article about deviled ham and similar offerings. Scroll down a bit to see a humorous contemporary Underwood Deviled Ham advertisement.

“Nostalgia in a Can: Meats We Once Ate More Frequently”

“Canned and dehydrated meats were once very popular household items. Both were used widely during World War II, when rationing limited the availability of fresh meat. Today they’re more of a convenience item for a camping trip, lunch box, picnic basket, or underground bunker. …”

https://www.goodfoodstl.com/20...%20into%20meatballs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I've always imagined turning the can to the ingredients and after reading the fine print saying to myself "beaks?".

Posts: 1993 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a few cans in the pantry, just in case. IIRC, Underwood's products may go back to the Civil War. And related to another thread of yore; I hankered for pimento cheese the past week or two, but somehow I couldn't find any when shopping.

ETA: the deviled ham dates back to 1868, but the original company did make a number of tinned products for the Union during the Civil War.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Love it on saltines with a dash of Tobasco. Just don't read the ingredients.

Posts: 5699 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
IIRC, Underwood's products may go back to the Civil War.

No wonder they taste so bad... Wink

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we had it as kids, but I don't remember it. What I do remember is SOS. Mom would put bread in muffin tins and toast them like that which would turn them into little cups. Then she'd fill them up with the meat and pea gravy. That was a good meal.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
IIRC, Underwood's products may go back to the Civil War.

No wonder they taste so bad... Wink

I prefer SPAM myself, that goes back only to 1937. Smile

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Haven't had it since I was a kid. My mother mixed it with mayo for tasty sandwiches. Speaking of tasty sandwiches I haven't had since childhood: chopped ham and pickle!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ozempic changed my tastes & recently I have bought Deviled Ham, Spam & Vienna Sausage ( Armour original).
Deviled Ham;

https://www.nps.gov/articles/0...0above%20were%20made.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4283 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up those were treats for when we went camping. Everything tasted better camping.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ate that as a kid years ago, on crackers, saltines though.

Still like Ham Salad, Publix has it, not bad in a pinch...

Used to grind up left over holiday ham and make my own as a kid...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i haven't had it since i had it as a treat, on club crackers, saturday night when i was in grade school.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I remember my sister used to like "Potted Meat" sandwiches for lunch. This was in the 60's, don't remember the brand.

Potted meat is typically made from a finely ground combination of beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, and pork.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I recall eating many deviled ham, chicken spread and roast beef spread sandwiches when I was a young bachelor just out of college. Good times. I don't think I've had any in at least 3 decades now, maybe it would be good to add some to the "just in case" pantry.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
I haven't had deviled ham in probably 30 years. On fishing trips with dad, the only food staples on the boat were deviled ham and pimento cheese sandwiches, vienna sausages, and cheetos. There was a bit of lattitude as far as drinks were concerned, coke or water, but that was it. When I bought my first boat and was the captain for the day, he could never understand why the deviled ham and vienna sausages were not provided - Cheetos were definitely permitted aboard. Publix subs or lunch at The Crow's Nest at the mouth of the Homossassa river were his choices.

I don't know if I could bring myself to eat the deviled ham again, no way on the vienna sausages!

Posts: 2042 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always have some in the pantry.

Only on saltines though.

Remember having sandwiches of it in my younger days.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, this is a timely thread; checked the pantry and there is only one tin of deviled ham spread left. Two of corned beef, two tins of chicken spread. Time to restock as peak tropical storm/hurricane season approaches.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
wow, your post brought back memories of eating Liverwurst and Deviled Ham sandwiches growing up. I think my dad must have developed a taste for them when he was a kid.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Deviled ham, potted meat, Vienna sausages- we ate that stuff when I was a kid. If we were playing in the yard on a Saturday and we wanted a snack, it was easy to open a can of potted meat and spread it on white bread. That takes me back. Long, long time ago.

I haven't had any of it in years. I imagine it's no worse that hot dogs.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No clue. That would be mystery meat to me.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5353 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post