SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deviled Ham: tasty treat, or mystery meat?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deviled Ham: tasty treat, or mystery meat? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

it's no worse that hot dogs.
That's borderline blasphemy. Wink

It's hard to beat a Nathan's hot dog with sauerkraut, chopped onions, and a spicy deli mustard. Or a different animal, a genuine Chicago style hot dog on a poppy seed roll loaded with all the traditional Chicago type stuff. Both types use good quality all beef hot dogs. Mmmmm . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31372 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Deviled ham mystery meat? Here are recipe ingredients I found on one website:

Ham – You can use your leftover ham or purchase diced ham from the grocery store. Either way, you will need about 4 cups of finely diced ham.

Mayo – Duke’s mayonnaise is truly the way to go with this recipe, but really any brand will do.

Dijon Mustard – You must use Dijon mustard to get the tangy flavor.

Hot Sauce – Choose your favorite, but also take into consideration your own spice tolerance and that of your guests. I think 1/4 teaspoon is the perfect amount. And, I have never had any complaints from company or family.

Worcestershire Sauce – Aside from how to actually pronounce Worcestershire, this is a no brainer. I simply love Worcestershire sauce, and it marries so well with this recipe.

White Vinegar – The dish needs a little acid to cut the fat and salt and we get that from plain ol’ white vinegar.

Maybe Underwood adds something a bit more mysterious?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 229DAK,

Posts: 9247 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to throw several cans in my kit when going to the field in the Army. I rarely served in a warm climate, and C Rations (yes, I'm that old) had a can of peanut butter with some great thick crackers. Well, the peanut butter was very oily and could be ignited to form a makeshift stove, and the potted meat on crackers was much better than the peanut butter. I remember setting up a windbreak to implement this plan on a flat car (railway) in Korea, the Pusan to 2nd Div route. BTW, that was so long ago the rations actually came with a pack of 5 very strong cigarettes and some matches, random brands.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Deviled ham brings back memories. My maternal grandfather loved having it on white bread for lunch. However, it wasn't from a can, but was from the deli counter at the local grocery store. Occasionally, Mom would buy it and it'd be from the deli counter too.

A few years ago, a thread on here reminded me of it and I was able to find some at the store. Brought back memories and just as good as ever.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23643 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Underwood Deviled Ham ingredients. Sixth panel of the URL below:
HAM (CURED WITH WATER, SALT, BROWN SUGAR, SODIUM NITRITE) AND SEASONING (MUSTARD, FLOUR, SPICES, TURMERIC).

Underwood Deviled Ham Meat Spread, 4.25 Ounce (Pack of 4)
https://a.co/d/cxgeJBA

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9431 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I popped into the market today for a few things and what did I buy? Underwood Deviled Ham as a result of this thread. What a forum!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39216 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Canned meat(?) products were a common part of our meals when I lived with my grandmother 1957-1961. Fresh meat was a rarity except for chicken. I still like Deviled Ham and Spam.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7271 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deviled ham was never a pantry item growing up, and hasn’t been in my adult life. Vienna sausages were prevalent in both mine and my wife’s childhoods, they still occasionally get consumed.
While I don’t consider it a mystery meat( some of my old college roommates did ), I have kept a fondness for braunschweiger. To me the commercial, USA brand are not as much of an amalgamation as other cold cuts and it has a smoked bacon component, so what’s not to like Cool

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1547 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I had an Underwood Deviled Ham sandwich today!

Tasty!

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39216 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow and plan to pickup a couple of cans of Deviled Ham, as I haven't had any for many, many years!!

Posts: 6707 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tasty with Dukes, sweet relish, and sharp cheddar on a sammich. I do prefer, fried to a crisp, Spam the same way though.

Posts: 764 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A small can of deviled ham mixed with a package of softened cream cheese, a little grated onion and a dah or two of Worcestershire sauce makes a really good party cracker spread. You may need to thin it with a little milk.

Posts: 450 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ate plenty of deviled ham growing up. I still buy it on occasion, it’s one of those things like Spam that bring back memories and I get a hankering for.

Posts: 505 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I thought it was a delicacy. It may as well have been foie gras as far as I was concerned. So this memory was in my head when my wife and I were at Safeway. I tossed a can in the cart. Got home, broke out the crackers, spread some on and tried it.

Holy sodium bomb Batman! I wasn’t really fond of the flavor, and the texture is something I can’t do. I tried to get my wife to try some, but she was having no part of it.

I think I’ll be leaving the canned meat on the shelves from here on.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4320 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Deviled ham is too salty for me now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53235 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
When I was a kid, I thought it was a delicacy. It may as well have been foie gras as far as I was concerned. So this memory was in my head when my wife and I were at Safeway. I tossed a can in the cart. Got home, broke out the crackers, spread some on and tried it.

Holy sodium bomb Batman! I wasn’t really fond of the flavor, and the texture is something I can’t do. I tried to get my wife to try some, but she was having no part of it.

I think I’ll be leaving the canned meat on the shelves from here on.

I used to eat Vienna Sausages , esp as an evening snack with a cold beer,

we had a cat that would come running when he heard the can pop, he loved the leftover juices

went a few years and then tried a can, and yes, like eating a salt lick,

tastes change I guess, and I have not had any since,

wife grew up with the potted meat as a household snack,
about the same time she tried a can, and had the same taste change,

I would not, and still won't touch it, looks and smells worse that a can of cat food

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10564 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I used to throw several cans in my kit when going to the field in the Army. I rarely served in a warm climate, and C Rations (yes, I'm that old) had a can of peanut butter with some great thick crackers. Well, the peanut butter was very oily and could be ignited to form a makeshift stove, and the potted meat on crackers was much better than the peanut butter. I remember setting up a windbreak to implement this plan on a flat car (railway) in Korea, the Pusan to 2nd Div route. BTW, that was so long ago the rations actually came with a pack of 5 very strong cigarettes and some matches, random brands.

I liked C Rats so much, that when in the field I would often times skip the occasional ride in a deuce and a half back to the rear for a hot lunch.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
I remember my sister used to like "Potted Meat" sandwiches for lunch. This was in the 60's, don't remember the brand.

Potted meat is typically made from a finely ground combination of beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, and pork.

If it says Libbys, Libbys, Libbys
on the label, label, label..

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can't recall ever having it, or if I did it was a long time ago.

Being curious, I bought a can, but haven't tried it yet. At $2.55 I thought it a little pricey. A can of tuna is half that.

Posts: 28642 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any in probably 30 years, but out of all of the canned meats mentioned, I probably liked Underwood Deviled Ham the best. When I was young and living in the barracks (where we weren't supposed to cook), I'd often have Underwood Deviled Ham and a loaf of bread on hand.

十人十色

Posts: 2109 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post