SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should you shut off water supply to clothes washer after each use?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should you shut off water supply to clothes washer after each use? Login/Join 
posted
After listening to several friends who have experienced damage to walls and floors from washer hoses that burst while no one was home, I’ve told my wife to always shut off the water valves when finished doing the laundry. Since we have the style of valve set that has a single lever which controls both the hot and the cold water supply, it takes very little extra effort to shut off the water. It’s a simple flip of the control lever.

After 18-years, the lever snapped off when my wife started the laundry on Easter morning. It had corroded from a very minor leak at the valve body. Of course, it broke when dinner guest were just hours away! Luckily, a few buckets of water carried from the kitchen (like our grandparents used to do) dumped into the washer got the laundry done.

Fortunately, about $35 for valve parts and a couple hours of plumber’s time has everything back in working order. But, while talking with several plumbers, they all asked why we were bothering to turn off the water so often. It has made us think maybe we are being too cautious.

Thinking about one relative who lost two rooms of hardwood floors and a friend whose hose burst while he was on a weekend ski trip flooding his condo and the one beneath his, I thinking turning off the water is a wise choice. I should also mention that I installed braided reinforced hoses when we moved in.

Do you bother to turn off the water at the end of laundry day. Interested in hearing your opinions.

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Never.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nope. Just follow the good practice of new braided washer hoses every 5 years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have heard of toilet hoses getting old and breaking down, causing a flood. Do you turn off the water to your toilet after each use? I have never turned off the water to any appliance or fixture between uses and can't imagine doing so.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Sounds just like the discussion we’re having at home.

Posts: 283 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We’ve never done it, but my brother and SIL had a hose break while they were gone and it sure made a mess. They installed a manifold with lever shutoffs that’s quick and easy. That’s s one of those “round tuit” things that I never remember to do.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Never.

We do have the braided stainless hoses, which hopefully will last a long time.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I only secure the water if we will be away for more than a day.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30413 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make water sensors now that can alert you to a leak.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We do because we've had a hose break and leak. It was a three year old braided hose by the way. They're better than rubber but not infallible. Look at the inside of a braided hose and see what they're lined with.

If you chose not to, have a plumber and dry wall contractor on retainer. It wasn't inexpensive.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How compulsive are you? Do you unplug all electrical appliances in case there is a thunderstorm? This could go on forever.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Never.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
No I don't. I would be more worried about any gas dryer and the feed line to it but I don't shut that off either. If house was going to be vacant for a while then I would. I understand their are portable water alarms that can connect to wifi and send an alert if the alarm goes off.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Bathroom sinks, kitchen sinks, toilets, dishwashers, refrigerators...all have water lines going to them. Might as well cut the main every time you leave the house.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30413 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The more you operate valves the more they wear and are prone to leaks too. I’d prefer a valve leak over a hose rupture but I really don’t worry about it. My washer and dryer are in the garage anyway so it would just water the garage floor and driveway. I use quality hoses and I’ve never had a leak in 20 years though. I did have a used steel braided hose rupture on me when I was remodeling my kitchen. I was in the kitchen when it blew so it was no big deal but the quality of the box store hoses is not stellar. I use steel braided hoses in an industrial environment and have never seen them rupture like the box store hoses do. I would think the quality of the box store hoses is much less than the ones we use at work.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I leave it but replacing the hoses isnt a bad idea. I have insurance so bad comes to worse I get a home makeover. Besides you do that and then your fridge leaks, chase that and your toilet goes. Theres always a Corellian death ray, try not to worry too much about it. Regular checks and maintenance go further I think than messing with a valve constantly in my thinking.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
We don’t turn off the valves to the appliance, but I do kill the breaker to the well pump when we are out of town.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I don't turn mine off. I don't download my magazines either. And, I don't press check a gun I carry every day.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
They make water sensors now that can alert you to a leak.
There is even better than that. They have water sensors that automatically actuate the valves.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post