SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How are Michelin passenger tires?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How are Michelin passenger tires? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've always used Bridgestone (higher end tires) until I switched to Conti ExtremeContact DWS for my car. Happy w/ the switch.

But I have an 1999 ES300 that needs new tires now; currently wearing Bridgestone Turanza Serenity+ which have been pretty good. Nothing really lacking. That being said, safety first and while Conti's aren't available in the required size, there is a Michelin Premier A/S that seems relatively better rated per TR.

I've been averse to Michelin - 25 years ago, I used them briefly and was not happy with them at all. Are they better now? Any one using the Premier A/S tires? Should I switch to them or just stick w/ the known Turanza? I don't care about mileage. Just safety (dry and especially wet).

The Michelin design sounds a little weird - groove channels get wider as the tread goes down. That makes sense for hydroplaning but not for traction....? Not sure the design is good?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've used Michelin's Premier A/S on my Honda Civic for 6 years. They were great tires and performed above average on both dry and snowy roads.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
GTG

Check the line I can’t remember if the defender or the priemere just recently changed.

My mom got a nail and had to get new but they did not make one anymore I forget which.
Just make sure if you are getting a “deal” they aren’t trying to dump the overstock of the discontinued.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25704 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Michelins on my 8 Volvos, a couple of Mercedes, a Jaguar, and several Lexus ES300s, 2 LS430 and RX350, since 1973. Since ~1980 or so, I’ve bought them at Price Club now Costco. No problems, good wear, Price/Costco’s excellent service and warranty.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black, and typically round.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+

Love these on our Flex, great wet traction, quiet & 500 treadwear.

Edit: Bought these after our LBJ's review on his Escape. Huge improvement over the Nitto Motivo that were on it prior.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
After multiple horrible experiences with Michelin tires, I switched to Bridgestone Turanza's and never looked back.

Compared to the Michelin's, I get 1 less MPG, but the increased traction in all conditions is a clear advantage.

They switched production from Japan to somewhere cheaper, but the tires appear unaffected.

Michelin were so focused on fuel economy, they scarified quality and traction, kind of odd, considering how expensive they were.

In tire rack tests, it appears that the Premier A/S are the clear winner in the wet and in light snow, but I'll reserve judgement until I see a lot more reviews and miles driven.

I'm quite satisfied with my tires and they've always gotten me home in any weather, so the competition has to be even better.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
As with most any tire manufacturer, they make good ones and cheap ones. Read reviews for the model you’re looking at.

Any statement that X manufacturer makes the best tires is overly general.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16319 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Michelins have been great for me, but a cheaper alternative if they have them in your size is Uniroyal. They have been owned by Michelin since 1990.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
After multiple horrible experiences with Michelin tires, I switched to Bridgestone Turanza's and never looked back.

Compared to the Michelin's, I get 1 less MPG, but the increased traction in all conditions is a clear advantage.

They switched production from Japan to somewhere cheaper, but the tires appear unaffected.

Michelin were so focused on fuel economy, they scarified quality and traction, kind of odd, considering how expensive they were.

In tire rack tests, it appears that the Premier A/S are the clear winner in the wet and in light snow, but I'll reserve judgement until I see a lot more reviews and miles driven.

I'm quite satisfied with my tires and they've always gotten me home in any weather, so the competition has to be even better.

This sounds like my perspective. My last set of Michelin's last 1 month on the car and then had to take them off. Also, seems like Turanza is on sale at Costco; Michelin's are not on sale at Costco nor local tire shop.

Sounds like Michelin may be improving and folks here generally have good experiences, but I may stick w/ the Turanza this time around.

Thanks guys.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I'd say that even within a brand that they have good and bad tires. Historically I've had great luck with Michelin tires. However, the last set of Michelins I put on my Camry (PRIMACY MXM4) had great reviews on Tirerack, but only lasted about 30K miles. I'm used to getting 45-60K on a set of tires so I found that pretty disappointing.

I'm running General Altimax RT43's on it now - They seem to be holding up very well and they are incredibly quiet compared to the Michelins and the Bridgestones that were on the car when I bought it.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Bought the Turanza on sale. Known quantity and no real complaints with the tire.

That being said, I touched both the Michelin Premier A/S and the Turanza. The former feels like a notably stickier rubber. But the tread depth seems like half that of the Turanza.

So, seems like Michelin would be favored on dry but not sure about on wet. And seems like it would have a shorter life.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
only had them for 6K miles but Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ are fantastic.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Most have been great but the Premiere LTX tires did not make it to 30k on a light Forester. Way too soft.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I put the second set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS on my Honda S2000 last fall and also my Nissan Pathfinder. I just added a set of them to my 2015
Mazda 3.

Initially I was unsatisfied with the tires on the Mazda due to noise level. After a couple hundred miles, they settled down and the noise level decreased to the normal loudness in the Mazda - Not a quiet vehicle.

Costco had these for $130 off a couple months ago.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had consistent performance and wear on Michelin tires from Costco.

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had good results with Michelin.

I run them on the car, SUV, 4x4 and the motorcycles.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
It's too bad the Conti DWS 06 doesn't come in the right size; great tires.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+

Love these on our Flex, great wet traction, quiet & 500 treadwear.

Edit: Bought these after our LBJ's review on his Escape. Huge improvement over the Nitto Motivo that were on it prior.

I had Nitto’s on my Z3. They were excellent on traction and cornering, but wore pretty quickly.
The Pilot Sport AS3+ do a lot of things very well. They seem to be holding up very well.
I had Michelin’s on a Toyota Solara. The model of the tire escapes me now. I went thru a few sets on the car in 230k miles. They were all seasons that were used in Wisconsin (snow), St Louis all all kinds of crazy weather and Virgina. I never had any issues. Do a little research on Tire Rack.
I had looked at the Conti’s as well. They were reviewed very well. Both sets are very competative with each other.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't really beat Super Sports or Pilot Sport 4s. Sport Cup 2s are also a good option. Smile

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post