SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iOS 18 is here! Lots of new things and changes - you installing right away or gonna wait?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iOS 18 is here! Lots of new things and changes - you installing right away or gonna wait? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
I’ve been looking forward to many of the new features for both phone and watch.

Thankfully, I’ve never had any negative experiences being an early adopter of hardware or on iOS upgrades.

Biggest issue on release day is the D/L delay with the initial rush. Thinking I might wait a few days just to see what kind of horror stories come out then go ahead and update my iEverything.

I have two iPads, might start the process on one before going to sleep and play with it before doing the other stuff (iPad #2, wife’s iPad, mine/wife’s phones and watches)

Question:
For the Apple fans - are you:

Choices:
Installing new iOS ASAP
Installing new iOS after the initial rush
Installing new iOS after the first update
Not Installing new iOS - Don’t want it
Not Installing new iOS - My old Apple stuff won’t support it
I’m not Apple just came here to crap in OP’s thread ;)

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Installing now...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16954 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I installed it already. Trying to figure it out now. Some of the menus have changed.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8173 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Going to wait a bit. They usually come out with a .1 for fixes after a release

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I have it on an older phone that I use for beta testing.

For my primary, will upgrade to 17.7 for now and wait for a point release.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2713 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the rush? Is there a cost to upgrade, what does it do that the previous version does't do and do those enhancements benefit you in any meaningful way? If you can actually take advantage of new features go ahead and upgrade but if you just want it because its new might as well wait.

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Installed it yesterday. No issues that I’ve seen other than I hate that the icons for suggested websites (your frequently visited sites) in Safari are now huge. I used to be able to see 8 at a time, now it’s just 2 full icons and the top halves of another 2.

Posts: 3538 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed last night. No issues. I’ll spend some time today figuring out new features. On the surface it looks the same

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm in NO rush. I'll install 17.7 for now (updating from 17.5.1), as I figure that should be completely sorted out by now after Apple somehow needed to release two different versions of 17.6.1 to get that one right. Plus, there's plenty of time, and there will likely be issues anyway (there always are!), along with plenty of follow on updates to resolve them. I'll let others be the 'Beta Testers'...

Nearly every problem that anyone ever had with a device was associated with a software update to said device, which was working perfectly fine until the update, and then it wasn't! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I installed the security update, but I’m gonna wait till the first update on 18.

Posts: 3273 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm still on 17.5.1
No need to jump right in.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It probably has 300 NEW emojis. Roll Eyes

I’ll wait.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9471 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^ And a TON of AI...In next month's update! Roll Eyes

According to Apple, it's the most 'personal' iOS to date, actually allowing the user to place their shortcuts wherever they please on the their home screen(s)...Something you could do w/ Android since it's inception! Now you can arrange shortcuts on the screen so you can see certain aspects of the wallpaper if YOU so choose...Finally!

Of course there are new emojis, AND a lot of new editing features/improvements to iMessage as well. They also updated iMessage to support RCS, so all the Android users are no longer offended that their texts are indicated in Green (instead of Blue...bubbles?) on other people's iPhones! Roll Eyes

There actually are a lot of desirable features in the iOS 18 update, but I'll wait.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom...d-capable-than-ever/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I’ll probably update soon. No idea what the new stuff is, I never look. I just try to figure it out once it’s dl’d.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2556 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
17.5.1 and staying with it. Turned auto update off. I want to know how to disable most if not all of the AI crap.

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Currently Preparing Update, will report results of the process once it's back online.

Update!

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I usually wait a day or two for the obvious problems, if any, to be addressed.
I've never had any major issues with their updates so the temptation is always there to see what's new.
Windows on the other hand, not so quick to pull the trigger.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I only want security improvements.

I hate when they change settings, menus, where things are, and how to do things. I know how to do the things I do, and don't enjoy having to hunt for what they've changed so that I can either reset it or figure out how to accomplish what I already was doing under the old ios.

Posts: 9755 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I installed it this morning, no issues and I like the new look.

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My SOP is to wait and let the rest of you early adopters be the bug testers and Guinea pigs.

I just got a new iPhone 15 Pro Max too and am not bricking it.

I'd also like to say I'm not a fan of the USB-C connection, I know, I know it's universal and everyone uses it but my Lightning connectors always seemed to have a nice positive little "snap" when plugging in and this USB-C seems to have more of a worrying-sounding "crunch" when it makes contact and I can't see how that is more robust.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post