SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iOS 18 is here! Lots of new things and changes - you installing right away or gonna wait?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iOS 18 is here! Lots of new things and changes - you installing right away or gonna wait? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I did my phone & Ipad yesterday.
I haven't had time to look around much yet but there have been no problems at all.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also did phone and iPad. No issues or glitches.
There also were no “tutorials” or guides commandeering the screen. They looked so normal I wondered if the upgrade failed.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
After learning the hard way years ago that some iUpdates mess up apps, after a major revision I always wait to update the OS in my iPad until after I see updates for all my key apps are available for download.

To be fair I also do this for my Android phone. The likelihood of an underlying change in an OS messing up some application is always there. Updates are, essentially, "bug swaps" after all.

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Installed iOS 18 yesterday on an iPhone 11. The main thing that I noticed, the phone seems to be a bit quicker, "snappy" response when launching and using some apps.

Subjective. I have not actually measured anything.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31449 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife installed IOS 18 on Tuesday and discovered yesterday that Apple Carplay will not connect with her phone.

Lots of complaints on the net about this and the only solution that we could get to work was to use the power cord to plug her phone into the car. When the phone is plugged in the phone connects and works well but as soon as it is unplugged it disconnects again. The phone shows that it is connected to the vehicle by bluetooth but the vehicle cant find the phone.

It normally wouldn't be a big issue but she is taking a road trip with her sister next week and really wants to have waze available.

I'm glad I always wait a week or two to update my phone.

Posts: 272 | Location: Oregon | Registered: May 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Installed on my iPhone.

I have found the “send later” for text messages to be very helpful.

The ability to iMessage when there is zero service via satellite, I could see being very useful where I live.

The new photo layout seems okay, it’ll take some getting used to, but I see the advantages of finding photos.

Ability to modify where the icons are at on your home screen is pretty nice.

Having a document scanner included is fantastic.

Passwords are now an app or have their own icon, this is great as I spent a lot of time searching for it in settings.

So far it’s a pretty good upgrade. I find this upgrade to be the most useful one they have come out with. All the small changes on this upgrade have had a positive impact for me. Prior upgrades didn’t make much of a difference to me in the past.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the new Apple watch and it requires my phone to have IOS 18 so have no choice but to upgrade now.

Guess I'll do some yardwork while waiting for my phone to update.....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’m having issues with Google maps and the app my job uses for payroll. Other than that it’s been fine.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I like that on Calendar when it shows the month there has been a dot on the day there's something scheduled, now it also shows a brief description of the event, which is helpful.

But it took me a while how to only allow calls from my contacts. Have to go to settings > screen time > Communication Limits > During Screen Time select Contacts Only: To allow communication only with your contacts.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Still waiting. No plans to accept the update yet.

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I like that on Calendar when it shows the month there has been a dot on the day there's something scheduled, now it also shows a brief description of the event, which is helpful.

But it took me a while how to only allow calls from my contacts. Have to go to settings > screen time > Communication Limits > During Screen Time select Contacts Only: To allow communication only with your contacts.

The calendar has actually been like that for several updates. If you want, your reminders will also show up now. I like it on the iPhone, but not so much on the iPad.

I’m not sure how the screen time thing works. The best way I know of to only get calls from your contacts hasn’t changed, but now you have to go to Settings > Apps > Phone then down to Silence Unknown Callers.

Posts: 3273 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
iOS 18.0.1 just released.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16954 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I updated my work iPhone and did the recent update and no issues so far, but we are very limited in the apps we can have on the phone. I am still waiting a while before doing personal iPhone and iPad.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8755 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post