SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christmas Eve Launch of the James Webb Space Telescope planned.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Eve Launch of the James Webb Space Telescope planned. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
The technology and set up to launch this observatory has been going on since August.

Very interesting design.

Story from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59692930

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. A very interesting sub-link in your link:

James Webb: Hubble telescope successor faces 'two weeks of terror'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...environment-59138682

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Thanks for the post. A very interesting sub-link in your link:

James Webb: Hubble telescope successor faces 'two weeks of terror'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/sci...environment-59138682

I read that article, also, the whole development story of this gigantic space telescope is amazing. Thanks for adding that link.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Been waiting for this forever. Been delayed 3-4 times just this year, twice this month, and many times over the years. Once launched it will take six months to unfurl and cool to operating temperature. We won't get images for six months, they they probably won't be released to the public for weeks or months after that.

All these years and all this money can be wasted if just one failure in deployment happens. If I recall correctly, there are 130+ release points for the thing to unfold.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Been waiting for this forever. Been delayed 3-4 times just this year, twice this month, and many times over the years. Once launched it will take six months to unfurl and cool to operating temperature. We won't get images for six months, they they probably won't be released to the public for weeks or months after that.

All these years and all this money can be wasted if just one failure in deployment happens. If I recall correctly, there are 130+ release points for the thing to unfold.

Goobers … (and origami)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
JWST is a disgusting example of government spending mismanagement. There were plenty of opportunities for an adult to shut this program down over the past 20 years. How many astronomer and astrophysicist careers have been stunted due to the ever expanding budgets from JWST and SLS?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
How many astronomer and astrophysicist careers have been stunted due to the ever expanding budgets from JWST and SLS?

Less than zero.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Bob Zimmerman (Behind the Black) keeps a close watch on the space program. Here's his latest discussion on the Webb.

https://audioboom.com/posts/79...n-behindtheblack-com

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I hope it all goes well. No shuttle to send folks up to fix it.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've been following the JWST since it was first proposed and its going to be great to finally get it to its home

it promises to be absolutely spectacular if it works as advertised. And I hope it lives up to the billing and the cost - the information will be priceless

but its a one shot deal - unlike the Hubble which could have been services from orbit, this one is on its own with no way to un-stick a stuck spring or a bent wire...

I can't wait to see first light, but I'm glad I'm not on the science team puckering it out

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
How many astronomer and astrophysicist careers have been stunted due to the ever expanding budgets from JWST and SLS?

Less than zero.

Unfortunately, the number is greater than zero. Much greater. I’ve listened to a few assistant and associate professors who have said that funding has been exceptionally tight due to JWST and SLS.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

Doesn’t matter if the shuttle was still flying, JWST is going out to L2. That’s beyond the Moon. Not much hope of mechanical fixes out there.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Doesn’t matter if the shuttle was still flying, JWST is going out to L2. That’s beyond the Moon. Not much hope of mechanical fixes out there.

Might they attempt to erect/assemble the many mirror components while the JWST is still accessible in earth orbit? Then, and only then, send it on to L2…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
quote:

Might they attempt to erect/assemble the many mirror components while the JWST is still accessible in earth orbit? Then, and only then, send it on to L2…

Was considered to build in LEO then boost to L2, but they concluded it was not viable to do it that way. The ultra thin sun reflectors could get easily damaged by micro asteroids or orbital debris was one of the factors.

L2 is still accessible for repairs, but the cost would be astronomical (pun intended) and take years to gear up a launch vehicle and plan, which would limit the useful life of JWST, if they were even able to put together a plan.

They only get one shot, they can't miss the chance, this opportunity comes only once in a lifetime, they better lose themself in the science.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Holy cow, it's going to be almost 4 times as far away from Earth as the Moon! Is it going to be in an Earth orbit or solar orbit? And ya, there's no going out there to fix it.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I almost agree with HuskySig but not quite. While I disagree with him that the JWST is a waste I do agree that the SLS is a colossal waste and nothing more than a make work program for a couple of congressional districts.

I think SpaceX has proven that it’s better, faster, and cheaper and it gets the job done.

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why not put a science station on the back side of the moon. There could be Comcast units orbiting or wired on towers to connect with home base

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
The current price tag for JWST is what, $10B? The life expectancy is 10 years. So basically $1B/year of life expectancy. There’s a lot of other science that could be accomplished with that budget. It’s also hard to imagine a more complicated Rube Goldberg device than JWST.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
agreed its over-priced and risky

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Shift ample money from elsewhere and triple their funding. Enlarge NASA and the related agencies, it's some of the only good and interesting things our government does or has ever done with our money.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post