SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ice cube tray saga... your experiences?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ice cube tray saga... your experiences? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Since replacing old school metal ice cube trays eons ago, I have been plagued over the years with short life spans (couple years max) as they all seem to develop leaks or cracks regardless of claims or brand. Latest has been these Kitch easy release jobs with standard 1.25" cubes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLUCKGE/

Maybe I'm expecting too much to think that they should last more than 2 years.

I picked up some 2" square silicon cube trays for cocktails. Same manufacturer (Kitch) and they've been nice although I've only had them since last October.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013KZE0YI/

Spent an inordinate amount of time researching what's out there to replace my failing standard trays and came up with these silicon reinforced numbers. Spendy but hopefully as good as all the various sites indicate. We'll see....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076MM9HB5/

Oh, as an aside, I've never been a fan of built in refrigerator ice makers / chilled water delivery deals. Saw too many issues with lines, filters, etc. from others including from those in military housing over the years.

What have you found (make / material) to best suit your needs?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm no help.

I'm a big fan of refrigerator ice makers and have been for 20+ years.

I do have an auxiliary outboard ice maker that works well also, though and perhaps you'd like one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Frigidaire outboard ice maker. I'm using it as I type to produce an additional 4 pounds or so of ice that the refrigerator ice maker can't make in the time frame I want it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Silicone is the way to go if you have to make them yourself.

The fridge we bought seven years ago had an icemaker in it, the first for us, and I could never go back to making my own ice cubes. I’m too lazy, LOL

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The silicone stuff isn't cheap, but should make removing the cubes easier.

Me, I'm a fan of ice makers in the fridge, just change the filter as required and they work nicely. Be interesting to see how those work.

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I suspect the plastic ones don't last due to all the torqueing and twisting and banging you're doing to hard, cold plastic on a regular basis.

The silicone ones should be immune to all that. They can take temperature extremes and are flexible.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The RubberMaid-brand standard ice cube trays have worked well for me for decades.

Recently, I picked up a couple of 3-4" ball-shaped plastic/silicone molds that I like from the accessories aisle at Total Wine. They also had the big cube molds.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
The RubberMaid-brand standard ice cube trays have worked well for me

I had their quick release trays before which is why I tried the quick release ones from Kitch. Neither lasted more than a couple years. And yes they get daily use.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
HRK,
I'm easily old enough to have used those. Big Grin
But, as said in my opening post, long ago moved on from them.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
HRK,
I'm easily old enough to have used those. Big Grin
But, as said in my opening post, long ago moved on from them.

yeah had to post the ad, I too remember those from when I was a kid at my grandparents place, we had them for a while until the ice maker hit the scene.

You could opt for a set of these ...

Handgun and Boolits Ice Trays

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

You could opt for a set of these ...

Lots of wild ice mold trays out there. Some rather randy. hehehehehehe

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
The RubberMaid-brand standard ice cube trays have worked well for me for decades.

Recently, I picked up a couple of 3-4" ball-shaped plastic/silicone molds that I like from the accessories aisle at Total Wine. They also had the big cube molds.

We bought 4 Rubbermaid trays around 5 years ago and they are still like new.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I remember those metal trays. My cousin once double-dog dared me to touch my tongue to one. The result was predictable but funny now.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim,
Must be we're a lot rougher on them then you. As said they didn't last any longer than the like styled Kitch quick release trays we bought to replace the Rubbermaid ones.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim,
Must be we're a lot rougher on them then you. As said they didn't last any longer than the like styled Kitch quick release trays we bought to replace the Rubbermaid ones.

That's odd. We don't handle them roughly and don't necessarily baby them either. They just work.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife uses those rubber ones to freeze the bone broth she makes into cubs. Pretty convenient actually. I buy bagged ice. It's easy. Cold and solid, best for drinks.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Rubbermaid brand have been the best for us. Just some white plastic but it is different.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ice cube trays cost $2-3 a piece for those plastic ones. 2 years is a good run for an item used daily that costs $2-3.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Ice cube trays cost $2-3 a piece for those plastic ones. 2 years is a good run for an item used daily that costs $2-3.

I was waiting to see who would chime in with the "they're el cheapo disposable" line. Roll Eyes

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Rubbermaid. I lay them out on the counter, set a timer for 8 minutes and then twist the trays into a storage container. We don’t have an ice maker.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post