SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paging the lawn care experts:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging the lawn care experts: Login/Join 
posted
Is there a commonly available herbicide or fertilizer/herbicide combination that will kill crabgrass without harming clover?

Don't mind the erosion control and nitrogen enrichment of the clover, but crabgrass is no bueno.

Would prefer an granular lawn spreader type application.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Don’t know of one.

Crabgrass Pre_emergent is the only thing that come to my mind right off.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I had crabgrass pretty bad after my St Augustine grass established, post sodding. Then started using pre-emergent spring and fall and have not seen it since (6 years). I use Dimension 2EW.

I'm not sure if it is detrimental to clover however.

I get nutsedge here and there most years but it's minimal.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, pre-emergent is what you want. I use Scotts Halts in granule form.

If you already have crabgrass, it's too late this year. The pre-emergent has to go down before the crabgrass sprouts. But you can apply late winter next year.

Posts: 32542 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yep, pre-emergent is what you want. I use Scotts Halts.

If you already have crabgrass, it's too late this year. The pre-emergent has to go down before the crabgrass sprouts. But you can apply late winter next year.

The OP is asking if that will prevent/kill the clover too though.

I think that answer is yes, I’m not even sure there’s any sort of pre-emergent that distinguishes between crabgrass and clover?

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope, Scotts Halts crabgrass pre-emergent should not affect clover. It only works on crabgrass and a select few other grassy weeds, like foxtail and poa.

(And from personal experience, it certainly doesn't prevent clover from growing in my yard.)

I use Halts to prevent crabgrass before it appears, then apply 2,4-D to kill broadleaf weeds like clover after they appear.

2,4-D is kind of the opposite of Halts. It's a post-emergent herbicide that doesn't affect grassy weeds (or normal grasses), just broadleaf weeds.

Posts: 32542 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is clover A Bad Thing? I'm thinking honey bees.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30713 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Arrest Max is the grass herbicide that people use who intentionally plant clover food plots for hunting. Make sure it's what you want as it will kill nearly all of the following grasses:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clover is good as far as I"m concerned.

Rogue, thanks for the recommendation.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nope, Scotts Halts crabgrass pre-emergent should not affect clover. It only works on crabgrass and a select few other grassy weeds, like foxtail and poa.

(And from personal experience, it certainly doesn't prevent clover from growing in my yard.)

I use Halts to prevent crabgrass before it appears, then apply 2,4-D to kill broadleaf weeds like clover after they appear.

2,4-D is kind of the opposite of Halts. It's a post-emergent herbicide that doesn't affect grassy weeds (or normal grasses), just broadleaf weeds.
Scott's label leaves a lot to be desired so I just checked domyown.com to find another product with the same active ingredient (pendimethalin). It said safe for Crimson clover but would kill hop clover (white clover family).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23308 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank's for putting in the links!

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Is clover A Bad Thing? I'm thinking honey bees.

No it's not and before the rise of the lawncare industry post-WWII, it was DESIRED in lawns!

Before World War II and the advent of chemicals, clover was used as a great companion with turf grass. It was added to seed blends, along with fescues, ryegrasses and Kentucky bluegrass, because it helped grass thrive

I'm going to be sowing microclover into my lawn this spring, it's supposed to live well alongside the grass, it pulls nitrogen in from the atmosphere and I'm done paying to have chemicals put on my lawn. A friend who owns a Lawn Doctor franchise recently told me his costs for fertilizer and other supplies are going nuts because of all this worldwide craziness, so those companies are going to be raising their prices significantly soon if they already haven't.

Posts: 33853 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend who owns a Lawn Doctor franchise recently told me his costs for fertilizer and other supplies are going nuts because of all this worldwide craziness, so those companies are going to be raising their prices significantly soon if they already haven't.

I use this stuff:
LESCO 50 lb. 19-0-7 Dimension Crabgrass Preventer

Between the time I checked the price on-line and the time I stopped at Home Depot the price went from $60 to $68.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24164 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
A friend who owns a Lawn Doctor franchise recently told me his costs for fertilizer and other supplies are going nuts because of all this worldwide craziness, so those companies are going to be raising their prices significantly soon if they already haven't.

I use this stuff:
LESCO 50 lb. 19-0-7 Dimension Crabgrass Preventer

Between the time I checked the price on-line and the time I stopped at Home Depot the price went from $60 to $68.

Menard's has their house brand for 40, on sale for 30 after rebate. I've used it for a couple years & it does as well as name brand.

Clover is a perennial - pre-emergent is not good for seed, but it won't harm what is already there. Some pre-emergents may not affect germination of clover, but I wouldn't use a pre-emergent prior to seeding anything.
The clover in my yard is pretty hardy against post-emergent herbicide too (trimec). I don't care, it's green & isn't a sandbur or puncturevine.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post