SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil changes..getting spendy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil changes..getting spendy Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Rotella T6 5w40 and T6 15w40 both meet the Ford spec and say so right on the jug.

Actually, I think this statement needs further investigation.

Look on the oil forum (BITOG) and you will find that when the diesel oils were reformulated to the latest spec CK4, is when Ford started having damaged engine problems. The oil companies lowered the additive levels in the new specification. The Ford spec as I can tell that the Powerstroke engine needs met, is Ford WSS-M2C171-F1. Rotella T6 5W40 does not meet this spec, but the T6 15W40 does. Delo 15W40 does not appear to meet the spec either. Mobil Delvac 15W40 does not meet the spec either. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 does not meet the spec either. The Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme does meet the spec.

If I was running a $20,000 powerstroke engine in my truck, I would make sure that the oil meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F1

Posts: 6659 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Kirkland brand full synthetic from Costco is a good way to save a few bucks. I'd be comfortable running it in my high-mileage motors.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Rotella T6 5w40 and T6 15w40 both meet the Ford spec and say so right on the jug.

Actually, I think this statement needs further investigation.

Look on the oil forum (BITOG) and you will find that when the diesel oils were reformulated to the latest spec CK4, is when Ford started having damaged engine problems. The oil companies lowered the additive levels in the new specification. The Ford spec as I can tell that the Powerstroke engine needs met, is Ford WSS-M2C171-F1. Rotella T6 5W40 does not meet this spec, but the T6 15W40 does. Delo 15W40 does not appear to meet the spec either. Mobil Delvac 15W40 does not meet the spec either. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 does not meet the spec either. The Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme does meet the spec.

If I was running a $20,000 powerstroke engine in my truck, I would make sure that the oil meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F1

The four oils I mentioned all meet that specific Ford spec. It’s right on the bottle. Your information about T6 5w40 is out of date. It’s true that 5 years ago, when I bought my then new truck, the T6 5w40 did not meet the spec which is why I used the Valvoline. About 2 years ago, that changed. Here’s the list from Ford: Link. It’s on page 2, 4th from the top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10791 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Just order T6 from Walmart.com and have it delivered directly to your door.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Just had my Tacoma done at the dealership. $72. Had my wife's Avalon done at Speedy oil change, $92. I'm too old to climb under our vehicles, and although the dealership service takes longer I feel better about it. Plus coffee and doughnuts.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Was at Costco this week, cruised the automotive aisle, plenty of Mobil 1, but did notice a new Kirkland (Costco Brand) oil option and they have it for diesels.

Link

3 Pack of gallons is $36.

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For years I have used Valvoline full synthetic 20w50 motor oil in my high performance (older) cars.......it gets really hot where I live. I do all of my own oil changes, as I own a hydraulic lift. Well, Valvoline has decided that they no longer need/want to produce 20w50 oil, so they stopped. I can still find it on e-bay and purchase it by the case, but it has definitely gotten more expensive. The older engines were put together with much larger tolerances than these newer engines.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Mine takes 10 quarts of Mobil 1.

The oil and filter run about fifty bucks.

I can't complain.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Rotella 5-40 in everything from trucks to loaders to excavators to mowers, etc. I use a lot of it. So after reading this post about shortages I glanced at my local store where there is normally perhaps 200 gallons of it in various sizes. Completely Bare. Very strange as amazon seems to show it available. I won't be in a panic for awhile as I stock it personally, but seems pretty sad we are now in oil shortages.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

We tried. It's said unavailable. No one in my area has anything on the shelves. We called all over the place. NAPA, etc. no luck. It's crazy.

I also got this info off of the Mobile 1 website.

https://www.mobil.com/en-us/pa...bo-diesel-truck-5w40

This is the filler cap on my truck

And then the ratings listed on the Mobile 1 oil I used. It looks to me as if it's now rated for my engine.

What am I missing? Thx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coloradohunter44,

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Well that's disappointing news as I use it in my 6.7 cummins. I have enough for one more oil change but try to stay one ahead.

I used to source it from Tractor Supply as they seemed to have the best prices.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

We tried. It's said unavailable. No one in my area has anything on the shelves. We called all over the place. NAPA, etc. no luck.

I ordered two gallons of T6-15w40 and one gallon of T4 yesterday from Walmart.com. The T4 just showed up. The T6 shows the order is getting ready. I’ll post back if it shows up. It says Nov 9th.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
What am I missing? Thx

What you are missing is the cap on your truck and owner’s manual calls for CJ-4. The owner’s manual says CK-4 oil is fine as well as long as it meets Ford spec WSS-M2C171-F1. The oil you purchased is CK-4 oil that does not meet the Ford spec. The only Mobil 1 oil that does is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0w40 and it's really, really expensive.

On another note, I stopped at a Walmart in Stuart, FL and they have no 5w40 that meets the Ford spec. There’s just empty spaces on the shelves where the T6 and Valvoline used to be. Also, the Supertech DEF that’s $7.88 for 2.5 gallons is missing from the shelves as well.

Amazon has the Valvoline 5w40 for $30 a gallon.

Posts: 10791 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What am I missing? Thx

What you are missing is the cap on your truck and owner’s manual calls for CJ-4. The owner’s manual says CK-4 oil is fine as well as long as it meets Ford spec WSS-M2C171-F1. The oil you purchased is CK-4 oil that does not meet the Ford spec. The only Mobil 1 oil that does is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0w40 and it's really, really expensive.

On another note, I stopped at a Walmart in Stuart, FL and they have no 5w40 that meets the Ford spec. There’s just empty spaces on the shelves where the T6 and Valvoline used to be. Also, the Supertech DEF that’s $7.88 for 2.5 gallons is missing from the shelves as well.

Amazon has the Valvoline 5w40 for $30 a gallon.

The label in the picture I posted says it meets or exceeds both of those requirements. CJ-4 and CK-4......

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s a CK-4 oil that does not meet Ford’s requirements. I’m not making this up and neither is bubbatime. Below is the text from Ford detailing the issue with CK-4 oil in the 6.7 Powerstroke. Call Ford and ask them if the oil you bought meets the Ford spec. Go to the Mobil website and put your trucks information in and see what Mobil recommends for your truck. It ain’t the one you bought.

"Updated Ford Motor Company CK-4/FA-4 Ford Position Statement

Due to Ford Motor Company’s commitment to continuous improvement, Ford will keep our customer informed of changes to this situation
On December 1, 2016 the American Petroleum Institute (API) began licensing two new diesel motor categories CK-4 and FA-4. API CK-4 was released to replace CJ-4. FA-4 is a low viscosity diesel oil released for diesel engines designed for a lower viscosity oil.
API FA-4
Due to its low viscosity FA-4 should not be used in any Ford diesel vehicles at this time.
API CK-4
Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines, new or old. Ford testing has shown some CK-4 type formulations have shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016.
Ford now recommends using oils that meet our OEM specification, Ford Material Engineering Specification WSS-M2C171-F1. Similar to many other diesel engine manufacturers who also only recommend oils meeting their own OEM specifications. WSS-M2C171-F1 contains all the requirements of CK-4 with additional Ford requirements for added engine protection. The customer should use an oil that meets this Ford specification
For a short period of time an oil showing CJ-4 in the API donut, without showing CK-4, would be acceptable for service even if not showing WSS-M2C171-F1. This oil would most likely be an older CJ-4 formulation, developed and licensed prior to 2016. Years of experience and Ford testing has shown that these older CJ-4 formulations provide the necessary engine protection in all Ford diesel engines where CJ-4 and older C categories are recommended. Some of these CJ-4 oils could be available for up to a year after December 1, 2016.
To insure you protect your Ford diesel engine use Motorcraft Super Duty Motor meeting API CJ-4. A Motorcraft Super Duty Motor meeting WSS-M2C171-F1 will be available 1st quarter 2017. Check this Motorcraft website for diesel motor oils approved by Ford Motor Company for servicing Ford diesel engines; https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlu...p?select=%5BMotor%20 Oil%5D
Extra Precaution

The customer should not use oils labeled CK-4/SN unless they have been approved by Ford Motor Company to meet WSS-M2C171-F1. This is possible with SAE 10W-40, 15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40 oils. At this time SAE 10W-30 oils showing CK-4/SN cannot meet WSS-M2C171-F1 and should be avoided. So if unsure avoid CK-4 oils that also shows SN in the API donut.
AND NEVER use C category oils in gasoline engines with emissions catalysts, even if they show SN in the API donut, like CK-4/SN, CJ-4/SN, etc, UNLESS they also show the Starburst symbol on the front label stating “American Petroleum Institute Certified for Gasoline Engines”. SN oils without a Starburst symbol can be harmful to your vehicles catalyst and reduce fuel economy."

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Trapper189 I appreciate the education on this. I had no idea that despite what's on the label, they don't list this oil as recommended. I don't do any what I call severe driving or heavy towing with this truck currently, but I'll continue to read and learn more about oils in general. Are their additives one can purchase to improve these oils? Thx again for the info.

FBLM LGB!

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Do NOT try to formulate your own engine oil! We do this every day, and the balance of components within the oil is critically important.

To qualify one engine oil for a standard, such as CK-4, the testing is MILLIONS of dollars. To meet an OEM specification is even more challenging. It can take two years for OEM suppliers and the OEM to fully evaluate the product. There are seasonal proving ground requirements and if you miss the cold winter or the hot summer, you wait until the next year.

I will see if I can find a list of qualified engine oils to the Ford specification.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
If you're an auto diyer buying in bulk on sale is the best way to go. I maintain 2 light duty trucks, 1 suv, 1 commuter sedan, and 1 high performance muscle car. I buy everything by the gallon or 5 qt jugs. If I find a good price on Wix filters (not the extended wix filters, the regular wix filters are better, though both are the best I can find technical spec wise), I run all wix filters on all those vehicles as well. Same w/Wix air filters.

When using top or near-top tier motor oils, with top tier oil filters, doing your own changes will still not be "cheap", whatever that means these days. BUT, if you want the best protection for your engines, this is the wtg. If you ask a shop for those specific oils and specific filters, they will add their own charge on top of what you are already paying full retail for top tier components. THAT is what I call an expensive oil change.

BTW, based on recent stuff I've seen on the net, it LOOKS like Shell Rotella Gas Truck & SUV Full Syn motor oil is better than Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Syn. I will start replacing my stash with that stuff when it's time to restock.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
I have Walmart change my oil. $20...........you bring your own oil.

Posts: 172 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Seriously ? BYO filter too ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post