SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oil changes..getting spendy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil changes..getting spendy Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skywag:
I have Walmart change my oil. $20...........you bring your own oil.

They do that? That's a game changer, like when I found out the Ford dealer would rotate my tires for $10 and I get to sit in their comfy chairs, eat free donuts, and use their wi-fi.

Even on my truck, which has a Fumoto valve and enough ground clearance I can change the oil and filter without lifting it, I'd seriously consider giving someone $20 to do it for me and I provide the oil and filter. The Fumoto valve makes draining the oil easy, but I still have to drag the used oil somewhere. Then there's the oil filter, which I punch a hole in to drain, but still winds up with oil draining down the side when I first loosen it.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t take a lawn mower to Walmart for an oil change.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

He has a point. Unless you know the dude doing the work, it would be a calculated risk. Imagine the dude confusing a bottle of mineral spirits with motor oil or a gallon of sawdust. Couldn't happen ? Darwin is already overbooked.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Seriously ? BYO filter too ?

Actually, they will supply the filter AND the oil. It is called their "Pit Stop" service. Your car is filled with Quaker State dino oil. I just supply them with Mobil 1..................same price.
https://athriftydiva.com/pit-crew-oil-change-walmart/

BTW........they do a GREAT job and have all sorts of checks so there are no mistakes.

Posts: 173 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Yea.............Like a dealer never makes mistakes............DREAM ON!

Posts: 173 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
At Walmart right now getting new tires on my truck. It’s always entertaining. They have rules, no vehicles over 10,000lbs which would be fine except they go by GVWR and not actual weight. So an F250 @ 10,000lbs is ok, but my SRW F350 @ 11,400lbs, well…

I asked about the oil change and it’s not $20 for a diesel truck, so there goes that idea.

Back to the original topic: they are out of any oil that meets the Ford spec. Shell, Valvoline, Motorcraft, and even Super Tech. SuperTech is debatable on meeting the Ford spec. At one point it was on the Ford approved list, but it is no longer on the list. It lists the Ford spec on the bottle, but doesn’t actual have any wording at all saying or even implying it meets the spec. No oil filters either.

Stock up now if you can find the oil and filters cheap.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I used to let WalMart change the oil on some of my older, cheaper vehicles. Until they left the filler cap off and the dipstick sticking up, out of position about 2”.

After that happened I decided I needed to crawl underneath my truck to make sure the oil filter had been replaced and tightened, and the drain plug tightened. If I have to crawl underneath for that I might just as well change the oil myself. Some WalMart stores may have competent auto techs, but you never know who they are going to assign your vehicle to.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Exactly. It's worse than the Doctor who graduates last in his class from medical school. He's still a doctor, but he passed and graduated. The guys who don't replace drain plugs, oil filler caps, don't add the full amount, overfill the oil pan, etc., any of which will destroy your engine before you notice something is wrong, never graduated from oil change school.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My Shell Rotella T-6 15w40 is almost here from Walmart.com. It's taken awhile, but it should arrive by tomorrow.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Like I said on page one, just order it from Walmart. It took ten days, but it was less than $20 a gallon and the shipping was free.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not just oil in short supply.

I had to go to 5 different auto parts stores for an engine air filter for the wife's Chrysler Pacifica.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Like I said on page one, just order it from Walmart. It took ten days, but it was less than $20 a gallon and the shipping was free.

I guess I pass. Look at the price. Seriously? Ouch. Mine calls for 5-40W. No more Shell for me.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^ That's not Walmart, but some price gouger using their platform. Walmart should pull their listings and ban these types of sellers.

If you ever get over to Utah, I've got ten gallons of T6 5w40 setting in the shop. I don't use it anymore since they came out with 15w40.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Consider Rockauto.com for oil/air/fuel/cabin filters and oil. I just placed a order for my Duramax and prices appear very reasonable with $7 ground shipping.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
What is the general consensus of using Amazon for such things?

Assuming Amazon is the actual seller and shipper, not some bozo selling crap on their website.

I usually use my local NAPA warehouse store for car parts and supplies, etc, but sometimes I think I might try Amazon to bring it to my front door.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
Consider Rockauto.com for oil/air/fuel/cabin filters and oil. I just placed a order for my Duramax and prices appear very reasonable with $7 ground shipping.

Thx for the info.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
^^ That's not Walmart, but some price gouger using their platform. Walmart should pull their listings and ban these types of sellers.

If you ever get over to Utah, I've got ten gallons of T6 5w40 setting in the shop. I don't use it anymore since they came out with 15w40.

Thanks for the offer. Ya never know where you're gonna end up around here..ha.

FBLM LGB!

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
$126 yesterday at express for GFs 4 runner.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Be prepared to pay even more in the future people. Its not going to get better for Shell oil fan boys from what I've seen in articles. This article from Oct 2020 shows you the direction Shell is heading. Keep in mind Shell also owns Pennzoil and Quaker state.

European oil giant Royal Dutch Shell expects to cut up to 9,000 jobs, or about 10% of its workforce, as it seeks to transform into a more sustainable energy producer, the company said Wednesday.

That transformation — known internally as Project Reshape, according to Reuters — will result in a number of other dramatic changes to Shell, the third-largest oil company in the West.

Shell plans to shrink the number of refineries it operates to fewer than 10, down from 55 a decade and a half ago. Based in The Hague, Netherlands, the company will also focus on producing more clean energy from sources like wind and solar while investing in biofuels and hydrogen gas.

In April 2020, Shell committed to becoming a net-zero emissions company by 2050, meaning it will produce no more greenhouse gas emissions than it captures.

https://www.businessinsider.co...f-oil-and-gas-2020-9

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to the Nissan dealer today for my oil change . $54.53 for 6qts M1 and a Nissan filter . Tire rotation included . And they didn't try to upsell me on anything !

Posts: 4048 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post